IGNORED

2 killed, 15 injured in police chase of speeding biker

John in VA

I thought they where just suppose to get the

license plate number and pick them up later.

Must have wanted this guy real bad.

Nothing in this that says the motorcyclist was trying to run or that this was a pursuit. We jump to that conclusion, but where are the facts.....?

wrestleantares
Nothing in this that says the motorcyclist was trying to run or that this was a pursuit. We jump to that conclusion, but where are the facts.....

The accident was set in motion about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's police cruiser chasing the motorcycle on the outer loop near the Ritchie Marlboro Road exit slammed into a vehicle after the motorcycle cut in front of the car, police said.

The officers involved in the crash were traveling in two vehicles, officials said. One was pursuing the motorcycle; the other was off-duty and heading home on the inner loop.

High said police captured the pursuit and ensuing crash with a video camera in a cruiser. Authorities will use the footage to try to identify the motorcycle and its driver, he said. Police also interviewed several witnesses.

Does not say why he/she was being pursued, but it certainly says - repeatedly - that he/she was being pursued.

Unfortunately (in Michigan) unless the registered owner admits it was them or gives up who was driving the motorcycle and will testify to that you got nothing if you only have a plate. No way to identify the driver...

Now that being said no civil infraction ticket is worth someones life so unless the guy was wanted for something serious I wouldn't be pursuing him....

wrestleantares
Unfortunately (in Michigan) unless the registered owner admits it was them or gives up who was driving the motorcycle and will testify to that you got nothing if you only have a plate. No way to identify the driver...

Now that being said no civil infraction ticket is worth someones life so unless the guy was wanted for something serious I wouldn't be pursuing him....

One thing that is notably absent is how long the pursuit was. The cop may have been prepared to back off, but this was a short event.

John in VA

thumbsup.gif

St_Louis_Don

[quote

The accident was set in motion about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's police cruiser chasing the motorcycle on the outer loop near the Ritchie Marlboro Road exit slammed into a vehicle after the motorcycle cut in front of the car, police said.

It is simple fact, that the Police can not initiate a “CHASE”! Before they can CHASE you, you have to run! The “CHASE” is always started by the BAD GUYS. Always, every single time, the Bad Guy has to… not only fail to stop but accelerate away from the LEO for a “CHASE” to happen. If the Bad Guy stops the Police can’t CHASE him. It’s not the Police’s fault if the BAD GUYs run!!!

Rather then blame the Police. If someone dies as a result of you running from the Law. You should be tried for murder. Since it was your fleeing that caused the incident in the first place.

John in VA
[Does not say why he/she was being pursued, but it certainly says - repeatedly - that he/she was being pursued.

The lead says: "A police attempt to stop a speeding motorcycle..."

... not "stop a fleeing felon on a motorcycle..." or "stop a bank robbery suspect..."

We may not have all the facts, but it seems likely that if the motorcyclist was being chased for anything but speeding, a police spokesman would have made a point of saying so. What is clearly stated is that it was not the motorcycle nor a hapless motorist who actually started the crash(es).

John in VA
[Rather then blame the Police. If someone dies as a result of you running from the Law. You should be tried for murder. Since it was your fleeing that caused the incident in the first place.

If the biker had pulled over and accepted his speeding ticket, lives would not have been lost.

If the policeman had taken down the license number or called ahead for a roadblock, lives would not have been lost.

If the policeman were a better driver and had properly controlled his vehicle, lives would not have been lost.

A murder charge is inappropriate under such circumstances. If a policeman accidentally hits a bystander with a bullet intended for a fleeing suspect, is the fleeing suspect liable for murder? No way.

Police make the toughest, split-second judgments imaginable every day, and risks to bystanders always enter into those judgments.

W. Mazelin

The Police may have said a little more than is in the article. The newspaper is there to sell more papers - to do that they sometimes (always? . . .) modify the story. I know of a couple of people who have been interviewed while I was present, and what appeared in the paper was not at all what they said. All I'm saying is question the source - all the info is not contained in this little story. Police pursuits are a hot topic across the land, editors & news managers know that, and they know it sells. Remember too, that law enforecment activity is reactionary by nature; the cops can't do a damn thing until AFTER a crime is initiated. In California, (and probably the other 49 sates of the Union), fleeing from the police can be a felony all by itself.

russell_bynum
[quote

It is simple fact, that the Police can not initiate a “CHASE”! Before they can CHASE you, you have to run! The “CHASE” is always started by the BAD GUYS. Always, every single time, the Bad Guy has to… not only fail to stop but accelerate away from the LEO for a “CHASE” to happen. If the Bad Guy stops the Police can’t CHASE him. It’s not the Police’s fault if the BAD GUYs run!!!

Rather then blame the Police. If someone dies as a result of you running from the Law. You should be tried for murder. Since it was your fleeing that caused the incident in the first place.

+1

It really pisses me off that in this namby pamby nothing is my fault society we actually have the stones to blame cops for stuff like this.

St_Louis_Don
If a policeman accidentally hits a bystander with a bullet intended for a fleeing suspect, is the fleeing suspect liable for murder? No way.

Well, I would vote Yes, or at least he should be. If the Bad Guys actions are such that the Police are required to use Deadly Force, the Bad Guy should be held responsible for all consequences arising from his actions.

I know this is not our system. But it is my personal view that our system of laws has (over time) been warped to favor the criminal to a point of being un-balanced.

I agree with you. Change any one of the many factors that led to the horrific crash and it probably would not have happened. But I maintain, had said Motorcyclist stopped in the first place. I can positively guarantee that the crash would not have taken place.

If the Police were “CHASING” a murderer, and two others died in the aftermath. Would the “CHASE” then be worth it to the families who lost loved ones?

Maybe the Police should only be allowed to chase OJ, since that was a rather safe pursuit.

John in VA
The Police may have said a little more than is in the article. The newspaper is there to sell more papers - to do that they sometimes (always? . . .) modify the story...

Then here's another lying news report intended to sell more radio time:

http://wtop.com/?sid=1154314&nid=25

"It started at about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's County police officer spotted a speeding motorcycle and positioned himself to stop it on the Inner Loop, police said. The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's. That car rolled down an embankment onto the Outer Loop, where five other cars crashed into each other.

Two people in the car that went over the embankment died. Prince George's County Police have identified them as Kevin McCarter, 40, of Ft. Washington, Md. and Sidney Clanton Jr., age unknown, of Buffalo, N.Y.

Two of the injured were police officers. One was flown to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. The other was also hospitalized, but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Police were looking for the motorcycle and rider believed to be responsible."

John in VA
The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's. That car rolled down an embankment onto the Outer Loop, where five other cars crashed into each other.

I can see how a motorcycle swerving in front of a civilian's car could "cause" the civilian's car to swerve and hit the police car, but I don't understand the physics involved where a motorcycle swerving in front of a civilian's car could "cause" the officer's car to hit the civilian's car -- unless the cop and bike were tethered somehow? I am not bashing the officer for chasing the speeder (who should get the book thrown at him for reckless endangerment and eluding), only for the officer's apparent lack of driving skill and judgment in such a situation.

Was this chase worth the cost?

No it wasn't..Your question really frustrates me. Is the loss of innocent life ever worth the gain obtained by any criminal? confused.gif That's why people who run from the police in a motor vehicle should serve a mandatory prison sentence. That would save lives. I don't understand why we continue to tolerate this crap. Your reference to finding fault with the officers who risk their lives and others to chase fleeing felony suspects causes me to become very angry..I'll stop before I say something that might offend someone..

To answer your original question: obviously, no.

I don't have all the facts in this case, but the simple truth is that far too often LEOs get caught up in the chase. The television is full of footage of officers displaying poor judgement. If I was recorded driving like some of these LEOs, the last thing I want is for the footage to be broadcast. It is a tough job, but one that requires a continuous risk/benefit assessment be made for every chase: beginning, middle, end.

I am a firefighter and training officer and often drive our various apparatus to the calls. When I am behind the wheel of that engine, tanker, or brush truck, foremost in my mind is getting to the incidently safely...how quickly I get there is secondary, and this would include responding to a incident such as described in the story.

W. Mazelin
[Rather then blame the Police. If someone dies as a result of you running from the Law. You should be tried for murder. Since it was your fleeing that caused the incident in the first place.

If the biker had pulled over and accepted his speeding ticket, lives would not have been lost.

If the policeman had taken down the license number or called ahead for a roadblock, lives would not have been lost.

If the policeman were a better driver and had properly controlled his vehicle, lives would not have been lost.

A murder charge is inappropriate under such circumstances. If a policeman accidentally hits a bystander with a bullet intended for a fleeing suspect, is the fleeing suspect liable for murder? No way.

Police make the toughest, split-second judgments imaginable every day, and risks to bystanders always enter into those judgments.

Here is a liitle tale of liability:

A guy I went to high school with is now on Death Row here in California (exactly where he deserves to be). He and a couple of his pals got the bright idea to rob (armed with pistols) a check cashing business in Santa Ana. They parked across the street in a vey conspicuous location to case the joint and wait for the owner to arrive and open the store. It just so happens that a couple of Detectives from Santa Ana PD were in the same area conducting an unrelated investigation. The detectives wrote down the lic. plate number & desription of the car, making note of where it was and a couple of the stores that were in the area; when their business was concluded they left to continue the investigation elsewhere. The store owner shows up and starts the days business. My classmate & his pals spring into action, they rob the store, guns in hand. Now the store owner doen't take to kindly to this naked aggression, so he pulls his pistol and the gunfight erupts . . . the store owner shoots & kills one of the robbers, one of the robbers shoots & kills the store owner, the 2 remaining bad guys flee. The detectives that were in the parking lot earlier hear about what happened and relay the car information they noted to the detectives in charge of this robbery/homicide investigation. A short time later, my classmate and and his one remainig pal were picked up. They were charged with 2 counts of murder, one for the store owner, one for the dead crook. I don't know when his appeals will run out, but this was back in the late 80s, so his time should be getting close. He was held responsible for the death of his fellow robber and the store owner.

No it wasn't..Your question really frustrates me. Is the loss of innocent life ever worth the gain obtained by any criminal? confused.gif That's why people who run from the police in a motor vehicle should serve a mandatory prison sentence. That would save lives. I don't understand why we continue to tolerate this crap. Your reference to finding fault with the officers who risk their lives and others to chase fleeing felony suspects causes me to become very angry..I'll stop before I say something that might offend someone..

You make an excellent point: Running from the police is tolerated, as is multiple DUI arrests. As long as this remains status quo, we'll continue to have runners and drunks on our roads.

W. Mazelin
The Police may have said a little more than is in the article. The newspaper is there to sell more papers - to do that they sometimes (always? . . .) modify the story...

Then here's another lying news report intended to sell more radio time:

http://wtop.com/?sid=1154314&nid=25

"It started at about 7 p.m. when a Prince George's County police officer spotted a speeding motorcycle and positioned himself to stop it on the Inner Loop, police said. The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's. That car rolled down an embankment onto the Outer Loop, where five other cars crashed into each other.

Two people in the car that went over the embankment died. Prince George's County Police have identified them as Kevin McCarter, 40, of Ft. Washington, Md. and Sidney Clanton Jr., age unknown, of Buffalo, N.Y.

Two of the injured were police officers. One was flown to a hospital with life-threatening injuries. The other was also hospitalized, but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Police were looking for the motorcycle and rider believed to be responsible."

Well then maybe the newsman should investigate this as he has all the facts and the cops don't know how to drive, use a radio, set up a roadblock, etc., etc. Don't forget, I simply said to question the source. If you want to believe every word you read & hear, that's your business.

Lineareagle

I really do not understand why the receipt of a vehicle license is not considered a social contract between the individual and the state, ergo, you understand the rules of the road, you understand the responsibility, you understand the consequences of operating outside the rules, you have been deemed competent to operate by professionals.

If the answers to these is affirmative then absolutely you break the contract you WILL SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES, PERIOD.

Similarly it should be mandatory that each child be taught the social contract that exists between a citizen and the country, there are rules, you break the rules, you suffer the consequences.

As long as everyone knows the behavior expected and the consequences of non-compliance it should be pretty straight forward.

I know I am a helpless romantic, believing we all want and deserve a carefree, evil free life, sigh . . .

frown.gif

I think there is a distinction that may be getting missed here...

Many agencies have changed their policy and procedure regrading pursuits due to civil court rulings that held the Agency/Municipality liable for damages/injuries/etc... to third parties caused by the suspect/bad guy running into them while fleeing from the Police.

Agencies/Officers/Municipalities were always liable for the damages/injuries/etc... caused by themselves while driving, etc...

When the courts started holding agencies civilly liable for the collisions caused by the suspect (directly...bad guy runs into someone) policies started to change.

Now you have agencies who have zero pursuit policies (minority) and others with amended pursuit policies (majority). We do not pursue fleeing vehicles where the cause for the stop was a civil infraction (ticket) not can you use the fact that the suspect is fleeing (felony) to justify the pursuit if the reason for the stop was a civil infraction (where I work...MSP will chase you till the wheels fall of thumbsup.gif).

The policy provides direction for decision making in other cases, weigh seriousness of offense to risk factors (dynamic decision making).

That being said I agree that anything the suspect does the Police shouldn't be liable for (running into someone) but the fact is we are being held liable for it. Regardless, if an Officer loses control of the vehicle they are operating or is involved in a collision they are always and have always been responsible for that (as long as I am aware anyways).

motorman587

I have two thoughts over this. One part of me says, chase them until the wheels fall off for anything (rookie).

But my other part tells me that chases are stupid and people get hurt and killed over chases. I would not know, what I would do if my child ever got hurt over a police chase. In fact my department policy and my children have made me realize that chases are not worth it.

Your reference to finding fault with the officers who risk their lives and others to chase fleeing felony suspects causes me to become very angry..

Not makin' fun of the subject or your views on it, but when I read the above sentence, the first thing that popped into my head was Marvin the Martian.

"Finding fault with officers makes me very angry! *pant pant pant* Very angry indeed!"

Sorry, bud. redface.gif

Most if not all LEO agencies in California are required to have pursuit policies. Things to take into consideration are traffic conditions, time of day, weather, vehicle equipment, vehicle condition, speeds, knowledge of the violators identity, familairity with area and nature of the crime or violation. If you don't put all this out over the air immediately, don't bother starting the chase. Failure to comply with this policy will hang you out for discipline as well as civil litigation. The agency I worked for did not pursue unless it was an armed felon. If it was a stolen vehicle, fogettaboudit.

Where is that air unit when you need it?

GoGo Gadget
When the courts started holding agencies civilly liable for the collisions caused by the suspect (directly...bad guy runs into someone) policies started to change.

All that may well be changing with the SCOTUS ruling on Scott v. Harris.

GoGo Gadget
The motorcycle rider swerved in front of a civilian car and sped away, causing the officer's car to hit the civilian's. That car rolled down an embankment onto the Outer Loop, where five other cars crashed into each other.

I can see how a motorcycle swerving in front of a civilian's car could "cause" the civilian's car to swerve and hit the police car, but I don't understand the physics involved where a motorcycle swerving in front of a civilian's car could "cause" the officer's car to hit the civilian's car -- unless the cop and bike were tethered somehow? I am not bashing the officer for chasing the speeder (who should get the book thrown at him for reckless endangerment and eluding), only for the officer's apparent lack of driving skill and judgment in such a situation.

One report stated that the bike swerved in front of the car, who then braked, causing the cruiser behind it to strike it in the rear sending it across the median. That is called a Delta V in physic. A speed differential, it will cause the faster object to strike the slower object when the faster object is behind it and travelling in line with the slower object.

Does that explain the physics of it? grin.gif

russell_bynum

No it wasn't..Your question really frustrates me. Is the loss of innocent life ever worth the gain obtained by any criminal? confused.gif That's why people who run from the police in a motor vehicle should serve a mandatory prison sentence. That would save lives. I don't understand why we continue to tolerate this crap. Your reference to finding fault with the officers who risk their lives and others to chase fleeing felony suspects causes me to become very angry.

I agree. I know our laws/pursuit policies/etc don't agree with me, but as far as I'm concerned, once the red and blues come on and you knowingly initiate a pursuit (by running), ANYTHING that happens should be your responsibility.

I don't care if the police lose control and careen through a preschool playground at recess, it should still be the runner's fault and they should be held responsible for whatever happens.

...but as far as I'm concerned, once the red and blues come on and you knowingly initiate a pursuit (by running), ANYTHING that happens should be your responsibility.

I don't care if the police lose control and careen through a preschool playground at recess, it should still be the runner's fault and they should be held responsible for whatever happens.

Using your playground scenario, the runner should bear some responsibility, but an officer, driving recklessly, has to be responsible for his/her actions.

How would you feel if it was your child who was run over on the playground? Who would you hold responsible?

I seriously doubt you'd say to the LEO, "It's OK, you were only doing everything you you could to stop a guy who had expired plates and decided to run from you."

W. Mazelin

Mayor: I don't want any more trouble like you had last year in the Fillmore District. Understand? That's my policy.

Callahan: Yeah, well, when an adult-male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard, that's my policy.

Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?

Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross.

Mayor: (after Callahan has left) I think he's got a point.

russell_bynum

Who would you hold responsible?

The person who created the situation is responsible: The runner.

Agree, but we live in a world where our government, legal justice system and politics tells us that people are not responsible for their actions. So the courts are holding police officers and their agencies responsible for the consequences of a pursuit.

russell_bynum

Agree, but we live in a world where our government, legal justice system and politics tells us that people are not responsible for their actions. So the courts are holding police officers and their agencies responsible for the consequences of a pursuit.

I understand. I know that my beliefs do not mirror those of the society I live in.

John in VA

Some more info:

"Law enforcement sources tell WTOP the officers involved in the accident had been alerted to a felony in progress, and were given a lookout for the cycle.

Officers are looking for the motorcycle and rider believed to be responsible.

Police say they were chasing a black, high-speed, nimble racing motorcycle. One source calls the vehicle a "crotch rocket."

State Delegate Bill Bronrott of Montgomery County says it may be time to get those bikes off the roads.

"They are potential death machines in the wrong hands," says Bronrott. "And I think we should look at the possibility of saying these should be used on race courses rather than public highways."

He says Maryland State Police are contacting jurisdictions around the country to see how they handle the so-called bullet bikes.

----------

Leave it to a pathetic politician to blame the motorcycle itself. What the hll does the type of motorcycle have to do with it? A Cadillac Escalade is a "death machine" in the wrong hands, so let's ban those!! eek.gif

How bout this novel idea. Let's lock people up that run from the cops and keep them in jail for some meaningful period of time and this problem will decrease significantly. dopeslap.gif

Paul Mihalka
State Delegate Bill Bronrott of Montgomery County says it may be time to get those bikes off the roads.

"They are potential death machines in the wrong hands," says Bronrott.

The key word is "in the wrong hands". Here we go again. Penalize many for the sins of a few. I'm positive that there are many-many solid (almost) sensible people riding high performance sport bikes in a decent fashion for each crazy squid. No driver's license for the rest of their lives would cut the numbers. No driver's license ever would seriously cut their job opportunities and make their life miserable when they finally grow up. After all, a driver's license is a privilege, not a right. They loose the privilege.

"They are potential death machines in the wrong hands," says Bronrott.

From the reports it sounds more like Crown Vic's are the potential death machines, not motorcycles. dopeslap.gif

lurker.gif

Can't agree with you more lawman...but lets expand that to lets lock up anyone who breaks the law for what the statute says (a reasonable amount of time)....i.e. you get 20-40 for armed robbery, etc...

Why not just make any unlawful flight a capital offense?

Authorize the agency with jurisdiction to use deadly force.

Glock 1 crotchrocket scofflaw 0

End of story.

Pleaase don't create hypothetical justifications for fleeing.

Lights on, you STOP.

Then reasonable explanations and solutions, if needed, can be applied. Need an escort for emergency medical situation?

I've BTDT. We were stopped. Motorcycle LEO immediately and correctly assessed situation, got on radio, and led/escorted us to ER. May have saved my life.

The fear of judicial hindsight has hamstrung many agencies.

Make a clear, immediate, explicit, public example out of someone who does this, whether in an Escalade or on a bike.

The more Draconian and public the better.

Criminals fleeing the scene of a crime already have made up their mind to flee. They don't deserve a break. Authorize the use of deadly force. Would have a dramatic effect on the recdivism rate.

When we are afraid to stop criminal behavior because a court may blame our authorized law enfrocement agencies, and their representatives, for consequences related to the enforcement of our laws, we need new laws, or new courts.

John in VA

End of story.

Summary execution for a biker fleeing a civil traffic citation? Police bullets flying around to take out a "crotchrocket scofflaw"? A few dead civilians are the price we pay for keeping crotchrockets in check? Not in my neighborhood, thanks. Fortunately, Arlington County VA police have a no-high-speed-pursuit policy. It's just not worth the danger to civilians, and in such an urban area it's more sensible (and more effective) just to box in a fleeing suspect through communications and roadblocks.

it's more sensible (and more effective) just to box in a fleeing suspect through communications and roadblocks.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Tell me about your personal experience doing this.. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

John in VA
Tell me about your personal experience doing this.. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Glad you think this is a hilarious subject. eek.gif The dead civilians in the local news story about the high-speed pursuit aren't laughing and never will again.

Nope, I have no personal experience doing this because I'm not an officer. Maybe you do, but obviously my local police think this is the best course of action in an urban environment, since they will not do high-speed pursuit, and I agree with their judgment. East Texas may be a different story where flying police bullets and crashing cruisers might only hit sagebrush or a stray longhorn?

East Texas may be a different story where flying police bullets and crashing cruisers might only hit sagebrush or a stray longhorn?

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner for the funniest quote I have read in a long time! lmao.gif

"Glad you think this is a hilarious subject. The dead civilians in the local news story about the high-speed pursuit aren't laughing and never will again."

Nope and leniency guarantees a lack of respect for laws, law enforcement, and innocent life which in turn will result in more and more unfortunate stories like this and others..We get what we deserve...

So the way to ensure this type of stuff doesn't happen again is to allow police to shoot first and verify later that the person they are shooting at is indeed the guilty party....that would have really sucked for a buddy of mine who was the recipient of a felony stop because his bike matched the description of a bank robbery suspect the police were looking for....but after all he may have been preparing to flee so it would have been prudent to shoot him to avoid a chase.....

I would rather a few bad guys get away from time to time...I know that isn't ideal but the death of others is too high a price to pay. On the other hand once they catch em I am all for a prompt trial and hanging.....

W. Mazelin

Remember "The Blues Brothers" after the pursuit started, the dispatcher said: "The use of unnecessary force in the apprehension of the Blues brothers has been approved."

If it was only that simple . . .

So the way to ensure this type of stuff doesn't happen again is to allow police to shoot first and verify later that the person they are shooting at is indeed the guilty party....that would have really sucked for a buddy of mine who was the recipient of a felony stop because his bike matched the description of a bank robbery suspect the police were looking for....but after all he may have been preparing to flee so it would have been prudent to shoot him to avoid a chase.....

I would rather a few bad guys get away from time to time...I know that isn't ideal but the death of others is too high a price to pay. On the other hand once they catch em I am all for a prompt trial and hanging.....

I'm confused confused.gif Can you please quote what I said that you are responding to... confused.gifconfused.gif

it's more sensible (and more effective) just to box in a fleeing suspect through communications and roadblocks.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

It's clear to me. Your dismissal of anything short of pursuit (and making fun of someone for suggesting a different approach) makes it pretty obvious....

Archived