IGNORED

speed bleeders

AndyS

Hi all.

Just about to change all the brake fluids and was wondering about using speed bleeders.

1/. Are they worth it?

2/. Do you fit them to the calipers and the Servo unit?

3/. What sizes are they and does anyone have the part numbers?

I thank you.

Andy

I had them on a previous R1100RT that I owned and just purchased a new set to install on my 2000 R1100RT. I like them alot. Here is the link. http://www.speedbleeder.com/. Simple to install. I would get the bag with the bleeders, it makes it easier to use and dispose of the brake fluid and keeps you from spilling brake fluid on your wheels.

I've come full circle on them. At first I thought they were a great idea, but after more than a couple instances on different bikes with having challenges with getting them to seal down, and still leaking air in anyway, I've decided they're more trouble than they are worth. If you use a sealed air-tight catch bag (which they also sell and is very good) on a conventional bleeder, and just leave it open through the complete process except for the last 'pump' it works just as well, without the cost or hassle of the SB. The air-tight hose and bag prevent any significant back flow into the caliper with each bleeding pump/stroke.

Speed Bleeder part numbers for 1150RT are listed in the following threads. Note that there are some different opinions about whether to get long or short versions, for certain locations. A full set plus bag and extra sealant costs $90.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...amp;Main=699831

BillAllen:

Front Brakes (2)-SB8125L

Rear Brake (1)-SB6100

Clutch (1) SB1010S

ABS Unit (4)-SB7100S and (2)-SB7100

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1&Number=541278

kingpinofdisks:

2 x SB7100 (7mmx1.00 Extra Long)

4 x SB7100S (7mmx1.00 Shorty)

2 x SB8125 (8mmx1.25)

1 x SB6100 (6mmx1.00)

For just the brakes. And the clutch would be:

1 x SB1010S (10mmx1.00)

KMG_365:

For the 2002-2004 R1150RT I would use:

6 x SB7100 (7mmx1.00-Long) for the control circuits. You don't need different sizes, but the longer ones just make it easier to get the hose and wrench on them and there is no clearance issue that I found.

2 x SB8125 (8mmx1.25) for the front two calipers.

1 x SB6100 (6mmx1.00) for the rear caliper.

1 x SB1010S (10mmx1.00) for the clutch. You'll need to bevel (file, or drag on the concrete! ) the tip down a bit to make it easier to start the screw into the filler adapter.

Anyway, Speedbleeders mainly just offer convenience to avoid the need for a helper when your arms aren't long enough to reach both the bleed nut and the brake pedal or lever, which is obviously the case for a cage.

Hi all.

Just about to change all the brake fluids and was wondering about using speed bleeders.

1/. Are they worth it?

2/. Do you fit them to the calipers and the Servo unit?

3/. What sizes are they and does anyone have the part numbers?

I thank you.

Andy

Andy, can’t see any reason your would really need them.. Just put a little thread sealer (or use small "O" rings on the bleed screw)on the stock bleeder screw threads then use a long hose on the bleeder screws with the catch container on the floor.. Once you seal the stock bleeder screw threads air can’t get in there & using a long bleed hose air can’t travel back up the hose fast enough to get back into the system.. Been doing it that way for years & it is basically painless & easy,.. Also using the long bleed hose keeps the brake fluid exit a long ways from your bike’s paint (Dot 3_4 brake fluid is a fantastic paint remover)..

Twisty

David Sharpe

I agree with Ken. I installed the speed bleeders and I couldn't get them to stop leaking. I took them out and kept the catch bag. Now I pretend as if the original bleeders are speed bleeders and 3 bleeds later no problems.

Archived