IGNORED

Long Way Round

zbassman

This past weekend I was watching the DVD "Long Way Round", for those who haven't seen it the DVD features Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman going around the world on two BMWs. I was at the end of the DVD, where they've reached NY state. They have been on the bikes for 115 days, travelled 19,000+/- miles. They have an evening off before they roll in to NYC to end the trek. So, what do you do with your freee time when you've just ridden 19,000 miles in 115 days? These guys jumped on their bikes rode to OCC and went on a ride with the OCC guys.

I love it!

Of course it made me start looking at the map considering a little adventure of my own. A route from Austin up through the midwest to Minnesota, to Thunder Bay around to Sault Ste Marie, to Ottawa, down the east coast, then along the gulf coast to Texas and home.

Wonder how long that'd take...and how do I get my wife to sign off on this...

They have just started a new trip "the long way down" from scotland to cape town, should make for an interesting DVD

Firefight911
Wonder how long that'd take...and how do I get my wife to sign off on this...

As long as you want it to as long as you do it with a stop in Fayetteville, WV for the UNrally .

As for your wife, she requires no "sign-off." Take her with you!!! thumbsup.gif

Take the ferry from Tomberoy (sp) to S. Beymouth on your travel down from Sault Ste. Marie. 2 hours.

Don't forget Mackinac City.

I may check out this DVD. I read the book and was a bit disappointed though. I was distracted by all the foul language, especially the "F" word which was used frequently, added nothing, and is a word I find particularly offensive.

Jay

I may check out this DVD. I read the book and was a bit disappointed though. I was distracted by all the foul language, especially the "F" word which was used frequently, added nothing, and is a word I find particularly offensive.

Jay

The two disk version sold in the U.S. has the "offensive" words bleeped out, so there's a lot of bleeps. The three disk version sold in Canada (and to Americans who choose to buy it online) has nothing bleeped out. I personally couldn't stand listening to constant bleeps, but the "uncensored" version is the only one for sale in Canada, and that's the one I have. I enjoyed watching it, but then again their language didn't bother me, as it fit the context. I couldn't imagine two Brits riding around the world, and using choir boy language. I think Brits, and we here in Canada, are somewhat less sensitive to that sort of thing.

Given the frequency of the cursing, I suspect you'd find the constant bleeping in the US version to be annoying/distracting.

GoGo Gadget

Of course it made me start looking at the map considering a little adventure of my own.

When I saw it on TV 2 years ago it gave me the itch to do something epic. Of course not being a movie star, wealthy or so broke it does not matter where I am broke at, I could not do anything on a global scale. I started planning a circumnavigation of the CONUS. I have a ton of leave built up, but was limited on a window of opportunity in which to use it. The best I could do was 4 weeks. I finally realized that hitting all the border states would be cool on paper, but in reality would have me missing a ton of nice stuff in the interior states and blazing down many interstates just to get to a certain state so my "goal" would be accomplished.

So I changed my route, gonna see a ton of cool stuff, ride a ton of beautiful roads, but it will not have that epic ring to it.

There is a mountain that carries my name in the upper NE corner of BC, Canada. I also plan to rent a dual sport in Vancouver and ride up it. After all, if a mountain has your name on it, you gotta go see it, right? grin.gif

AdventurePoser

I bought the DVD here in So Cal and nothing was bleeped out. It was a shame that I felt I could not watch it with my daughter because of the liberal use of the "Eff word." blush.gif

Other than that, I really enjoyed the DVD and the Book, though Ewan seemed a bit melancholy(and whiney) for my tastes.

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Given the frequency of the cursing, I suspect you'd find the constant bleeping in the US version to be annoying/distracting.

I didn't know the DVD was like that. Knowing this, I'll probably just skip both versions. My mind won't be able to not fill in the bleeps. I'm not a prude, but somehow such language just makes it not worth watching for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Jay

Archived