IGNORED

My Torrey Odyssey

Joe Frickin' Friday

Should Joe Keep Writing?  

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Clean the RT, the bike earned it. wave.gif

lmao.gif Quite right, sir. thumbsup.gif

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. I'm glad you've all enjoyed it. Just like the real trip, now that the writing's over, I have mixed emotions: relief and sadness. The last day of writing was about as hard as the last day of riding.

In reference to my "hula" move, Leslie observes:

This sounds like it could also be a way to earn a little extra cash along the way.

Cute, but it's not as salacious as it sounds. my backside and thighs stay planted in the saddle; no hip movement, just a spine-swiveling action, and I wonder if it's even visible through bulky riding gear.

Shawn sez:

I was with you through a good portion of this trip and even while experiencing all these things with you, I never saw or remembered even a fourth of what you did.

like I told Stretch, there's a lot of emotional baggage I brought on this trip:

-As a little kid I went on a zillion summer vacations with my family out west.

-Apart from a 24 hour jaunt from Denver to Gunny on a rented Goldwing last summer with Masako, this was the first time in three years I had ridden out there.

-And as you know, it was our only real opportunity at a farewell for Gleno.

So before I even left home, I was expecting to write a good Ride Tale at the end of it. I found myself paying a lot of attention to things, and even thinking, immediately after various events occurred, how I would write about it. The first week after I got home, I dumped my brain into a Word doc in the form of about a page of notes for each day.

And then I started writing.

I had no idea it would get as big as it did: with each pic as a single line of UBB code, the original word document now stands at 84 pages. eek.gif

Shawn and Rainy, thanks a million for letting me use your pics in my story. Rainy, the write-up for the trip to Bryce and back wouldn't have been nearly as interesting without all of your on-the-go pics and your traffic stop surveillance. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Lisa sez:

I was clicking through a lot of the links you provided, learning little tidbits along the way that I didn't know before. Before I knew it, I'm spending 20 minutes or so looking through Iowa State's website!

I did a fair amount of research, trying to find the correct names for places and landforms and other things I saw, like the stuff in all those rest areas, and Iowa's state motto. Glad you found that stuff interesting. smile.gif

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived