IGNORED

Synthetic preference for transmission and final drive

John in NC

John in NC

2004 RT has 25k on it and I would like to move to synthetic juice for transmission and Final drive. What are the preferences?

Thanks

Darned if I know. But there are members here who can tell the quality of fluids just by looking at them. lmao.gif

Ok...you've just started an oil thread eek.gifeek.gifeek.giflmao.gif

I use Mobil1 75w140 in gearbox and rear diff.

Here we go..... wink.gif

I use the Mobil One 75-90 . Not sure I would use the 75-140. Actually bought the 75-140 and thought better of it and went back to 75-90.

Rob

I use Redline Heavy Shockproof in my tranny, and Redline Lightweight Shockproof in the final drive.

FWIW.

I use Amsoil severe gear lube. Shifts smoother and has never given me any issues on 4 BMW's and around 30 other assorted bikes.

Ok...you've just started an oil thread eek.gifeek.gifeek.giflmao.gif

I use Mobil1 75w140 in gearbox and rear diff.

Here we go..... wink.gif

+1

and I can't wait for the "oil thread goblins" to show up lurker.gif

Willy Nilly

Redline Heavy in Trans. & Final Drive.

I see that some use Redline Heavy in the Trans. but not in the final drive, am I missing something that tells me I should`nt be using it in the final drive ?

Redline Heavy in Trans. & Final Drive.

I see that some use Redline Heavy in the Trans. but not in the final drive, am I missing something that tells me I should`nt be using it in the final drive ?

Willy, as long as you don’t puke the heavy out the final drive vent it shouldn’t hurt anything.. I personally (& lot of others) can’t get that Shock Proof heavy to not puke out the final drive vent at high speeds in cold weather.. It’s so thick when cold it seems to pack up around the vent due to ring gear pumping then get pushed out onto the tire as the final drive heats at speed..

Twisty

John in NC

Thanks for the responses. You never know when someone may know of a new product or when opinions change.

Do any of these fluid changes in the transmission on an 04RT eliminate the clunky box of marbles sound? Seriously.

At my 6k service, I changed from dino oil to the BMW synthetic gear oil in the trans and final drive. At this point there was a noticeable improvement in the trans shifting. At the 12k service, I changed to the Redline Heavy Shockproof in the trans largely due to posts here, kept the final drive as above. The change to the Redline Heavy Shockproof in the trans had a major improvenment in the trans' shifting smoothness, more so than the change from dino at the 6k service. I've been using it since. I suggest giving it a try, but as the saying goes, ymmv.

I use Virgin Olive oil for the first course, and Extra Virgin with Garlic for the second.

<WyreNut re-reads the title of the thread>

Oh wait, that was what I used for dinner tonight! Heh heh, My bad. blush.gif

Mobil 1 75-140 here in the blazing San Joaquin Valley in CA.

WyreNut

I use the Redline heavy in both. My dealer told me it was fine but was still not sure about the final drive from what I have read here so I contacted Redline and this was their reply:Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the ShockProof Heavy can be

used in the final drive or the 75W90, either will perform well.

Regards, Dave

Red Line Oil

Being in Alabama I don't have to worry to much about the cold.

Archived