IGNORED

Rear brake pedal

Wyn

Not real happy with the rear brake pedal on Nubb, 98 R1100RT. Gotta work to get at it. Anyone else?

I see after market pedals but they don't seem to address length. I'm considering a piece of PVC somewhat longer. Painted and padded of course. Perhaps I can find a small $150.00 BMW rondel to put in the end. Huh? I'm I catchin on now or what!! lmao.gif

ISYHTRAH

ShovelStrokeEd

The pedal was designed to be where it is. Reason is mostly so that you would keep your foot off it unless you expressly wished to apply the rear brake. Then a minor pivot at the ankle allows easy access. Making it larger/longer will, indeed, make it a little easier to use but you risk dragging your rear brake, activating your brake light prematurely which of course renders its warning to other folks sharing the road useless. It also promotes excessive use/reliance on the rear brake for stopping (its not very good at that).

I will use my rear brake on a couple of occasions, as an adjunct to the primary brakes (fronts) and, in very tight, low speed cornering conditions to work against my throttle to smooth power input. Other than that, mine is adjusted to be well out of the way of my foot and to not apply until the foot is tilted well down, reducing the available leverage.

Of course, it is your bike and you will do with it what you will.

The pedal was designed to be where it is. Reason is mostly so that you would keep your foot off it unless you expressly wished to apply the rear brake. Then a minor pivot at the ankle allows easy access. Making it larger/longer will, indeed, make it a little easier to use but you risk dragging your rear brake, activating your brake light prematurely which of course renders its warning to other folks sharing the road useless. It also promotes excessive use/reliance on the rear brake for stopping (its not very good at that).

I will use my rear brake on a couple of occasions, as an adjunct to the primary brakes (fronts) and, in very tight, low speed cornering conditions to work against my throttle to smooth power input. Other than that, mine is adjusted to be well out of the way of my foot and to not apply until the foot is tilted well down, reducing the available leverage.

Of course, it is your bike and you will do with it what you will.

Mmmm, good points. Perhaps it should be kept as is!

ISYHTRAH

Yeeha! Stephen

+1 for keeping it short.

I've been behind several guys that "ride" the brake by resting their foot on the pedal and not even know it.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

I've ridden several bikes that provided easier access to the rear brake without any of the noted pitfalls. The rear brake on my 1150RT is definitely odd to me. Perhaps if my brakes weren't fully linked, I wold have become used to it by now. Since they are, I do not rely on the rear as heavily as I have on other bikes.

These are available from Verholen in Germany As well as a WHOLE BUNCH of other cool stuff! Their website is available in english at

MV Motorrad

Also check the A&S BMW Motorcycles web site, they have 2 different styles for the R1150RT although these parts are expensive and the Sierra BMW website has a couple as well

My R11R bike had its foot brake really far down. Just as was suggested above, it was as if the designers said "Lets be sure to put this out of the way so no one will be tempted to use it".

It took an almost unnatural act to use it.

I found I could raise the pedal some by adjustment of the stop screws and lengthening the actuator adjustment. None of this effected the stop light switch nor make me drag the brake. It just puts it a "little bit" closer toward where I feel is comfortable.

A major variable in this issue is the natural angle of your foot. If you are pidgeon toed the brake pedal is fine. If you are slew foot, it is difficult to use the rear brake naturally. I have the extension sold by Cycle Gadgets, and it has greatly improved my ability to use the brake pedal. The natural angle of my foot (outward) keeps me well clear of the new pedal.

Archived