IGNORED

Criuse Control on the R1200CLC - WIll It Fit a RT?

Capt_Ron

I read somewhere that the R1200CLC is equipped with a BMW factory cruise control. Can this be fitted to the R1150RT/RS bikes? The R1200CLC is an oilhead....yes? Handlebar controls look like that would fit. Why won't this control adapt to the RT?

Ron

ShovelStrokeEd

I suppose it could but, there are some very basic differences between the two bikes. The CLC uses a single throttle body and the RT uses two. Yes, they are joined by a junction box and only use a single cable up to the throttle. There would be problems to be resolved in terms of obtaining a reliable, steady source of manifold vacuum, cable routing and wiring for cutoff and the fact that you are left without a control device for it. Not the switch gear but the brain. Probably be easier to adapt an aftermarket cruise like the Audiovox.

I supposed I would be able to use all the same apparatus used on the R1200CLC with only some minor adaptation?

If not, then Audiovox may be the way to go. Those I've spoken to who have installed the Audiovox say they can't maintain enough vacuum to keep the cruise on for more than 20-30 minutes tops with their single vacuum canisters. Would doubling the reservoir capacity alleviate this problem, say by adding a second linked canister somewhere on the bike?

I have heard that Audiovox makes a totally electric model that does not rely on vacuum, but I don't know where to find it. Haven't seen one listed anywhere. That might be a better solution.

Ron

Archived