IGNORED

Loctite inquire

Zot

I'm in the process of rebuilding the rear end on my 2000 R 1100 RT and the BMW cd manual calls for two different loctites when reassembling the assembly, a #2701 for the swing arm pivot bearing journals and a #273 to lock the pinion shaft nut.

They also call for a product called "Hylomar SQ 32 M" to lock the threads on the "Threaded Ring" that retains the outer pinion shaft bearing set.

Since the manual calls for "heat" when removing all of these fasteners, I'm wondering if "loctite red" would suffice for all, or should one try and locate the specific products.

BTW I did ask the parts person at BMW and he had "no clue" as to what Hylomar SQ 32 M was, of what it does.

Kinda looked at me like you look at a dog after it messes on the rug.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I went round and round on this. Found out the dealership wrenches use whatever is in their toolbox and some folks have even advocated no Loctite. Last time I did this I used 271 I found at work. The factory stuff is way over the top (and not avaialable in the US).

They also call for a product called "Hylomar SQ 32 M" to lock the threads on the "Threaded Ring" that retains the outer pinion shaft bearing set.

You may want to consider an "oil tolerant" loctite. I think the 273 may be oil tolerant.

Make sure both surfaces are oil free.

I'm in the process of rebuilding the rear end on my 2000 R 1100 RT and the BMW cd manual calls for two different loctites when reassembling the assembly, a #2701 for the swing arm pivot bearing journals and a #273 to lock the pinion shaft nut.

Since the manual calls for "heat" when removing all of these fasteners, I'm wondering if "loctite red" would suffice for all, or should one try and locate the specific products.

BTW I did ask the parts person at BMW and he had "no clue" as to what Hylomar SQ 32 M was, of what it does.

Kinda looked at me like you look at a dog after it messes on the rug.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Zot, 2701 (Green)-- is a high temp oil resistant sealer type Anaerobic retaining Loc-Tite with a-- 26-50 Nm breakaway torque--33-65 Nm prevailing torque____

The Loc-Tite 272 (Red) is also a fairly high temp oil resistant sealer type Anaerobic retaining Loc-Tite with a-- 23 Nm breakaway torque--25 Nm prevailing torque .. The 272 is the standard Red Loc-Tite available about anywhere..

The 273 (Red) is a closer match for torque retaining but not as high temp or as hot oil resistant.. 15-35 Nm breakaway & 20-50 Nm prevailing..

I would think the good old standby 272 (red) would work just fine in either application.. Just make darn sure the parts are squeaky clean & no oil in the threads..

The "Hylomar SQ 32 M" is a soft type sealer that doesn’t harden or become brittle or solid.. I don’t seem to have anything on my shelf to match it’s properties.. Any of the silicone type gasket sealers would be poor choice due to poor hot oil handling ability & oil additive possible problems.. I would think the Permatex #3 would work if handy or better yet the Permatex Hylomar HPF Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant would be ideal..

Twisty

Thanks All for the advice.

I did use permatex Form a Gasket on the slotted ring since it appears that the sole purpose is as a sealant and not a threadlock.

I used Loctite 273 for the other applications.Since everything is torqued anyway I don't think there will be any issues. thumbsup.gif

Archived