All this sheepskin talk - how about the BeadRiders?

lthj75

I tried one before a big ride out west. For ME it didn't work. instead of one or two pressure points, I had lots of pressure points. It ended up being worse then without the seat. YMMV.. I know other people who swear by them...

Don_Eilenberger
I tried one before a big ride out west. For ME it didn't work. instead of one or two pressure points, I had lots of pressure points. It ended up being worse then without the seat. YMMV.. I know other people who swear by them...
Ditto +1.. it made a thousand points of pain instead of two big ones.

FreedomAir cushion is what works for me. Costs more than beads - but it actually works.

markgoodrich

I use an Aqua-Aire cushion on top of the seat, for now. I have a very painful condition from a fall. I can do 750 miles in a day with the Aqua Aire. It's weird looking but I don't have eyes on my butt. It falls off every time I stop though...I'm a very slow learner. Always, every time, falls into a grease spot at the gas pump.

I'm working on a top secret Space Age custom seat modification that if successful will relieve all pain for all riders, all the time, in all conditions. More to come if it works out in the next few weeks. And it will retain the stock seat cover and look.

Meanwhile, if you're in pain, try the Aqua-Aire.

Totally helped. Always have been a contrarian! For $35, may not have been a custom saddle, but it made all the difference to my boney butt. As Steves1150 always told me, "10,000,000 Pakistani cab drivers can't be wrong!" thumbsup.gif

Dave_in_TX
Ditto +1.. it made a thousand points of pain instead of two big ones.

+2 on that.

I like my Beadrider. It helps to avoid the malady I'll gingerly refer to as "swamp crotch". You know, you've been riding for awhile on a hot day. You sweat. The underwear gets damp and sticky. Then instead of being able to slide back a forth on the seat, everything sticks, and some very delicate tissues get stretched. Ouch! The Beadrider allows air circulation under you and helps to avoid this very uncomfortable situation.

Best Wishes, Mark Shuell.

Have one and love the thing. I did a 4k trip to Nova Scotia with it last August and in the heat and rain it made a big difference and when it gets cooler you find out how much air really is flowing down there. Doesn't do much though for the looks of the bike.

On cool days I use an Airhawk. If temps are going to exceed 80F then the hawk is too hot or if lots of rain is predicted then I use the beads. To me the hawk is more comfy overall. Remember that if you are inseam challenged then the beads will cost you 1/2 inch of inseam; alternatively it nets you 1/2 inch of extra leg room while moving.

Jim VonBaden

Way uncomfortable for me! bncry.gif

On the other hand, a $20 rubber honeycomb seat pad for a car works awesomely! (is that a word?)

01-WV-lunch-stop.jpg

01-two-airheads.jpg

It is hard to find a decent aftermarket seat for an 80 R65.

Jim cool.gif

markgoodrich
Way uncomfortable for me! bncry.gif

On the other hand, a $20 rubber honeycomb seat pad for a car works awesomely! (is that a word?)

01-WV-lunch-stop.jpg

01-two-airheads.jpg

It is hard to find a decent aftermarket seat for an 80 R65.

Jim cool.gif

"Awesomely" is a word if you are a 15 year old girl.

That cushion is no longer available at retail, unless something has changed. It was all the rage last year with the Goldwing crowd. Walmart dropped them from inventory. I talked the importer into putting them on their retail web outlet, here: http://storesense2.megawebservers.com/HS4287/Detail.bok?no=33

I bought four of them, to use in prototyping a seat that my busted tailbone could tolerate, on the FJR, and still have a couple. If you're in the Austin area, you're welcome to try one of mine.

They're advertised as "gel" but are actually just rubber. You can easily cut them with scissors, to fit your bike's seat (or your own seat), and then if you decide it's the perfect thing, it's a simple matter to cut some seat foam out and insert the honeycomb, as shown in the clickable photo below. If you flip the cushion over, you get a smoother look under the seat cover, and I never could tell any difference in comfort.

I personally found the cushion comfortable, but unsuited to providing adequate cushioning for a busted tailbone and assorted soft tissues surrounding it, and went with the Aqua-Aire, which still slides off every time I dismount, always into a puddle of oil or a greasy spot. I have managed a 750 mile day with the Aqua-Aire, but it's not ideal, either...I want something permanent. As mentioned in another post, am working on a top secret prototype product that, if it works, may make practically any OEM seat useful for all day comfort. Meanwhile, there's the beads, the sheep, the waffle cushion, the Aqua-Aire, the Air cushion things, and much more.

th_IMG_0525.jpg

Archived