IGNORED

Fire extinguisher

waylap

I'd like to have a compact fire extinguisher in the top case or mounted somehow on the exterior of an RT where it could be tucked away and not look geekish. Does anyone else ride with one? Where do you mount yours and what brand / size is it? Photos are always cool if you have one to post. Thanks .

Go to a trailer store that sells to commercial drivers. The unit that comes from a DOT safety box would fit in a top or side box real nice. That said, fire is why you have insurance. If you look at the size of a DOT extinguisher, and consider the explosive force of 1/2 tank of gas, you'd be miles ahead to throw the extingusher at your bike as you run like Hell. You can't ride a bike while you're in a burn ward. JMO- but I've seen a couple of welding fires in my day, and a small extinguisher will not cut it.

I was mainly thinking of when I'm camping and have a tent and campfire going but also for the bike if somthing happened. I see your point though.

If you're camping then a DOT extinguisher would do just fine. If the choice is get the extingusher or run like hell because of a gas fire- let the FD do what they do best. When in doubt, reach for a cell phone

BMW actually has a fire extinguisher mount for the RTP that may work with the RT. However I've only seen the fiche drawing and have no idea what it looks like in real life.

Nice concept, but take the advice and run, run and keep running...

Not to say IF you had a itty bitty little fire - say like on your seat because you left your seat heater on high eek.gifthen you might be able to put it out, but if your bike is on FIRE, get away and be glad you made your insurance payment - you do have insurance, right?

Honestly, the small extingushers just won't cut it.

A little extinguisher is like the little engine that could. I've seen where a little extinguisher prevented some big things.

On this point, I never gas up while sitting in the saddle (like one of my buddies does). If anything goes wrong, I want to be in a position to sprint, not broil!

Amerex makes a nice looking chrome plated 2.5 lb ABC dry chem. Personally I think anything less than 5lb is worthless, most of the time. Which is why I have a 5lb in my car and three in my house. But for a bike I'll use a 2.5. I know some Corvette guys who bought them. They were about $45. A red painted one is around $20 or so.

amerex are real fire extinguishers. not some fake disposable plastic handled junk that you get at home depot.

Archived