IGNORED

Oilhead to Hexhead upgrade?

Paul_G

Been riding an 01 R1100R for the last year and a half.

Have 40k on it, put 35 of the 40 on it myself. I really like the machine. It's everything I want or need. I use this machine to commute between Tampa and Ft Lauderdale on the weekends, so really can't do with downtime for a powertrain problem. This machine is prone to two.

Splines and the trans coming apart after the Chocolate trans fluid change of death(which I have had 14k ago)

Here is my question. Are the R1200's with the 6 speed

more reliable than the R11xx's with the M97 5 speeds?

Really considering an R1200ST.

Thanks for the input.

Are the R1200's with the 6 speed

more reliable than the R11xx's with the M97 5 speeds?

The answer to this is that we just don't know for sure yet. I would say that normally newer models should be more reliable than older models since there has been time to rectify chronic problems and/or design errors... but BMW's track record is not so good here.

I would hope that the hexhead drivetrain turns out to be more reliable than the oilheads, but I don't think that there's much if any data that would support actually switching models for the express purpose of gaining greater long-term reliability. But one can always dream...

I have 59K on my 05 R1200ST and with the exception of a rear end seal that had to be replaced, its just fine. No problems to speak of. Getting ready to slap a set of tires on the machine and head to the Canadian Rockies. I've owned my share of BMW's and this bike is by far the best bike ever. thumbsup.gif

Don_Eilenberger

I had the same consideration - not that my R1150RS was unreliable - but reading oilhead forums gave me lots to look forward to. So - I read the hexhead forum. And found - no real failure reports or questions. Since some of the hexheads have been on the road for well over 2 years and lots of miles - if there were "weak points" in the hexheads they weren't showing up very quickly. Hexhead forums are about riding the bikes and adding Farkles to them. Not about fixing them.

I can say the R1200R is so far the best sorted out bike I've ever seen from BMW. It has run perfectly every day every time since the day I got it, and it makes me smile whenever I get on it. If you like an R1100R - you'd LOVE the R1200R - it has the classic roadster feel with lots more power, less vibration (a LOT less) and better handling and ergos. I don't think you'd be sorry..

Take a test ride - bet you buy it.

Last year I bought my first BMW, a used 05 R1200RT with 1200 miles, it now has 28,000 troublefree miles. I liked it so much that last month I added an 05 R1200ST to the garage. It too is a great bike, I grew up up Japanese bikes but have also owned an Aprilia and a HD Roadking. The BMW R1200's are 2 of the finest built bikes I have ever owned, and thats with having owned over 25 bikes.

I really hope that these prove to be good longterm bikes.

As I recall, most reports concerning the original oilheads were glowing, and (quite deservedly) the hexheads are getting the same treatment. Such is almost always the case, but when comparing early oilheads and hexheads you are comparing a fleet of vehicles where most are well above 50k and a fleet of vehicles where most are well below. The results of a 'reliability' analysis should be obvious.

The hexheads are great bikes, and if you are attracted to a particular model then by all means go for it. But to make the switch primarily in the interest of greater reliability (meaning other than the short-term reliability boost that normally comes with a newer vehicle), well, there would still be a lot of speculation involved in that decision.

Not that I don't hope that the speculation is accurate. I may well own a hexhead before too long so my interest in this topic is no less than anyone else's. But it will take more than a series of 'my bike's running fine' posts to convince me... I've seen plenty of those before...

Don_Eilenberger
But it will take more than a series of 'my bike's running fine' posts to convince me... I've seen plenty of those before...
Actually - what I think we see a lot more of is "My bike has a problem.." not too many people just randomly throw up a message telling others how well their bike is running. I agree we don't have the numbers on the Hexheads to really say if there will be reliability problems - but usually (well.. often or sometimes..) BMW does address problem areas when they design a new vehicle. They certainly did with doing away with vibration and surge on the hexheads. I haven't seen a single complaint on either topic for a hexhead - and I'm old enough to remember the surge threads started about when the oilheads were first introduced.

I will post one: mine is running just great! Lovin' it.

My 2006 RT is running great as well. I just returned from Torrey UT on Friday. The bike is 13 months old, and I now have 33,000 kms (20,500 miles) on it. It runs like a charm, and uses very little oil. In my ride to/from Torrey, I put 9,000 kms (5,600 miles) on it, and the oil is just below the top of the sight glass window.

Thank you all for your input.

Seth, I understand exactly what you are saying.

The Rll00R is a great machine, but I just feel that

I am commuting on something which will need a 250 mile tow

before long. (I know, rent a U-haul)along with a significant repair bill. I personally just don't have time to the work myself right now. Just gives me indigestion. What I'd really like to do is procure an R1200xx and keep the R1100R and attach a sidecar. That would be a classic setup to me (the 1100 has spoked rims).

Time to go visit 441 Cycle up the street.

Paul

Paul,

When you lose confidence in a bike, it may be time to sell it. I had an R1100RS and put over 50k miles on it without any problems. I now have an R1200GS with just under 35k miles. A $12.00 part (transmission breather vent) was replaced under warranty, but that has been the only problem.

The hexheads are a definite advancement over the oilheads. Less weight, more power, and smoother transmissions lead the list. As has been pointed out, I don't think anyone can really address overall reliability, but, for me anyway, the advancements make for a more enjoyable ride.

Paul,

When you lose confidence in a bike, it may be time to sell it. I had an R1100RS and put over 50k miles on it without any problems. I now have an R1200GS with just under 35k miles. A $12.00 part (transmission breather vent) was replaced under warranty, but that has been the only problem.

The hexheads are a definite advancement over the oilheads. Less weight, more power, and smoother transmissions lead the list. As has been pointed out, I don't think anyone can really address overall reliability, but, for me anyway, the advancements make for a more enjoyable ride.

thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Archived