Short windshield options

Husker Red

Husker Red

I'm planning on putting a summer shield on my r1200rt. I was looking at the choices at Cee Bailey's and I'm wondering which is better for me. I commute in sticky hot Atlanta traffic every day so I want more airflow, but it would be nice if the short shield still provided some protection from rain and interstate winds when raised. Since those are relatively incompatable goals, I guess I place preference on more airflow.

Here's a link to their summer shields. Cee Bailey

The SumVee would appear to block the least wind which is good in traffic, but does it still have any functional value when it's raised? The SumDome looks like it will still have functional value, but does it flow enough air in the lowered position to be a significant improvement over stock?

I am 5'8" and use the regular seat in the low position. I cut down my stock shield on my previous 1100rt and I liked the extra air, but it no longer had much protective value at any position. I would just buy a used stock shield and cut it down by myself again, but they seem to be going for more than the Cee Baileys.

I appreciate any reports,

Mike

I have the Sum Vee & love it. I put in on last month (used it all last summer as well) & will leave it on until the temps get consistently below 60-65 again. I really enjoy the clean non turbulent air.

I'm 5' 10". It's hard to answer your question about it's protective function as that is all relative. I leave mine down 90% of the time & only up a little if it rains or if the temp drops. Certainly, in a heavy rain, it is not as much protection, but I find it adequate & don't have any problem at all with the trade-off. It is soooo much more comfortable in the hot weather & since I wear a full coverage helmet, I don't really need the extra protection. I rarely (if ever) even raise it up all the way.

I also got the dark tint which IMHO looks great.

In sum, I am 100% happy with the SumVee & since I have another Cee Bailey for the colder months, I am glad I have the smallest shield for the summer. Hope this helps some.

Husker Red

Thanks John. I am leaning towards the SumVee. If I'm taking a longer trip it's easy enough to put the stock screen back on.

I cut the old stock windshield on my '99RT right down flush with the top of fairing/dash. It worked so well in getting me lotsa non-turbulent air that I treated myself to a dark Cee Bailey summer sportshield and sawed that one off the same way.It looks so cool on my black bike I feel good every time I look at it.The stock Cee sport shield had some pretty bad turbulence for me.

I cut the old stock windshield on my '99RT right down flush with the top of fairing/dash. It worked so well in getting me lotsa non-turbulent air that I treated myself to a dark Cee Bailey summer sportshield and sawed that one off the same way.It looks so cool on my black bike I feel good every time I look at it.The stock Cee sport shield had some pretty bad turbulence for me.

Sounds interesting. Been thinking about a cut down stock screen for summer. Any pics of yours????

How did you get them cut down? I was thinking about a Cee Baileys summer shield, but my concern was that it's not LOW enough!

Redmac, Here's how I cut down a windscreen....

Mask off the area to be cut. This does a couple things.

It keeps the sabre saw from marring the plastic and it keeps the saw blade from splintering the freshly cut edge. The masking tape should be done on both sides of the windshield and should cover a few inches above and below the cut.

Mark the tape where you want the cut. I usually use the original edge as a guide and then freehand the corners to look like the original.

Go slow with the sabre saw. I use a fine toothed saw blade. Stay outside the line, it's real hard to add material later. After the cut is made, I use a rough file to shape the edge and a smooth file to finish.

It looks like a stock edge when it's done!

I am a bit confused, 'to the top of the dash'? So how much does the shield extend up past the arms that it mounts on? I too have considered this option but was unsure where to make the cut.

Archived