IGNORED

Dunlop 220 - opinions?

TowJam

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 220s are pretty much bottom of the barrel OEM tires. Correct? Any ideas of what kind of mileage a conservative rider on a 1200ST might expect from them? Anything as far as handling, air pressure, etc. I should know about with 'em? (I ride one-up but usually keep the tires at the 2-up recommendation of 36/42 PSI front/rear.)

thanks in advance

My experience is on the RT, not the ST, but...

The 220s gripped and handled fine, but wore extremely quickly. Into the tread wear bars at 4K miles. (my typical tire life is 7-8K for Z6s, etc...

They were OEM on my 05 ST1300 and R12RT.

6k was about it and I did not care at all for the feel or precision. They did however protect the rims..

They are absolutely crappy tires. Not only do they shred with aggressive riding, but they tend to go from "wearing" to "worn out" very quickly. It's not linear.

I hate those tires.

Ick...ick....ick!!! They catch every little hint of rain groove on the freeway. It is the only tire that washed out on me...twice...on my K1200RS. They grabbed before I went down but underwear bunching for certain.

I like the Metzlers. Loved the Roadtec z6's. Fair road life but highly predictable.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 220s are pretty much bottom of the barrel OEM tires. Correct? Any ideas of what kind of mileage a conservative rider on a 1200ST might expect from them? Anything as far as handling, air pressure, etc. I should know about with 'em? (I ride one-up but usually keep the tires at the 2-up recommendation of 36/42 PSI front/rear.)

thanks in advance

tom collins

i didn't have all of those bad experiences with them, but in my case, with a loaded bike and top box, the front seemed to wander around at hwy speeds. milage was not exceptional either. just wear em out and move to something better (kinda like wives?).

enjoy the new steed.

tom collins

Firefight911

Some pretty polar opinions of the Dunlops!!!

I actually like them. For a point of reference though, understand that I was a sponsored racer using Dunlops and raced in the Dunlop Driver's Cup.

For me, the tires had excellent turn in and mid corner stability. The are very predictable at the limits of traction with plenty of warning and no surprises.

That being said, they do not wear very well at all. Best I have been able to get out of them was 4500 miles. When down to the last 1/3 of tread, the wear goes exponentially up so keep an eye on them.

They tend to track the rain grooves which can be a pain.

As a touring, put mileage behind you tire they get 2 thumbs down. As a weekend blaster, sport tire or a track day tire they get 2 thumbs up.

Wear them out and put some Avon Storms on.

Here is my settings sheet for my ST. Adjust accordingly as this is what I used before I put Wilber's on and I weigh 204 lbs.

2005 BMW R1200ST

Suspension Set-Up

Stock Suspension

Last Update: May 1, 2006

ONE UP

Spring Preload: + 20 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -1-3/4 turns from maximum

Tire Pressures: 36 Front, 38 Rear

ONE UP W/ LUGGAGE

Spring Preload: + 25 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -1-1/2 turns from maximum

TWO UP

Spring Preload: + 30 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -1 turn from maximum

Tire Pressures: 38 Front, 40 Rear

TWO UP W/ LUGGAGE

Spring Preload: + 35 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -3/4 turn from maximum

Tire Pressures: 40 Front, 42 Rear

They are absolutely crappy tires. Not only do they shred with aggressive riding, but they tend to go from "wearing" to "worn out" very quickly. It's not linear.

I hate those tires.

+1. I will never put one on a bike again.

Here is my settings sheet for my ST. Adjust accordingly as this is what I used before I put Wilber's on and I weigh 204 lbs.

ONE UP W/ LUGGAGE

Spring Preload: + 25 clicks from minimum

Damping Screw: -1-1/2 turns from maximum

Thanks! This is very helpful as you and I are about the same weight and I'm having a devil of a time being able to see the lines on the preload gauge.

Archived