IGNORED

Garage Door Opner

ndfellow

I'm wondering with the new can bus system on these 2007 RT's, how and what is the best way to get a garage door opener on the bike. I can't stand having to try and dig out my opener from my tank bag each time, but also don't want to spend more on an opener than on my garage door!

Thanks

You may want to look for a keychain opener. A small fob (is that the right word) that attaches to your keyring.

Personally, I use my regular door opener in the left top pocket of my coat. Button facing out. I can activate it that way as I'm coasting down the street in front of my house. Just push it through the jacket.

I keep mine in the very back of my tank bag

on top of the rain cover. Always easy to find.

I thought about mounting it somewhere on the dash but

couldn't figure out how to keep it dry. Let me know

if you figure something out.

I've got a one button remote (that used a 12v battery), sealed up in epoxy, that goes under the fairing. I soldered the button leads closed and a power connection to it. I'm wiring into my LH switch setup.

For a 05-07 RT use a RTP pushbutton bracket (about $20-25), buy a waterproof pushbutton, boot& cover (<$10 depending on where you get them). Toss in a fuse and you have a conveniently located garage door opener switch on the left grip.

If you've got a two-way w/PTT you may be able to piggy back the circuit to that.

Also, if you've got time/equipment you could probably fashion you're own bracket. I'm not setup for much in the way of metalwork.

Best thing I ever did was listen To Ken H (One of the farkle kings) who recommended Flash2Pass. You ditch the transmitter and tap in 2 wires (with self-sealing connectors) into you high beam wires. Then you change the opener button in your garage with the new one. Now, you flash your high beams twice, and, voila, the garage opens! VERY cool. I added one to wiff's car with a second transmitter. 5 minute install on the car, a bit more on the bike as I needed to remove tupperware to easily connect the wires.

Linky

I use this one velcroed to the underside of the instrument panel on the left side (photo attached). It has survived multiple rain rides and bike washings there.

I do have to stop and reach under the left handlebar to activate it but it's always on the bike. grin.gif

867169-DSC_0617_2.jpg.e57a03167b2129abf36ec248b9cefd7d.jpg

I use a small generic opener that I mounted on the inside of the radio/CD access door. I put it there because it's convenient and you can lock it.

Flash2Pass looks pretty neat. Any CanBus issues you know of?

Only if the CanBus gremlins hate it when you flash your highbeams. Mine never did.

I'm wondering with the new can bus system on these 2007 RT's, how and what is the best way to get a garage door opener on the bike. I can't stand having to try and dig out my opener from my tank bag each time, but also don't want to spend more on an opener than on my garage door!

Thanks

I just use a spare door opener from the truck (all our new vehicles have the opener builtin). I had this installed on my cruiser so just used the same thing on the RT. No stereo so I just zip tied it where the left speaker would be.

From Gadgets vulcan site:

Garage Door Opener

Little black button, bottom left of speedo...

157478870-L.jpg

Like a couple of the above posters, I simply lay my garage door opener on top of my CD player in the right hand lockable compartment.

All you need to do is open your g/door opener botton,Find switch on c/board,,Turn over,Tuch a screwdriver across 2 soilder points,,If door goes up and down,you have the right soilder points,,Soilder 2 wires to the board,,go to radio shack,pick up a treaded switch,(switch is open in till pushed)Soilder switch on,Can drill a small hole under seat or were ever,Mount switch,hide door opener box were ever,,It has its own batt,,Ive been doing this for over 20 years,,works great,,Cheep,about 2 bucks to do,, thumbsup.gifPS after you soilder wires on c/board,put back into its box,You cut a small hole in the end for wires to come out,,Keeps it some what water tight!!

All you need to do is open your g/door opener botton,Find switch on c/board,,Turn over,Tuch a screwdriver across 2 soilder points,,If door goes up and down,you have the right soilder points,,Soilder 2 wires to the board,,go to radio shack,pick up a treaded switch,(switch is open in till pushed)Soilder switch on,Can drill a small hole under seat or were ever,Mount switch,hide door opener box were ever,,It has its own batt,,Ive been doing this for over 20 years,,works great,,Cheep,about 2 bucks to do,, thumbsup.gifPS after you soilder wires on c/board,put back into its box,You cut a small hole in the end for wires to come out,,Keeps it some what water tight!!

And for the technical way with pics for this just click on the link I posted two messages up! thumbsup.gif

Crazy_Canuck
Best thing I ever did was listen To Ken H (One of the farkle kings) who recommended Flash2Pass. You ditch the transmitter and tap in 2 wires (with self-sealing connectors) into you high beam wires. Then you change the opener button in your garage with the new one. Now, you flash your high beams twice, and, voila, the garage opens! VERY cool. I added one to wiff's car with a second transmitter. 5 minute install on the car, a bit more on the bike as I needed to remove tupperware to easily connect the wires.

Linky

+2

I went to Radio Shack and purchased a momentary switch which I mounted through a drilled hole in the dash. I ran two wires from the switch into the back of my garage remote and soldered them in. I had enough wire to allow the garage door opener to be placed in the glove box. I have a connector so I can remove the opener and put it in the car when I want to use it there.

There are some good ideas for getting the garage door open, but the least expensive one for me has been simply attaching the opener to the dash front with velcro. It has always been at fingertip reach and has never failed me in the last 90K miles. On long trips, I store it away in the tankbag until I get close to home. I don't live in a rain forest, so, I only have to worry about it getting wet now and then, and I just store it in the tankbag for those few times.

Like I said, this works for me, may not for everyone. The price of admission to try it for a few days or weeks may be all you need to decide if it will work for you.

Here’s another thing to ponder regarding conventional garage door openers visible on bikes, and in cages for that matter...

With the advent of certain illicit user groups on the net that have the ability to do reverse looks ups of a vehicle owner’s home address from a vehicle’s plate number, a slick and growing crime is to steal just the remote opener from a vehicle, run the plate to get the address, then at an appropriate time, often while everyone is at work, go there and clean the place out.

Few people make the connection to the missing remote (E.g. - What did the kids do with that thing now? Damn my opener fell off the bike somewhere!) and the potential to be burglarized until it is too late. And weeks even can pass before the “lost” opener is used by the crooks. (How many people know how to disable a lost remote on their garage door opener system?)

As a result, some crime prevention agencies are beginning to advocate no longer having a remote garage door opener on the visor of your car or in any visible location on/in any vehicle.

Food for thought...

I certainly agree with that! AFAIC, you can't be too careful regarding security.

I don't mean to digress, but a reverse look-up based on the tag number is not even necessary if/when you leave documents and envelopes with your name and address sitting on your car seat or in your tank bag where they can be seen.

Although I have not tackled this project (yet) and my bike is older, I've considered picking up a HomeLink unit (from like an Accord) at a salvage yard and adapting it to the bike. Maybe one day.... dopeslap.gif

Although I have not tackled this project (yet) and my bike is older, I've considered picking up a HomeLink unit (from like an Accord) at a salvage yard and adapting it to the bike. Maybe one day.... dopeslap.gif

Post pics... thumbsup.gif

Archived