IGNORED

It's a seat question,,again

1100RTGuy

My butt is hurting something awful, After looking around I tried to contact Cee Bailey via email twice with no response, maybe I'll call. I looked at Corbin and Sargent and like the Sargent and was wondering if it really is good for a 800 mile day . I would like help from this great collection of like minded community of motorcyclist (whew, that's over) I would rather not spend the time or money on a custom builder as it's not likely that I would do an Iron Butt or a timed event. The Corbin is nice, I had one on the Concours. It was too firm for my liking. Could you all throw out some suggestions for me? Thanks thumbsup.gif

My butt is hurting something awful, After looking around I tried to contact Cee Bailey via email twice with no response, maybe I'll call. I looked at Corbin and Sargent and like the Sargent and was wondering if it really is good for a 800 mile day . I would like help from this great collection of like minded community of motorcyclist (whew, that's over) I would rather not spend the time or money on a custom builder as it's not likely that I would do an Iron Butt or a timed event. The Corbin is nice, I had one on the Concours. It was too firm for my liking. Could you all throw out some suggestions for me? Thanks thumbsup.gif

Jeff, I have the Sargent World Sport on my 1150RT.. Looks good, fair amount better than the stock seat,, wouldn’t say it’s an 800 mile a day seat though.. About 3 hours & I’m ready for a walk-about for a while.. I did a lot of research before buying the World Sport & it seemed at the time (that was a while ago) that on the BMW RT series you could have seat comfort or decent seat looks but not both at the same time..

Twisty

Had a Russell Day Long on my K 1100 LT and it was great. Have a Corbin on my R 1100 RT and it fits my butt exceptionally well (of course it is well padded, my butt that is).

A 2X4 is more comfortable than the stock seat.

grin.gif

I have a Sargant seat on my GS and 07 RT,,Good for 500 miles,Never gone 800 yet!I also put a Alaska Sheep Skin on both bikes,Makes a big dif..Stock seat was good for 20 miles,,No back pain just NUM BUTT,,On the Sargant!! thumbsup.gif

JustKrusen

Here is some info I gave to another member that e-mailed me.

I have a Sargent regular seat on my RT. I like the seat a lot. I'm 5'7" with a 31" inseam. I can only get both of my toes on the ground but I usually just stop with one foot down. My Wing I can flat foot but usually only use one foot. I think it's just practice and what you get use to.

I did not get the Lo seat because it cramped my knees too much. That would kill me on a long ride. It took a long time to break in the seat. It would still hurt between my legs at about 4000 miles. By the time I had 7000 on it I was very comfortable. I have done several 700 mile days and was as/more comfortable as on the Wing. Last month I took a 3500 mile 10 day trip to GA,NC & VA. The seat was great. I never gave it much thought even on longer days. I have over 12,000 on the bike now and would buy the same seat again.

Oh, I did sit on the lo seat several times while trying to make up my mind and felt that it had noticably less pdding than the regular seat.

I did not really consider other brands when buying the Sergeant. My dealer had these seats on the showroom bikes. He also let me use the seats for a couple of rides before I bought one. I needed a seat very soon for a trip and did not have time to wait for a Russell or Meyer. Corbin I will not deal with. Way to many unsatisfied buyers in the Wing world and no dealer satisfaction. If you like the seat great,but if not good luck! Like I said I have a 31 inseam. Casual pants I buy at 31". Riding jeans I buy 32" because the leg rides up while sitting on a bike. They are a bit long when walking but not bad. My seat is black with the griptex. My wife does not ride with me on this bike. She slides around a lot especially while braking. She is spoiled from riding on the Wing. It was better than the stock seat for her but not enough. I do not slide forward while stopping, but I only put one foot down. Pushing the bike around is a little tough because I'm only getting my toes on the ground.

I'm sure there are better seats out there but Sargent is working for me. I do ride a LOT(25,000 per year). Maybe my butt is tougher than others.

Good luck.

Sorry about your butt...

I have a Corbin, that came with my used bike an R1100R... it was dried out, cracked Red leather with blue piping. I was trully butt ugly. I took it to a local seat builder, and we discussed exactly what I wanted, and he had me sit on the bike and he took some notes. I had him narrow down the width at the front, and deepen the "pocket" a little. It came out wonderfully. Fit my backside perfectly. We went with the higher grip factor and 4-way stretch vinyl. It was almost too grippy, but a good rub out with armor all and it is now close to perfect.

My suggestion is to check your local area for a upholstry guy. Actually they are not that uncommon. Ask around the independent shops- does not need to be a BMW shop referral. Most guys re-cover many different brands and styles. My guy took three days to turn around. And the price was less than half what any of the big guys get.

Good luck.

Sidmariner

I just got an email flyer from HORNIG in which they advertise a new seat designed to "release the tailbone" which is a botched translation of "relieves the tailbone".

I like the stock seat on the RT, but for the fact that the thick bolster at the back of the seat presses against my tailbone and pushes me forward too much. I'm 6'3" and I'd really like to slide back an inch or two. It looks to me like HORNIG has removed that ridge which prevents that from happening.

So, I'm thinking about the HORNIG option.

Anyone ever tried one?

You said you don't want a custom built seat because you won't be doing any IBA rides or other timed riding events. You don't have to do those things in order to be comfortable while riding.

I have tried several diferrent seats. By far, the Russell Day-Long is the best in my book and worth the money. The wait has been worth it each time. If you plan your seat build, you can get your seat sent in and back in fairly short order.

If you can, find a few riders that have other custom seats and it might make choosing easier.

SAAB93driver

I have the Sargent on my R1150RS with the Griptex inserts (it's really the same pattern as the seats in my 72 VW) It is pretty comfortable and 6-700 mile days are not too bad unless the weather turns hot then the seat becomes uncomfortable due to the heat and perspiration. I have probably 20K miles on the seat - there is no visible wear.

I don't know if leather would have been a better choice - never had a leather motorcycle seat, but all indications are it breathes whereas vinyl doesn't. Something to consider at time of purchase.

Not only does leather breathe, it absorbs water when wet, and gets really hard and non-strechy when old. Then there is the cracking and hard to clean factors.

Leather is great inside cars, not the best on motorcycles.

Just my opinion, your actual mileage may vary.

Archived