IGNORED

Your new Torrey tires...post ride impressions.

StuGotz

For all you that installed new tires before Torrey XIII, please post your impressions of your tires here:

YR Model bike.

Brand model tire.

miles ridden.

impressions.

My Z6's are junk. I knew I had enough tread for the Torrey event, but flattened both the front and rear right in the middle. And the rear exibited some cupping on the edges, first time ever....I assume time for shocks? I have run 36/40 religiously.

Probably got 6500 on them now, and don't trust them one more mile.

thanks for your info, MB>

BeniciaRT_GT

06 K1200GT

Avon AV55 Storms

Put them on just for this trip. I have a little over 2000 miles on now....

LOVE them. Very stable and seem to be wearing quite well. Very good stick for a tire that still has a good center tread on it.

Most interesting to me about these is the chicken stripes. The rear is mostly not there, but you could argue that only bumps took off the last 1/16 inch, but the front has a good 3/8" or 1/2" stripe. To me, that means a little more front shoulder as the back is near max angle. I personally like that a lot, as I hate pushing the front.

Also, when new especially, but even now with mostly straight miles, these tires take much more effort than I've ever needed to counter-steer OUT of a turn. In other words, I have to push consciously to go from leaning to upright.

I was a big fan of the AV45/46 series of tires, and I think I'll like these even better!!! clap.gif

JerryMather
I was a big fan of the AV45/46 series of tires, and I think I'll like these even better!!! clap.gif

'98 KRS

Michelin Pilot Roads

3,000 miles

I was going to put on a set of Avons but wasn't sure about the new Stroms that replaced the 45/46's so, I went back to the Pilots again.

They're very good sport touring tires and I've had no issues with them what so ever. Even riding up and down Sweeper Madness they held the road with minimal front end slipage over those dreaded tar snakes and when I took it up to a buck fifty with some friends there was no change in how they felt.

I should get another 3 to 4,000 miles on them.

As far as you getting 6,000 miles on a set of Z-6's, I think that's pretty good. When I ran them on my RT, that's about what I got out of a set of them. A solf tire that holds in the twisties isn't going to be a great mileage tire. Remember, our bikes are pretty heavy and the roads in Utah are similar to a giant belt sander. dopeslap.gif

V rated Anakees on the Katoom.

I think they felt as sticky as my Avons do on the FJR. I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't think I slipped once other than on Sweeper Madness....with the tar.

I think I could do a Track Day with em. Anyone ever seen a KTM 950 Adventure at a Track Day.

I know David took his GS to a Track Day....I think he had Anakees too.

Whip

PhillyFlash

2000 R1100RT

Bridgestone 021 front/rear

38/40 f/r pressure

1600 miles Torrey trip, plus 600 more on the Devil's Hwy trip

I'm mostly fine with these tires, but partially disappointed. They are Bridgestone's replacement for the 020, have a completely new tread design, and the rear is dual compound (harder in the center, softer on the sides). They are holding up pretty well so far. No cupping on the front, and no flattening on the rear. They turn in very easily, but sometimes give the bike a loose feeling. Most of the time they feel pretty good. They handled the tar snakes on Sweeper Madness pretty well.

However, when pushing hard through some corners, the rear has slipped out on me a few times. Stretchmark and Christine were behind me at Torrey, coming over the mountain on 12, and said it definately was noticable to them. The slipping did not seem due to tar snakes or other road conditions. I don't remember having this problem with Pilot Roads, which have been my primary choice in tires. As a result of this slippage, I find myself reducing entry speed on tighter corners more than usual, and have not been leaning the bike over as far as I used to do. No pegs or anything else have touched down. I can't remember if they are slipping on right and left corners, but it might just be left handers. I'll go out next weekend and do a test. wink.gif

Pilot Roads have a new tire already available in Europe, but that won't be available here until September. It is dual compound front and rear, and is getting some pretty good reviews. I'll try those as soon as they are available here, as Pilot Roads have been my first choice in tires for the past 3 years.

06 R1200-RT

Avon Storms

Initial set put on for Hill Country ride.

4K miles of straight highway and wet twisties. Tires handled excellent under wet conditions ranging from mist to frog strangler. No flattening of center tread. Rear tire puncture flatted just before reaching home at the end of this trip.

Replaced rear tire with another Storm for Torrey.

Now have about 5500 on front tire. and 1500 on rear tire.

My feelings echo Richards...

"LOVE them. Very stable and seem to be wearing quite well. Very good stick for a tire that still has a good center tread on it. "

Chicken strip experience: same as Richard.

I like these tires better than the Metzeler Z6s, Michelin Pilot Roads or Dunlop D220s.

From a performance then wear priority, I would rate in the following order:

Avon Storms

Metzeler Z6

Dunlop D220s

Michelin Pilot Road (too easy to spin the rear)

From a wear then performance priority, I would rate in the following order:

Michelin Pilot Road (8K miles+)

Avon Storms (6K miles+)

Metzeler Z6 (6K miles+. Very difficult to determine actual tread life remaining)

Dunlop D220s (4K miles max)

I will be sticking with Avon Storms until the next wundertyre comes along...

Conti Road Attacks

38 Front, 41 Rear

12RT

Very good stick in the corners and good in the wet. They wear flat in the middle on the rear. Wear is not linear i.e. half the tread depth left at 3K and none left at 5K. Seems to be less than a 1/10" between wear bar and steal belt. Won't use them again.

R1200RT

front:Avon Storm AV45 w/1K miles on it.

Rear :Avon Storm AV56-brand new

1800 miles (2800 miles on front, 1800 on rear)

pressure is 38 front, 40-42 rear.

The tires handled very well while we were in Torrey especially on Rt. 12 when we were hooning in and out of Torrey. I had some slippage with the front tire on the tar snakes going over Rt. 14 to Cedar City on Sunday. I just went out to look at the tires and noticed I hit a wear bar on the front tire on the left side (argh!!). The rear tire still looks new with 1800 miles on it. While I like these tires so far I have decided my next set of tires will be ME880's. My needs are to find a higher mileage tire and I keep hearing this about the ME880's. With that being said I am willing to give up some grip for a higher mileage tire. I am burnt out on getting 5K-6K miles per set and dropping $270 each time. My 05 RT has 23K miles on it and I am on my fifth set of tires right now in 18 months. I will be the first to admit I am loving this bike but spending $1350 in rubber in 18 months seems absurd to me.

Couchrocket

04RT

Avon Storm STs front and rear.

About 2500 miles on them -- mounted a week or two before Torrey.

GREAT tires. What Richard said re his on GT. The difference in chicken strips between front and rear is amazing / weird. Very neutral, quick turn-in, steady when leaned over, confidence inspiring.

Sticky like Z6.

NO apparent wear on either front or rear at 2500 miles. No cupping, no nothing. Also, VERY quiet.

I like 'em at least as well as Z6 and since I can better judge the rear, and see zero cupping so far, these will replace the Z6 as my tire of choice.

Avon-Storms, 5500 miles, down past the wear bars on the rear and the front cupped.

160lb rider with camping gear for 1. Left MN for Seattle taking back roads across ND, HWY #2 across MT, and #20 across WA. Then to the coast and cross country to Death Valley (107 degrees when I set up the tent and 85 degrees at sunrise when I left) continued on to the Grand Canyon and to central NM, then cross country through the Black Hills of SD and home. I rode between 63 and 78 MPH on the trip so no high speed riding to see what the tires would do for milage. Due to the extreme cupping of the front I will go back to the Z6's which never had a problem. I checked tire pressure each morning and maintained 36/37 in the front and 42 in the rear. Wear on the back was very even and handling was great. Just hoped to get more the 5500 miles on the set. frown.gif

I know David took his GS to a Track Day....I think he had Anakees too.

Yep. They're very good, though they start to get greasy after about 7-8 laps. But that's when the fun starts. tongue.gif

2000RT

Michelin Pilot Road

2000 miles so far

Pressure 40 /42 just checked now 37 38.5

Ok yeah I didn't check every day.

Mounted just prior to Torrey. Put maybe 150 miles on them to scuff em up

All riding in Torrey was 2 up 1500 of that with full load.

Front tire still has the little rubber nipples on most of it! the rear has very clear evidence of lean angle but center is very sound with little wear at all.

Go figure.

These tires work for me

russell_bynum

However, when pushing hard through some corners, the rear has slipped out on me a few times. Stretchmark and Christine were behind me at Torrey, coming over the mountain on 12, and said it definately was noticable to them. The slipping did not seem due to tar snakes or other road conditions. I don't remember having this problem with Pilot Roads, which have been my primary choice in tires. As a result of this slippage, I find myself reducing entry speed on tighter corners more than usual, and have not been leaning the bike over as far as I used to do. No pegs or anything else have touched down. I can't remember if they are slipping on right and left corners, but it might just be left handers. I'll go out next weekend and do a test.

I had the sasame issue with the BT-020's when I tried them on my RT.

Y2K R1150GS

Conti TKC80s, front & rear

Couldn't have ridden Cathedral Valley in the rain, mud, and sand without them. Did well enough in mud and firm dirt once lowered to about 20 psi. Still sucked in the deep sand, but that's because I was still the rider.

Squirmy on pavement when new, planted and stable once worn in 3 or 4 hundred miles.

2.5 K on them so far. I think that the rear will only last me about 5K miles. 7 to 10 K for the front.

PhillyFlash
However, when pushing hard through some corners, the rear has slipped out on me a few times. Stretchmark and Christine were behind me at Torrey, coming over the mountain on 12, and said it definately was noticable to them. The slipping did not seem due to tar snakes or other road conditions. I don't remember having this problem with Pilot Roads, which have been my primary choice in tires. As a result of this slippage, I find myself reducing entry speed on tighter corners more than usual, and have not been leaning the bike over as far as I used to do. No pegs or anything else have touched down. I can't remember if they are slipping on right and left corners, but it might just be left handers. I'll go out next weekend and do a test.

I had the sasame issue with the BT-020's when I tried them on my RT.

Oh, so NOW you tell me. tongue.gif

wink.gif

Pilot Roads tend to square off on the rear, and the front gets noisy, but I always felt confident leaning over with them. No more Bridgestones for me.

Archived