IGNORED

Bmweerman Week 3 Monday

bmweerman

I never would have guessed that I would be here this long. As you're well aware, it's been a very rocky road, complete with a few potholes. It seems to be smoothing out pretty well now, the bumps are barely there and I see some pavement in the distance.

I got up early this morning so I could catch the doctor on his rounds. Showing up at 6:15am, I was told that since it was a holiday, the doctors never show up before 8:00am! I told the nurse I'd be back then, but to let the doctor know I needed to talk to him. So I went back to my room and tried to get a little more sleep. A doctor called me, she was the one on call, and pretty much told me what I already knew-that Cameron was Ok physically, as far as she could tell, to be transported. She didn't know the particulars about the second surgery or rehab. Only that he is stable and all his levels are within whatever perameters they use to authorize transport. She did say she will put a note on his doctor's locker with my concerns and questions and let him know I need to speak with him. Well, she may not have been able to answer my questions, but at least I got a direct line to the doctor.

When I returned to see Cameron, I suited up and went into his room, only to be asked to leave within minutes of my arrival-by Cameron. He seemed a little aggitated and uncomfortable. His sedatives have fully worn off and the doctor had mentioned that the area around his gall bladder was bothering him. She thinks it got bruised in the accident. So, with my feelings a little bruised, as well, I told him I'd be back in the afternoon. He told me that would be good.

OK, so I decided to make that trip to Durango. The road I took there was a beautiful drive. I'd never been to the area so was surprised by all the green and lack of flat land. I have a topographic map of the US at home and always thought that area was flatter, I guess it is in comparison with the mountains of the Denver area. I had a nice time walking the downtown area, looking at the architecture-I love old buildings. There's some great shops there, I'm going to have to return sometime with some shopping cash and do a little wardrobe enhancing. The downtown reminded me of a slightly gritty San Luis Obispo downton. I took the more direct route back to Farmington and it wasn't nearly as pretty. There isn't much of a difference, miles wise, between the two so I'm baffled as to why anyone would want to take the boring route, though, of course it does pass through several small towns.

Returning to Cameron in the early afternoon, again I was only there briefly and he told me I needed to leave. He said I smelled dusty and it was aggrivating his breathing. He told me to take a shower, change clothes and then come back. Again, some more bruises on my feelings. The hot water has been out where I'm staying so I didn't shower after my excursion yesterday. I figured that my hair must have some dust in it, so off I went for a cold shower and change of clothes. Back I went to the hospital and we finally settled in and looked at some pictures he took on his ride and then started watching some TV. All of a sudden he said he was tired and that I should go. I was puzzled by all this and he finally said he felt like he was supposed to entertain me. I reassured him that all I wanted was his company and suddenly everything was OK and we sat together through and episode of CSI. By then he really was getting tired, he looked exhausted. He had a good round of physical therapy while I was in Durango and it was catching up with him. So, feeling better, I gathered my things and told him I'd be back in the morning.

I have lots of questions for the doctor in the morning so will, again, get there early and speak with him. The nurse told me that they would inform him of my desire to speak with him, as well, so either way I'll catch up with him. Hopefully, that will start the ball rolling on getting home.

clap.gif

I've been follow y'alls story and don't know what to say. Your a wonderful lady, wife, and person. I would be proud to call you a friend.

Hang in there, your doing everything you can and more than anyone should expect.

Please continue to keep us updated and remember though you may feel alone, your not, we're all here with ya.

If there is anything we can do, just ask.

Whip

BTW...next time your in Durango take the train ride......pay extra and sit in the caboose....

Patti,

I look for your updates every time I turn on a computer. I'm so sorry for what you both are going through, but I'm also so happy that you are both likely to make your way through this intact, bruised and a few scars, but hopefully stronger by the experience.

Patience.

I wish you both well.

Firefight911

Keep the prayers going and keeping a close eye on you two returning home!!!

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

The road is still long but, as you said, it is starting to have pavement on it!!

wave.gifwave.gif

Patti,

Glad to hear you're taking care of yourself and doing some enjoyable stuff. Sorry Cam seems out of sorts. Nothing like three weeks in the hospital with catastrophic injuries to do that. You are a blessing to him, and without speaking for him, I'm sure he knows that. I hope you two are able to come home soon, so that perhaps we can come see him.

Hang in there and thanks for keeping us all informed about his condition as well as yours. We care.

Ornery can be good. Means he's a fighter. They're usually the ones who want to get better faster...."just so I don't have to lay here ANY LONGER!!"

Hang in there, Patti.

Durango is gorgeous. Here's something to help:

Strater.jpg

...asked to leave within minutes of my arrival-by Cameron... So, with my feelings a little bruised...

... he told me I needed to leave. He said I smelled dusty and it was aggrivating his breathing. He told me to take a shower, change clothes and then come back. Again, some more bruises on my feelings...

I'm one of the nicest guys one can know...until I'm on pain meds and then I'm just a PITA. Try not to let those comments bother you. When the fog lifts, he'll remember that you were there for him. He may not remember what a PITA he was though. I needed others to remind me how bad my behavior had been.

Praying for both of you.

patti,

i do not know you, but please know you have my thoughts and prayers. remember when your feelings are hurt that he is definately not himself at that time and try to not take it personally.

your steadfastness is so admirable. i hope we all learn from you what it takes to stand by a loved one in a time such as this.

thanks for your wonderful example. please keep writing to express yourself, and i know it is helping you deal with it.

sincerely,

bob

...asked to leave within minutes of my arrival-by Cameron... So, with my feelings a little bruised...

... he told me I needed to leave. He said I smelled dusty and it was aggrivating his breathing. He told me to take a shower, change clothes and then come back. Again, some more bruises on my feelings...

I'm one of the nicest guys one can know...until I'm on pain meds and then I'm just a PITA. Try not to let those comments bother you. When the fog lifts, he'll remember that you were there for him. He may not remember what a PITA he was though. I needed others to remind me how bad my behavior had been.

Praying for both of you.

As mentioned by the two posts above, pain killers can have some very strange side effects.

Hang in there.

Hang in there! The smoother road is in sight!!

It's heartening to hear today's report - because, truly, it's a sign he's getting better. I'm glad you sorted out both of your feelings - entertaining and otherwise.

Continue to take good care of yourself, even with the transport coming soon. The stress and overwhelminginess is not over. Many hugs,

Sylva

Patti:

Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated, and mostly thank you for being so supportive. This whole episode will take a long time to get over, but believe everyone when they assure you that Cameron's behaviour is a product of his situation and not his "true self". Stick in there and accept whatever support is offered.

Here's hoping for a steady recovery for Cameron. I hope he gets to the point soon where he can read all these posts and that they may help him on his road back.

Mike Cassidy

Patti,

Good job gently explaining your needs to Cameron ("just wanted his company") and turning the tide for one evening.

I'm following your saga and continue to send positive thoughts your way. Hang in there ... You're doing GREAT! thumbsup.gif

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Thanks for the update Patti! Hopefully telling all of us provides some comfort for you too. We're all hoping and praying for a quick and positive outcome.

Archived