IGNORED

Well, at least they DID include a toolkit

TowJam

File this under "Things that make you go hmmmm..."

Check out the toolkit that was (supposedly) shipped with the ST I just took delivery of. I brought it to the dealer's attention and he's put in an order for the correct replacement. He also said they had a similar toolkit ship with a GS not too long ago.

I'd almost forgotten what fuses looked like....

Toolkit.jpg

Jim VonBaden

Not much different from the real one, but what did they expect you to do with the fuses? dopeslap.gif

Jim cool.gif

PS Of course the torx wouln't be there either. grin.gif

The toolkit is a joke on BMW's. I'm sure you can buy one for more money. You would think a world class bike would give an owner something to work with. It's sad that I had to take the toolkit out of my 1981 R100RS and put it in my new bike. I can't see giving the BMW dealer more profit for a toolkit. BMW must think their bikes are perfect and don't break down. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

That is a lot more tools than I got with my new RT. All I got was a screwdriver and one torx driver. Oh, and the nice bag for no tools. frown.gif

The toolkit is a joke on BMW's. I'm sure you can buy one for more money. You would think a world class bike would give an owner something to work with. It's sad that I had to take the toolkit out of my 1981 R100RS and put it in my new bike. I can't see giving the BMW dealer more profit for a toolkit. BMW must think their bikes are perfect and don't break down.
The last real toolkit I got with a BMW was with my '04 K1200RS so I wasn't expecting much more than a oil filler wrench and a pat on the back. I'm surprised I wasn't charged extra for the fuses. tongue.gif

Tool kits a joke!!! I still can't figure out what the "tool" shown in the pic next to the screwdriver is used for??? dopeslap.gif

Tool kits a joke!!! I still can't figure out what the "tool" shown in the pic next to the screwdriver is used for??? dopeslap.gif

I think it's a screwdriver extension but it doesn't fit the screwdriver included in the toolkit. Go figure.

Don_Eilenberger
I think it's a screwdriver extension but it doesn't fit the screwdriver included in the toolkit. Go figure.
It's actually an extension for the allen and torx wrenches included in the toolkit. They slide in one end and the tube provides more leverage to tighten/loosen things with the wrenches. I seem to recall also being able to fit the screwdriver handle on the end way from where the tools insert - but that could be a leftover memory from my R1150RS toolkit.

FWIW - I spent about $11 at Harbor Freight and supplimented the tool kit. A folding torx wrench set was about $3. A set of thin/short metric wrenches (8mm-18mm) was about $8. I might have added one or two other things - can't recall - and I intend to add a T45 wrench for rear-wheel removal, just in case.. and the driver to use with it.

Jim VonBaden

That is exactly what it is for, so you can reach your damping screws with a hot engine/exhaust. The tools that come with the new bikes are for adjusting mirrors and suspension only!

Jim cool.gif

That is exactly what it is for, so you can reach your damping screws with a hot engine/exhaust. The tools that come with the new bikes are for adjusting mirrors and suspension only!

Jim cool.gif

So when I break down on the highway, I adjust my mirrors and suspension? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The tools that come with the new bikes are for adjusting mirrors and suspension only!

I guess BMW never heard of having to remove tires on their newer bikes.

sardineone

At least you have a nice bag to put the Harbor Freight tools in. I did more or less the same, sourcing inexpensive tools I would need for a tire change on the road etc. After paying $50 for a second metal key I had no desire to give BMW more money for tools that any Japanese bike would have in its' tool kit. Luckily no problems on the road for 8500 miles so far. tongue.gif

Jim VonBaden
The tools that come with the new bikes are for adjusting mirrors and suspension only!

I guess BMW never heard of having to remove tires on their newer bikes.

I would say it is pretty rare on a modern bike to have to remove a tire on the road. But if you must, you should carry what I carry:

Some have asked for a complete list of my tools in the kit I have displayed online a few times, so here it is

condensed-kit-displayed-ope.jpg

This is the bare minimum kit you should have. It is marked by asterisks on the list!

condensed-kit-displayed.jpg

Here it is in the pouches.

condensed-kit.jpg

This is what it looks like rolled up.

Complete-tool-set.jpg

Here is what I carry, it represents everything on my list. I have some tools not specific to the R1200GS so that I can help anyone else if they need it.

Tools-in-Jesses.jpg

And here it is in my Jesse bag. As you can see it takes up about 1/3rd of the bag, and fits in nicely!

Here is the complete list of the tools I carry!

Tool list for the R1200GS

Full Kit:

§ Vice Grips 8”

§ 4-way combination screwdriver *

§ 3” needle nose pliers *

§ 3” side cutters *

§ 10mm combination wrench

§ 13mm combination wrench

§ 2 tire spoons 9”

§ Set of metric feeler gauges

§ .006” (.152mm) and .012” (.305mm) feeler gauges *

§ Locking knife with 4” serrated blade

§ Flashlight (extra batteries)

§ Motolight lens removal tool

§ 8*, 9, 10*, 11*, 12*, 13*, 14, 15, 16, 17mm open end wrench set

§ Torx wrench set T8, 10, 15, 20*, 25*, 27*, 30*, 40*, 45*, 50*, 55* socket set

§ Allen wrench set 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, sockets, StandardAllen wrenches 2.5mm, 3mm*, 4mm*, 5mm*, 6mm*, 8mm*, 10mm

§ 3/8” drive ratchet *

§ ¼” ratchet *

§ Extensions 3/8” 3” and 6” *, ¼” 2.5” and 6” extensions

§ Sockets 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 10mm deep, 13mm, 14mm, 17mm, spark plug socket *, 22mm front wheel socket/Allen *

§ Dental Pic set

§ Spark Plug gap tool

§ Oil filter wrench

§ Tire pressure gauge *

§ Spark plug wire remover

§ Leatherman

§ Tire plug kit (string) *

§ Compressor *

§ Extending mirror

§ Small standard screwdriver

§ Oil Cap tool *

Supplies:

§ Spare fuel hose clamps

§ Spare fuel hose splice

§ Assorted nuts and bolts

§ Assorted wire and connectors

§ Digital volt/ohm meter

§ Zip ties assorted

§ Electrical wire assorted sizes and lengths

§ Fuses

§ Lighter

§ Electrical tape

§ Stainless safety wire

§ Duct tape

* Indicates minimum tools for small kit

MOST of the tools I carry are from Harbor Freight or similar. I am not afraid to use them lend them or lose them.

Jim cool.gif

Don_Eilenberger
I would say it is pretty rare on a modern bike to have to remove a tire on the road. But if you must, you should carry what I carry:

Snippage..

Jim cool.gif

Ummm..... Jim, you'll be at Square Route.. wanna follow a few of us down through the mountains to Asheville? Not that I expect to need any of your tools - but the dude going with me is riding an R1150RT..

Just a thought..

Don_Eilenberger

Actually - I'm bringing one thing that Jim doesn't seem to have. I'll be carrying the GS-911 diagnostics computer setup. Since I drag my laptop along anyway.. it's small enough to toss in the laptop case.

I might offer to give a quick seminar on it at RA.. have to talk to Debbie about that..

GoGo Gadget
Or you can take the minimalist approach:

frd0407.jpgwink.gif

That is me for my 9,000mile trip I start in 2 days. I was going to buy a tool set up like Jim's, then realized I don't know how to use half of those tools. grin.gif

Between AAA and BMW roadside assistance,I can get 200 miles closer to a dealer if I break down.

Yea, but you will get a nice leather covered box in the mail full of useless junk, like a DVD, map holder, paper, pen, map milage measure tool, glass block, etc. Much nicer then a messy tool kit that you might attually use.

Archived