IGNORED

R1100RT-P: Who's replaced the front strut on an RT-P? How??

SWB

I'm trying to replace the front strut on my RTP. Right when I get to the place where the manuals says "and just pull the strut front, and downward right off the bike", I pull front, and downward, and hit the RTP crash bar frame, which wraps around the front, abound mid-way across the middle of the strut. eek.gif

Has anyone done this before, i.e. replaced the front strut on an RT-P?

Even if I disconnect the A-Arm from the tree to allow the A-arm to drop further down, about 1/2 inch below there's another section of the crash bar frame blocking it. There's just no clearance to get that stut out of there.

The RTP's have an entire sub-assembly that wraps around the back of the transmission to the front, sides, and bottom of the RTP, encasing the whole engine/transmission assembly in a second frame. I've been thinking about converting and repainting this bike completely to a civilian bike, and this has just about pushed me over the edge. If I have to pull apart the whole front end just to replace a friggin shock, I'm "done" with the "P" portion of the RTP.

- Scott

Haven't done that myself. I'm cringing as I read all the "stuff" you've been going through on yours, and praying I never have to. eek.gif

Haven't done that myself. I'm cringing as I read all the "stuff" you've been going through on yours, and praying I never have to. eek.gif

Well, if I decide to pull that RT-P frame off it'll be a hassle, but maybe not all that much. I'll be using a saws-all on that *#$*@$#@!. It'll come off in pieces.

As far as I can tell, I have to pull apart the front end to get that strut out of there. Short of trying to get a spring compressor up in there and compressing the shock, I can't see any way around it. On the bright side: it should be real easy to get that alternator cover off (also blocked by the RTP frame) so that I can cut it into two pieces. grin.gif

Absolutely nothing is easy with this bike. At least I got it started and road tested today (i.e. tranny, tuning, etc.) - first time in 6 months.

Archived