IGNORED

R1200C

Pilgrim

A friend of mine old enough to know better thinks he wants an R1200C. An '01 just sold while he was making up his mind, but he's still looking.

Any owner experiences and impressions I can pass along to him? Maintenance headaches? Quirks?

Pilgrim

I had one for three years. As cruisers go, it handled well and doesn't weigh alot. Performance is middle of the pack, about equal to a stock HD Fatboy or 1100 class Japanese cruiser. Only problem I had was when going over bumps or dips while leaned left, the sidestand would drag. Very disconcerting as this is a hard part and there is no give. I believe there are a couple of aftermarket suspension fixes for this. Mechanically, I had no trouble.

Sidmariner

My brother has had his for a year now and adores it. Only disatisfier so far is a little premature rusting showing up in a few tiny places, but those are easily caught and corrected. You have to expect that with so much chrome. The earlier models had some bad chrome on the spoked wheels too. Also, the rear signal lights are on cheap flimsy looking stubs which fell off at least twice so far. Apart from that the bike is gorgeous...in a roto-tiller sort of way.

Check out the sister group at www.chromeheads.org for more history.

Archived