IGNORED

Satellite Radio question?

Crazy_Canuck

Crazy_Canuck

I rode Greg,s bike today (used his radio) and realize that I would like Satellite radio. Is there any reccomendations on radio brands and service. Are there any waterproof versions?

Thanks

Rob

There's the Zumo 550, and waterproof GPS and XM radio (additional option). It's not cheap, but I think that's what I'll do.

I'm not aware of any waterproof Sirius radio. Some people get a waterproof protector bag for them, but I like the idea of the box being waterproof.

Rob, I bought a clear plastic cover/pouch thingy for my RoadyXT. Has a drawstring on the bottom. Short of using the pig as a submarine, did the job. Got it at Cycle Gadgets If you end up buying one, lemme know. I'll consider the cover my birthday gift to you.........since I didn't even send a card.

I use the RoadyXT also and it does nicely with a little clear plastic over it. I've got it tucked up tight to the dash by the speedo anyway so the rain doesn't really get to it. Only thing I wish the buttons were bigger for gloves.

RocksforBrains

I bought a Sirius Streamer GT from Cycle Gadgets w/ the Cycle Solutions mount. It works great. I mounted in on a Migsel mount using the RAM mount balls and stalk system above my dash on my R1200RT and get excellent reception. The mount is very stable. I get a few drop outs when riding in the bottom of canyons here in Idaho, but was surprised at how infrequent the drop outs occur. One advantage of the Streamer GT is that it runs off of 12V, so you dont need to worry about a voltage converter when wiring it to the bike. I plug my earbuds directly into the radio. I think alot of the XM radios are 6V and require a voltage converter as well as some means of amplifimg the signal to your headphones/earbuds. Somebody that has an XM radio can correct me on the amplification part as I am not positive about that. You can buy a plastic raincover that fits pretty snugly around the radio. I think the cover cost $12 or so. Cycle Gadgets sells that as well. The cover works great.

Kurt

Crazy_Canuck
I bought a Sirius Streamer GT from Cycle Gadgets w/ the Cycle Solutions mount. It works great. I mounted in on a Migsel mount using the RAM mount balls and stalk system above my dash on my R1200RT and get excellent reception. The mount is very stable. I get a few drop outs when riding in the bottom of canyons here in Idaho, but was surprised at how infrequent the drop outs occur. One advantage of the Streamer GT is that it runs off of 12V, so you dont need to worry about a voltage converter when wiring it to the bike. I plug my earbuds directly into the radio. I think alot of the XM radios are 6V and require a voltage converter as well as some means of amplifimg the signal to your headphones/earbuds. Somebody that has an XM radio can correct me on the amplification part as I am not positive about that. You can buy a plastic raincover that fits pretty snugly around the radio. I think the cover cost $12 or so. Cycle Gadgets sells that as well. The cover works great.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, Do you have a picture of your setup that you could post here?

Thanks

Rob

PhillyFlash

Roady XT in the tank bag. Antenna on top of the tank bag or on RCU shelf. Works fine, and doesn't need any waterproofing. A little more difficult if you like to change stations a lot, but not impossible.

RocksforBrains

Rob;

I am trying to post a picture of my sat radio setup, but since I don't have a website with my pictures loaded, I am unable to post a picture right now. Let me work on it and try to figure out how to get the jpeg down to 35k bytes and host it some where.

Kurt

RocksforBrains

Rob:

Sorry for the delay. Got real busy and spaced it out. Here is a picture (as an attachment) of how the radio looks from the drivers seat.

Kurt

869707-Satradio6-2-07.jpg.0cd28de47904b9d3bb7eff1cd2f9288b.jpg

There we were out riding and I didn't even know it was your B'day! I feel like a bloke now. tongue.gif I would have at least sprung for the frappachino thingy you like to drink so much.

As for sat radios, what you have been told thus far is about right. Sirius is in the midst of buying XM radio. No one knows just yet what changes that will bring. I had XM before Sirius, back when sat radio was still pretty new. I like the Sirius programming better, and of course it is a personal preference thing.

A belated Happy Birthday! clap.gif

Using that mount looks like the receiver is right up in your face, so to speak.

I am not sure, but unless the clutch and brake resevoir covers have changed, the Hoon Hardware Roady Mount may work just fine on the 12RT. Has anyone used it on a 12RT?

RocksforBrains

Actually the radio is well below the view ahead when you are actually riding the bike. The decision one has to make on where to mount it is based on trade offs: Where I mounted the radio (above dash and behind the windshield) is easy to view the radio display and somewhat protected from the weather and insects, rocks etc. The downside is that you have to reach forward to change the station with the toggle switch on the radio (it has a remote, but good luck using it with gloves on!).

If you mount it on the clutch or brake reservoir, it is less protected from the weather etc, but an easier reach to change channels.

Kurt

PhysicsWinz

use a sirius starmate and for the times (rare) that I get caught in the rain I either go bare--protected by my windscreen or put a cheapo (free) shower cap over it. no problems so far.

John

Archived