IGNORED

disturbing trend in rallies?

tom collins

tom collins

i just returned from what has been my favorite rally - the rocket city rally or great chicken rally in huntsville alabama. my buddies and i left weds after work and went half way. next day, we got to the rally site about 11 am. it was set to open at noon. when i got there, i started cruising around looking for a good spot. well, i made 3 circuits before i could find half of a tarmac pad without some kind of trailer or motorhome or car on it. there was space in an infield, but i came early to get a space with a pad. we would park the bikes there and camp next to it. we got 8 guys into the one i finally found. another fun thing was these 2 little girls whose daddy bought them scooters. all they did was ride those noisy things round and round (until i put the grinch on them and complained to the organizers). it had been 2 years since i was last at that rally and my question is, is this the norm now where rvs and campers get there before everyone else and grab all the good spots and little kids run around on these toys making noise? there were way too many cars, rvs, campers and goldwings towing trailers at this bmw rally. these are just my crumudgeonly opinions, so feel free to share your experiences or criticisms as i would really like to know if this is now the norm or i am unreasonable.

thanks in advance.

tom collins

Depends on the rally. By far the best rally I ever attened was HD 90th in Milwaukee. This was a motorcycle rally with events in different parts of the city. Dumbest was Laughlin run back in 92. Way too many people, mostly cartoon characters. Best rally on the beemer for me was the 49er Rally in Auburn (I believe in progress as I write). I have also enjoyed the Village Idiot Rally in Death Valley, and of course our own non-rally in Death Valley during MLK weekend. Don't remember too many cages in any of the ones I have attended. There were several RV's at the 49er rally, but they were parked up the hill out of the way.

nighthawk7

I attended my second Great Chicken Rally this year. I arrived on Wednesday about 3 PM because I had heard that this rally is really getting popular. When I arrived, there were already several 5th wheel trailers, a RV, and 5-8 pop up campers, and 10 tents set up in the main loop.

Everyone likes something a little different and I really don't have a problem with the trailers. I do think this rally had a very high number of pull behind the bike "pop-up trailers" in attendance. This rally has quite a lot of nice shaded camping areas, including another loop (I think the picnic area) nearer the marina. By 5 PM on Thursday, there was still lots of nice camping available. I think you limited your choice by wanting a traditional camp site with the tarmac parking area adjacent to the tent. The ground was surely hard enough to pull your bikes up on the dirt and still be next to your tents.

I was glad I camped in the picnic area because those girls with the mini-scooters were pretty annoying. As we walked the loop, I was afraid I was going to get hit by them. Not a good decision by their parents!

This is a great rally with the Alabama Beemers club working their tails off to cook food for everyone.

AdventurePoser

I don't know if you are being unreasonable or not, but I prefer not to be tent camping next to RVs, trailers, etc, etc. I'm afraid someone will back over my little Mountain Hardware tent in the middle of the night. I'd hate to be a speedbump...

I personally think the best scenario is to have separate areas for tent campers...

YMMV,

Steve in So Cal

Paul Mihalka

I pretty much stopped going to rallies since there is BMWRT/BMWST.com. Between UNrallies, El Paseos, Mayhems, Torreys, there are more then enough places to visit and spend my available time. I find it much nicer to go somewhere where it is about riding and I more or less already know most of the people, than going to a rally where there are hundreds (or thousands) of people and I don't know anybody.

I went to the Falling Leaf rally in Potosi, MO last October. No problem with campers or RV's. Just 600 BMW riders having a great time. thumbsup.gif

Archived