IGNORED

Bump Start an 1150?

JohnNorCal

JohnNorCal

This weekend my riding buddy left his GS parked overnight with his Piaa's on. (I know he had them wired directly to the battery but that's another story.)

Anyway, the battery had enough to click the starter and power up the fuel pump but not enough to start. We tried to push/bump start with negative results. We finally jumped it. Question is..is it possible to bump/start an 1150? We tried it in second and third gear.

Thanks,

John

If there is enough juice left in the battery to run the fuel pump, engine management computer, and fuel injection, then yes, it is possible.

Silver Surfer/AKAButters
We tried it in second and third gear.

It will work. Second is definitiely too low. Might even try a higher gear than 3rd.

John, as mentioned you definitely can push an 1150 off but will probably need to have at least 9-10 volts in the system to get enough spark to get it to fire off..

If faced with that situation again pull the brake relay & light fuses so all is off except the Motronic, ign system, & fuel pump.. In a lot of cases that will allow the system voltage to raise enough to get ignition..

On another note: don’t overdo the push starting if it isn’t firing off as that can overload the catalytic converter with raw fuel & that isn’t good for the converter & could allow the converter to turn orange hot once fired off..

Twisty

If there is enough juice to click the starter I've always been able to get it bump started... usually by myself. I sit on the bike, walk it forward as quick as I can and right when I pop the cluch I hit the starter button too... if it had enough juice to click, usually all the starter needed was a little help by walking the bike forward. Everyone here seems to recommend higher gears... I've always used 1st.

JohnNorCal

Thanks for the info, I should have thought about pulling the fuses as the headlights and everything kept coming on. I kept thinking I wish that he had the Euro switch installed.

Archived