Mapsource route sharing / recalculating

E30TECH

I have a question that I am hoping one of the Mapsource pros here can answer. DGShaffer (Don) and I went for a ride to Bash Bish Falls in MASS today. Don created the route and emailed it to me. I loaded it on my GPS and headed out to a meeting point this AM. As I loaded the route, the GPS showed a screen "This Route Does not match the available maps! It will not follow the roads percisely. Do you want to recalculate it?"

Here is the info on each of our GPS and Mapsource software....

I have a 2730 and I am using Mapsource City Navigator North America NT v8.

Don has a 2610 and he is using Mapsource City Navigator North America v8 (his does not have the NT).

Both of us made sure we have the updated Mapsource versions.

I opened Don's route with Mapsource, and sent it right to my 2730. I did not edit anything.

Can anyone explain why this would happen, and/or explain what I would have to do to prevent that in the future?

steveknapp

Probably NT vs not NT. The NT is a compression scheme. No good way for the GPS to know they are the same map data. Probably just sees a different version and gives the prompts.

When you recalculated, did it work?

A few tips that have worked well for me:

- Make routes that go A-B, not A-B-A. In other words no loops. Recalc on a loop and it will try to take you to the final destination ASAP.

- Add vias to ensure any "gotta have it" sections of road.

- Recalc on the PC before leaving w/ the maps on the PC (not sure if the NT versions come with full maps for the PC?).

- Test on the GPS before leaving.

Steve -

Thanks for your reply.

One route went from A to B and the 2nd route from B to A. Don had many via points along the way too.

I'm not sure what you mean by NT having full maps, but the NT that I have covers the entire US and seems to have a great amount of detail. I thought NT was the updated version of the non-NT.

Next time I will try it on the GPS before I'm suited up, ready to ride. I had to recalc on the GPS, and the routes did not match. Next time I will do it on the PC.

I have one other question if you wouldn't mind answering...Does the GPS itself have the NT maps in it? I have the non-NT version of the program on my PC, and I tried loading the GPS with that version. I had the same problem wit it not matching the available maps.

I am new to this software, but I am getting the hang of it.

Thanks again,

Perry

steveknapp

As I understand it, the NT versions of the maps are specially compressed (think like a zip file) to fit more in the GPS. Or in this case, many units that could not fit the entire US of the standard maps, do fit the entire US w/ the NT compression.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/citynavntAbout.jsp

My guess, I don't have a GPS that uses the NT versions of the maps, is that the GPS compares the versions the routes were created on, and they are different. Hence the recalc notice.

Does the GPS itself have the NT maps in it? I have the non-NT version of the program on my PC, and I tried loading the GPS with that version. I had the same problem wit it not matching the available maps.

Yes, same issue there...

Did you buy the non-NT maps for your PC? If so I'd consider calling Garmin or you dealer. Or at least shoot their tech support people an email. It all gets a bit goofy and it's good to be 100% sure of what you're buying before plunking down the $150 for a map upgrade.

I found this which hints that Garmin might send you the needed maps to do all the work offline.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6395

My 2730 came with the Mapsource City Navigator North America NT v8 DVD. The maps were already installed on the unit.

I will do as suggested and send them and email.

Thanks for your help

John Bentall

What I would try would be to use the .gpx format to share the file.

For example

1)Plot route and save as .gdb file for your 2730.

2)Save it as a .gpx file also.

3)E-mail .gpx to your friend.

4)Friend opens up .gpx file with his (non-NT) version of Mapsource, recalculates and saves as .gdb file

5)Download .gdb file to NavII/2610/Quest 1/SPIII etc

steveknapp

Does the GPS itself have the NT maps in it? I have the non-NT version of the program on my PC, and I tried loading the GPS with that version. I had the same problem wit it not matching the available maps.

My 2730 came with the Mapsource City Navigator North America NT v8 DVD. The maps were already installed on the unit.

So which maps do you have on the PC?

If you open mapsource, go to help, pick "About Mapsource" then click on the "Product Info" button it will list details of all the map(s) you have installed.

I actually have city select, City Navigator North America v8, and City Navigator North America NT v8. I got the 1st two with my Quest, and the NT came with the 2730. I can select which version I want to use.

I always use the NT version, however I tried using both versions in this case to see if it would make a difference in the recalc issue. It did not.

steveknapp

Weird, you should be able to generate a route on your PC, with the NT version selected, then download that to the GPS. It should just work. Importing your friends routes make sense, you'll need to recalc them on the PC with the NT maps selected.

Might be worth making sure the GPS software is latest/greatest. Otherwise a quick email to garmin, or maybe someone here has experience with the specific unit.

Weird, you should be able to generate a route on your PC, with the NT version selected, then download that to the GPS

I can do that, and it does work. But it didn't work with Don's route since he created his with the non-NT version.

I am going to recalc it on the PC and see what happens next time. The GPS did not follow his route accurately after I recalced it. I don't know what would have happened if I did not recalc it.

John Bentall
I wasn't sure which program to download. Any idea which one for Win XP?

Seriously.... you should try my .gpx solution which is fully supported by Garmin before messing around with GPS Babel.

steveknapp

The only thing any different file format is going to buy you is it MIGHT force the GPS to recalc the route.

Anytime you share a route from one map package to another you need to recalc. It's not a file format issue, it's just a map issue.

Seriously.... you should try my .gpx solution which is fully supported by Garmin before messing around with GPS Babel.

Good point. I will try that first.

Thanks

wbrissette

gpsbabel-1.3.3.zip Mirror 960875 44583 i386 .zip

Windows applications are always indicated by i386. Also the .zip format usually indicates non-UNIX/Linux packages. Any .dmg file is always for Mac OS X. .tar and/or .gz files are for UNIX. Although, sometimes they also apply to Mac OS X.

But, look for i386 in the format column and you'll be fine. One of the best tricks I've found GPSBabel for, is for converting my track, and route files into Google Earth files. This allows me to share them with people who don't use a GPS.

Wayne

DavidEBSmith

The GPS did not follow his route accurately after I recalced it

Like Steve said, this is not a file format issue, it's a map issue.

Don't think of the maps as a bunch of pictures. The maps are all mathematical data telling the GPS where the roads are. Different versions of maps will have different data.

When you create a route on one GPS (or on a PC with one version of map data), it calculates route points that match the map data that it has - the route points will sit on the mathematically-calculated map route. When you transfer those route points to a GPS (or PC) with different underlying map data, they may or may not line up with that different map data. Hence the GPS says it needs to recalculate so it can throw out the calculated route you transferred and come up with one that fits its maps.

Usually from one version of Garmin data to another the mapping is pretty close. But sometimes some of the portions of the route that you transfer may not correspond closely enough to the map data in the new unit for it to be able to match it up. Then it starts coming up with new and strange routes.

It's even worse if you transfer routes from one mapping program to another, like from Streets and Trips to MapSource. I did that before the Torrey trip, and all the waypoints and stops I transferred from S&T were a few hundred feet away from the location as calculated in MapSource and in the GPS. So sometimes I would be at a stop and the GPS would think I had a few hundred feet more to go, or wouldn't recognize that I had gotten to a stop and would keep trying to route me back (until I deleted the via point from the GPS), or in some spots got confused about what road I was on.

The route was WAY off once I recalced on the GPS. However, I think the reason for that was the setting in the GPS. I will recalc it on the PC next time and see if that makes a difference.

.dmg file is always for Mac OS X. .tar and/or .gz files are for UNIX

I didn't know that - thanks for the info.

TechDirector

I have had similar problems when upgrading from my 60c to a 376c (along with the Mapsource products).

I seemed to have solved the problem by making sure the firmware on the GPS units was up to date and also updating the Mapsource software. Garmin actually has automated tools to assist with this.

In the Mapsource software choose "Check for Software Updates" from the help menu.

For the unit you can either manually download from the Garmin website or download their automated update.

Not sure if this is the source of the problem but I have not had any issues since I did the updates. It is good to keep the units current anyhow.

Chuck

Thanks for the suggestions, but I did update the latest versions of everything. The only update was the mapsource.

I'm waiting for Garmin's reply

Thanks for the suggestions, but I did update the latest versions of everything. The only update was the mapsource.

I'm waiting for Garmin's reply

Please post what they said. I had a similar situation when I downloaded some routes from Rich Edwards to go to the Riding into History event in St. Augustine. I didn't like his route up, so I re-did the entire route. Route worked perfectly on my GPS thumbsup.gif I used his old route on the way back, and it didn't recognize the maps so it did its own routing dopeslap.gif I guess I needed to re-do the route back and everything woulda been fine. His GPS is 2610 and mine is a V blush.gif

If you go to the Garmin site - the is a difference in the NT vs non-NT on Ver 8 maps. I have a SP3 and a 2720 - the SP3 is not compatible with the NT mapset. I got the same error message when using a set of NT maps on the SP3. I now have both the V 8 and V 8 NT maps sets loaded on my PC to allow for the different GPS units.

Here is the helpful answer that Garmin provided

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be more than

happy to help you with this. The reason for this error is due to the

2600 series uses the standard mapping and the 2700 series uses NT

mapping which is compressed differently. This had to be done with the

unit that came pre loaded burned solid state.

Should you have further questions please contact Garmin Product Support

by replying to this email or contact our Consumer Support Line at

800-800-1020 Monday-Friday 8am-5pm CST.

steveknapp

Right.

Anytime a route is calculated it's done so using a map as a basis.

Take that route, put it on a GPS with different maps (in this case NT vs not NT), ANY different maps, and it will need to be recalculated.

You hit on another point, the GPS settings matter too. Take a route that looks good when setup for the defaults then recalc it telling the software or GPS that you love interstate and hate minor roads. You'll be amazed at the crazy stuff it will do. smile.gif

Garmin's replies have been very helpful...

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be more than happy to help you with this. He would have to create this route in the mapping that the 2700 series has for you to use it. You can also try to print it and recreate it on your mapsource by starting from the beginning.

Pretty lame info if you ask me.

I took one of Don's maps and recalculated it using the same preferences he has, and I think it will work OK. We have not tried it yet, but it loads properly (as would be expected).

Garmin never even took the time to say that - only that he needs to upgrade.

Archived