need help because I was careless

majordad

rear tire needed replacing. I removed the rear wheel/tire and took it off to have the new tire put on. came back and put the tire on...no problems. I had the ignition on thinking I would hold the brake to tighten the lug nuts.........forgot that the caliper wasn't attached. You got it....brake fluid came out (not that much) of the caliper (only one piston came out). I put everything back together, started it up, and pumped the brake to get the rear pads seats. then the ABS/brake lights alternated.

here's my question. I read in cylmers that the ABS system has to be pressure bled. I called the dealer (46 miles away) and they can't do it until June 12th. I have a small pressurized canister that I used for my Saabs and BMW cars. I think it's the same diameter as my RT. Can I pressure bled my bike the same way as I didn't my 535is or will the dealer do something different?

ShovelStrokeEd

You may not need to bleed the rear brake at all. Chances are all you have is a low fluid warning for the rear brake circuit. Locate whatever diagram you have and remove the appropriate fill cap, add some fluid and replace. Good chance the light will go away.

rear tire needed replacing. I removed the rear wheel/tire and took it off to have the new tire put on. came back and put the tire on...no problems. I had the ignition on thinking I would hold the brake to tighten the lug nuts.........forgot that the caliper wasn't attached. You got it....brake fluid came out (not that much) of the caliper (only one piston came out). I put everything back together, started it up, and pumped the brake to get the rear pads seats. then the ABS/brake lights alternated.

here's my question. I read in cylmers that the ABS system has to be pressure bled. I called the dealer (46 miles away) and they can't do it until June 12th. I have a small pressurized canister that I used for my Saabs and BMW cars. I think it's the same diameter as my RT. Can I pressure bled my bike the same way as I didn't my 535is or will the dealer do something different?

Majordad, if a caliper piston came all the way out there is a real good chance you now have some air in that piston bore.. If you got the piston back in quick enough there is a good chance the ABS unit’s rear channel still had some fluid in it so as ShovelStrokeEd said maybe just a rear brake refill will be enough to turn the light off.. You should still bleed the rear brakes (you don’t need a special pressure bleeder as you can use the power from the ABS servo pump).. It’s the re-filling of the rear brake fluid that will the real pain..

I believe the 05 brake bleed is the same as my 02 EVO system but I will let someone with an 05 bike or manual give you the procedure on your 05 so there isn’t any mistakes made..

Twisty

I attempted to bleed the rear caliper with little success. I've decided to take the bike to the dealer and let them fix the brakes as well as replace the fuel filter.

Archived