IGNORED

In search of a new camera

flyingreg

Our digital camera of many years is on its last mile. According to my accountant, our budget is around $300-400. Of course I want the most bang for the buck. I would like to have a good lens with zoom capabilities.

I have always leaned toward the traditional brands of Canon, Olympus, etc. but am willing to expand my search.

Any suggestions, which cameras should I look at the hardest?

TIA!

Depends on the features you want.

Anti-shake lens?????

How much zoom do ya want????? 3, 6, or 12, times.

How small do ya want the camera??????

Are you partial to SD cards or do ya have a "Killer" TV and want to slip that Sony stick in the TV and watch your pix on the big screen.

Whip

Depends on the features you want.

Anti-shake lens?????

Don't know what that is?

How much zoom do ya want????? 3, 6, or 12, times.
As much zoom as I can get as still stay in my price range.

How small do ya want the camera??????
I'm not looking for a pocket camera this time, but it has to be able to fit in the tank bag.

Are you partial to SD cards or do ya have a "Killer" TV and want to slip that Sony stick in the TV and watch your pix on the big screen.
That's a real cool feature on Killer's TV. A new flat screen is in the future too. I thought those cards being put into Killer's were SD cards? So what's the difference?
chrisolson

max zoom = canon S5 IS , a bit more than your budget, but wait a few months - or the S3 - the older model - for less than your budget

pocket camera would be the canon sd 800 IS - trusting one of these to take great pics on the summer trip

For the money I like the Sony H1.

Doc47 just bought one...$299

12 times zoom...maybe the best part of this camera....very few dig. cameras have this much zoom.

Good anti-shake....stablizes the lens so your pix don't get all blurry if you are not totally still.

Takes great pix even when chasing you through the mountains.

www.fulldaytouring.com

Not real small, but will fit in your tank.

It's also pretty durable...you remember you picked it up off the ground at Lizzard Head Pass and it was fixed in less than a week.

If you buy a sony TV you can watch the pix on the big screen.

I like it.

Good Luck my friend.

Whip

Call me if you want to talk about it or borrow it for awhile.

bmurphypdx

One aspect of the decision that may affect your purchase if the camera is to be used on bike trips. Those slick slim models can run out of juice and need to be recharged. Those with a bulge on one side run off of AA batteries which can be replaced in a minute.

One aspect of the decision that may affect your purchase if the camera is to be used on bike trips. Those slick slim models can run out of juice and need to be recharged. Those with a bulge on one side run off of AA batteries which can be replaced in a minute.

H1 uses AA Batteries.....

I like the Panasonic with the Leica lens. It is Panasonic electronics with a 35mm eq 35mm wide angle to 420mm telephoto. Leica is arguably the worlds best lens and with the anti-shake capability, allows you to get excellent telephoto hand held. will accept additional lenses from 18mm wide angle to X3 telephoto. Not small but will fit in tank bag.

I asked the same question a while back. I got a lot of good feedback on the Canon S3. Did some research and now I own a Cannon S3 IS. 6.0 megapixels, 12x optical zoom, ISO up to 800, and it even shoots video!. Not a pocket camera, but not as big as an SLR Either. Fits in the 1150RT tankbag easily. $349.00

thumbsup.gif

wbrissette

I'll second the Panasonic choice. I've owned a couple of digital cameras now, and my Panasonic LX-1 (no longer made, it's now the LX-2) is the best I've ever owned.

Be sure to check out http://www.dpreview.com for in-depth reviews and opinions on digital cameras. They have forums for each brand so you can get users opinions too.

Good luck with your selection.

Wayne

That's a real cool feature on Killer's TV. A new flat screen is in the future too. I thought those cards being put into Killer's were SD cards? So what's the difference?
They're Sony Memory Sticks. Just another format of flash memory but you have to have the right one for your equipment. You don't need a Sony camera though, I don't have one. I just make up the "slide shows" in a set of folders on my computer and load them onto the stick using a multi-format Belkin card reader when I want to show them .
Mark_Turner

Do not buy a Cannon camera! I repeat do not buy a cannon, they will not fix a camera under warranty. They will come back to say they found corrosion damage due to water or some excuse like that. I'm not the only one who has had this experience.

[minor hijack]I don't know anything about Killer's, but when you go TV shopping you'll see that lots of sets have either card slots, USB ports, or both. Our Samsung has a USB port. We like being able to load up a flash drive and plug it in to play slide shows when we have guests.[/minor hijack]

Couchrocket

Another camera worthy of your consideration is the Olympus 770 SW. This camera is drop proof from 5', crush proof to 220 lbs., and WATERPROOF (w/o an underwater case!) to 33'.

If I were in the market for a "bike camera" these days... this would be it.

Michael Reichman of "The Luminous Landscape" even liked it when he took it along on his Amazon River trip recently.

41LVuMZKChL._AA280_.jpg

I was looking at the Canon S3IS, looks like a nice choice. All the choices thrown out there have merit and look good. So far, leaning toward the Canon.

chrisolson
I was looking at the Canon S3IS, looks like a nice choice. All the choices thrown out there have merit and look good. So far, leaning toward the Canon.
$277 + $15 ship HERE
$277 + $15 ship HERE
$279 + $15 S&H, includes, tripod, lens cleaning kit, and LCD screen protector. Found it HERE. I am undecided for another day or two. I just started looking today.

Archived