IGNORED

r1200rt vs. k1200gt

yellojakit

yellojakit

Ok guys, I'm sure this subject matter has crossed the waves before. It's time to take a closer look at riding two-up. I've owned a previous 06 r1200rt and it was a good bike, but I got back to my roots in the r1200gs. Something tells me that long distance touring two-up should be an upside on the new k1200gt. I did take one for a test ride, but not long distance and certainly not with my wife. Has anyone here experienced both rides two-up on a consistant basis and more importantly if you currently own a k1200gt, how does your significant other like the ride after a few hundred miles. Ultimately, I feel that the rt offers more protection and perhaps better handling around tight curves but lacks the passing power that the gt produces. Is the gt worth the extra $ for my purposes?

The real question is whether your passenger can handle more passing power? I rented both in Las Vegas for a day with just that question in mind. Mine thought it was way too fast (translate: too scarry). Personally, I felt the GT was not as confortable a ride - but it was real fun!

yellojakit

I just got back from my local dealer and talked to a guy who bought an rt for the following reasons: lighter bike, better wind protection, longer fuel range, less noise, handles better, no heat factor from engine, more accessories, and of course save about $2200 comparably equipped. So far I'm not getting many nods from the gt folks. Looks like I'm going back to the rt, this time w/stability control and tire pressure monitor additions. GT lovers please comment...Thanks.

Victor, as an 1200 RT owner, If you go the RT route again, I'd strongly recommend going with Ohlins instead of the ESA. I have ESA and find it not nearly as good as my 1150 with Ohlins. As soon as my ESA shocks have 20K on them, I'm switching to Ohlins.

chrisolson
Looks like I'm going back to the rt, this time w/stability control and tire pressure monitor additions. GT lovers please comment...Thanks.
I don't ride 2 up anymore, but a few folks over on k-bikes who came from LTs still do and love the GT.

Bottom line is - the GT is more sport oriented in riding position and wind protection - passenger comfort may have something to do with passenger size eek.gif . The GT is all about the motor - 50 horsepower more is not to be sneezed at, plus its really smooth. I have no heat issues on mine.

Since many dealers will let you demo - go back, take your pillion and see which is better for you.

yellojakit

Your right, I need to take my better half out for a good hour or two test ride on a gt before making a decision...interesting comments on the ohlins, John. I believe you mentioned that there was also an after market company that interfaced their shocks with the BMW ESA system? Remember who it is?

vic

Lets_Play_Two
Your right, I need to take my better half out for a good hour or two test ride on a gt before making a decision...interesting comments on the ohlins, John. I believe you mentioned that there was also an after market company that interfaced their shocks with the BMW ESA system? Remember who it is?

vic

I had an '03RT so the comparison is not the same, but I had significant test ride time on both the RT and the GT, solo and 2 up. The GT handles better than the '03RT, the engine and transmission are much smoother and as far as heat issues, the '03 RT was a heat pump when stopped with the heat coming up inside the windshield. I don't know that there is any difference in accessories and the storage is about the same. The seat on the 07 GT is a significant upgrade to the RT seat. Now as far as riding it, my SO unequivocally chose the GT over the '07RT for comfort (she is 5'11") And of course there is no comparison to the GTs power through the entire range. Yup, it costs more, but you get more psychic benefits when you twist the throttle. grin.gif

The GT is all about the motor - 50 horsepower more is not to be sneezed at
The GT does not have 50 horsepower on the RT. According to BMW it has a 42hp advantage at the crank. According to magazine tests the GT has 126 to 129 at the rear wheel while I've seen 96 to 102 for the RT. Around a 30hp advantage in the real world. Torque at the rear wheel is nearly identical for both bikes. That's right, the RT nearly matches the GT in torque at the rear wheel and it does it at lower RPM. A fully loaded RT is about 40lbs lighter than a loaded GT. My RT is even lighter because it has no radio or ESA. Shocks are lighter Wilbers. The boxers get better fuel economy than the Ks and RT holds more gas. I routinely get 48mpg on my RT city. That translates to 350 miles between fill-ups because I can get 8.1 gallons in the tank.

Yeah, the RT needs more work to make it go fast. Good thing it has a smoother gearbox than the GT. Power is nice, but it's not everything. I spent many miles in Germany feeding far more powerful sportbikes to my old airhead R100RS. Those sportbike drivers could never understand why they couldn't keep up with an old 70hp clunkmeister. grin.gif

Archived