IGNORED

Autocom Bluetooth for Phone and GPS Now Available

EffBee

From a Bulletin just released by Autocom USA:

Autocom’s new Bluetooth receivers are now available for order and delivery. Part #1273 can be used with the Easi-PLUS, Active-PLUS and Super Pro AVi. All other Autocom units must use Part #1276. Both units allow for riders to Bluetooth their phone or GPS to the Autocom without wires. The Autocom Bluetooth receivers will connect with most current Bluetooth phones and audio devices. Refer to the articles below for more information on each receiver.

Note: Please be aware that although Bluetooth technology adds wireless functionality, the quality of all Bluetooth audio is less than hard wiring an audio device directly.

Part 1273

The 4-pole Part #1273 Bluetooth Receiver is for use with all 2006-current Autocom units. The 1273 is powered via the Autocom itself through a power enabled AUX1 on the Easi-PLUS, Active-PLUS and Super Pro AVi. Existing systems must be sent in for Power Activation of AUX1 to enable the 1273 to be used. Any customer that sends in Part #1238 (3-pole standard cell phone lead) will also receive a free 1240 (4-pole standard cell phone lead) in exchange. After the AUX1 power is activated ONLY 4-pole leads may be used. Using a 3-pole plug will create a power surge to the peripheral device attached to it causing permanent damage. We recommend keeping the Red Socket Plug (comes in all power enabled Autocom units) in AUX1 when not in use as a reminder that it is powered and only meant for 4-pole devices..

Part 1276

The 3-pole Part #1276 is for use with all Pre-2006 Autocom models (Pro-7-Sport, Active-7-Smart, Easi-7-Advance, etc.). The #1276 Bluetooth Receiver is powered via the bike and comes with its own power lead that must be hardwired to the bike, similar to the Autocom unit itself.

------

If you want to purchase these from your local dealer, give us a week or so to get them in from Autocom.

266555118_865854-part12731.png.9b37b88575d4be3b5570da6aa79b6eeb.png

Now that is great news smile.gif

I've been looking for a solution as nice as the parrot carkit in my car.. Pictures! ow, any word on pricing?

Daniël

Now that is great news smile.gif

I've been looking for a solution as nice as the parrot carkit in my car.. Pictures! ow, any word on pricing?

I attached a picture of Part 1273 to my first post. I'm attaching a picture of part 1276 to this post.

No word on pricing yet. I'll know more on Monday when I can talk to Autocom.

2113794192_865954-part12761.png.1590f541885be10ae984ce1033fba974.png

Will the new models be shipped with the AUX1 socket activated?

confused.gif

No, they will not. You will either have to send your existing Autocom unit to Autocom USA (Top Gear Distributing), or you can have your dealer order you a new Autocom with the Aux1 already activated by the distributor.

More info. MSRP of the Bluetooth receiver units will be $149.95.

Basically, although the 1276 is supposed to be restricted to use on the older Pro-7/Pro-M1 models, this will be the de-facto go-to answer for Bluetooth on all Autocom models. The 1273 model requires sending your Autocom unit in, to have the 4th contact in Aux 1 activated to provide power to the Bluetooth. This means no separate power wire like the 1276 uses. Cleaner, yes. But if your Autocom is already installed and wired in, it's a PITA to remove, plus the shipping to and from Autocom, plus there's a charge of about $35 for the electronics work they have to do to activate the power circuit in Aux1. (eventually, Autocoms will come with Aux1's power activated, but not just yet).

It's much easier to use the 1276 and power it by tapping into the Autocom's hot lead (the 1276 is grounded through the Autocom).

We already have a handful of the 1276 and 1273's on order and expect them to arrive within just a few days. Check with your local Autocom dealer to see when they're getting their supply.

I ordered part 1276 from Top Gear last Thursday and it arrived the next day.

Haven't had the time to install it yet. frown.gif

Just as an aside, you can get the same functionality with a $10 Motorola device on eBay. I use it with my Pro-7, Zumo, and Razr, no problems. No modifications to the Pro-7 are necessary, installation time is about 30 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...
RussInParis

Could you provide a link to this device? Or a name or model number? I've been searching through the Motorola site and haven't found anything like this.

Thanks,

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

I have a stupid question about the Bluetooth device for the older units (ProM1)....

This only allows bluetooth between the GPS/cell phone and the acutal autocom unit - right. You are still hardwired from the autocom to the hemet?

I have a stupid question about the Bluetooth device for the older units (ProM1)....

This only allows bluetooth between the GPS/cell phone and the acutal autocom unit - right. You are still hardwired from the autocom to the hemet?

Yes, you are still hardwired. The battery technology does not exist that would allow a helmet headset, with two speakers capable of good stereo sound at 100+mph, plus a microphone, to be powered and still be light enough to not contribute to head/neck injuries in the event of a fall.

All of the intercom manufacturers are working on wireless systems. None of them who truly produce good sound quality at elevated speeds are even considering Bluetooth as their wireless medium. It's not sufficiently robust, is what I'm hearing. And while you may someday no longer be wired to the bike, you will still probably have to have a battery pack in a jacket pocket, connected to the helmet.

Yes, you are still hardwired. The battery technology does not exist that would allow a helmet headset, with two speakers capable of good stereo sound at 100+mph, plus a microphone, to be powered and still be light enough to not contribute to head/neck injuries in the event of a fall.

All of the intercom manufacturers are working on wireless systems. None of them who truly produce good sound quality at elevated speeds are even considering Bluetooth as their wireless medium. It's not sufficiently robust, is what I'm hearing. And while you may someday no longer be wired to the bike, you will still probably have to have a battery pack in a jacket pocket, connected to the helmet.

Like I said, It was a stupid question blush.gif

I didn't even think about the weight of batteries (let alone having to be wired to them).

Thanks for the info

Archived