Alternator cover modification

Richard_D

I remember someone posting how to cut a hole and put a removable plug in the alternator cover to make finding TDC easier .I'm trying to find out what plug they used and had no luck searching the archives.

Another member here, Jim (BMWGreenRT) helped me with that modification on my 1999 R1100RT (although I seem to recall that it was mostly for accessing the bolt to turn the engine over. I can't remember if it was possible to determine TDC from that location, unless you marked it with paint etc.)

I wrote down the part number (from the /5 series)

Rubber plug for Alternator access hole from /5

31 42 2 000 381

It was $2.99

Chris

I assume you are turning the engine to adjust the valves. Just have the bike on the center stand and put the tranny in High Gear. Turn the rear wheel by hand in the direction of forward travel. Watch the cam sproket on the side you are adjusting. When the little arrow lines up "level" check for loosenes of the valves. If loose that side is ready to adjust. If tight, valves open, go to the other side and adjust. You can check your position by looking at the flywheel marks. After you see how the arrows on the cams line up when the flywheel is on OT. It will make sense. No need to put holes in stuff.

Cheers

Steve

I'm aware of that method however I prefer the other. I'm wondering if the part # is from the 5 series car?

I'm aware of that method however I prefer the other. I'm wondering if the part # is from the 5 series car?

No, that rubber cap is from a /6 or /7 BMW motorcycle. Look in the parts catalog here:

http://tinyurl.com/2hgga5

It is the cap for the bottom of the fork sliding leg.

Mick

Jerry Johnston

When I made the modification I used a plastic hole plug from Checker Auto. Buy the largest plug first and then you'll know exactly what size hole to make.

Archived