IGNORED

Hello from the UK. R1150RT ABS Bleeding.

itspilsbury

itspilsbury

Can anyone give me some advice please. My 1150RT is now out of Warranty and has just covered 12000 miles. Due to the fact that the dealer wants £300 to £400 to service it I have decided to do it myself. Reading through this forum a lot of people do it themselves. Most things I have no problem with doing, however as my bike as the BMW fully linked servo assited abs brakes I was wondering whether to do the service myself and let the dealer bleed the wheel lines.

Reading the service manual it shows several BMW tools that are required to do this. I have seen some excellent posts about using your own tools, funnels , bleed pipes etc but 1 part is still needed I think, that is the ABS bleed 'top' or 'cap' BMW part no. 342541 or is it 90886342541 ?. I have telephoned my BMW dealer in the UK and they tell me that this tool is no longer available ?????.

I have emailed Marin BMW in the USA to see whether they stock it and IF they can ship to the UK.

My question is, firstly how important is it that the wheel circuits are bled every year and the control circuits every 2 years (this is the recommended period in the service book) or is that a bit over the top (I do about 4 or 5,000 miles a year).

And secondly, where can I definately obtain one of the ABS bleed 'top' or 'cap' BMW part no. 342541 or is it 90886342541 from.

Thanks,

Ian wave.gif

Hi Ian,

whereabouts in the UK are you? I am going to be bleeding my R1150RT's brakes soon and have assembled the necessary parts and we could help each other through the process if there is not too much distance between us.

The cap in question is a spare for the bike - it is the resevoir cap. Your dealer is just trying to make it difficult for you to DIY the brake service. I intend using a rubber bung from a home-brew kit with the funnel glued in the end. (tip - freeze the bung to allow the hole to be drilled out larger for the funnel)

Andy

I am halfway between Hinckley and Coalville, near Market Bosworth - or if you prefer, three miles north of Mallory Park an easy hour's ride.

Andy

Andy Johnston

I've just done my 1150 rt a couple of months ago,

I used a new nylon funnel with self amalgamating tape around the nose of the funnel, just screw it in to the ABS servo reservoirs, it worked a treat.

The whole job is easier than convensional brakes

cheers Andy

itspilbury and boffin...I am going to be doing the brakes on my 2004 1150RT next weekend. The dealer and the Clymer manual seem to be saying, "Hey kids, don't try this at home." Would love some advise. From what I see here it sounds like it is do it yourselfable

Thanks for the link, I'm looking forward to next weekend. This is my first attempt at doing my own servicing so wish me luck. smile.gif

Archived