IGNORED

02 R1150RT Rear Caliper Mount

t2sfd

Is there supposed to be a washer/spacer between the caliper and where it mounts to the final drive? I just purchased a 2002 R1150RT with 12,000 miles on it (that was only worked on by the dealer) and had to remove the rear wheel to have a tire mounted. The bike has a Carbon Fiber inner fender that mounts to the rear caliper bolts. The calipers have BMW on the face, but have Brembo pads.

Upon removing the hex head bolts to remove the caliper and inner fender a washer came out from what seemed to be between the caliper itself and the mounting hole where it bolts to the final drive assy. I looked at the Clymer manual and online at a parts fische and can't seem to locate where this extra washer should go, or even if it's supposed to be there. Any help?

Bill_Walker

My '04's got a washer under the rearmost bolt and a bracket that holds the ABS wiring under the forward bolt. I've no idea if that's the way it's supposed to be. It's equally likely the washer should go between the bracket and bolt to keep the bolt from turning the bracket as you tighten it.

Sam Taylor

Yeah, as you can see you need a washer on the rear mounting bolt to compensate for the ABS wiring bracket(same thickness as a washer) on the forward bolt.

You MUST use it; otherwise your caliper will be misaligned. DAMHIK.

Yeah, as you can see you need a washer on the rear mounting bolt to compensate for the ABS wiring bracket(same thickness as a washer) on the forward bolt.

You MUST use it; otherwise your caliper will be misaligned. DAMHIK.

Sam, look closely at the picture.. The washer goes under the bolt head NOT between the caliper & bracket..

Twisty

Archived