IGNORED

Brakes rubbing in neutral (or at least something making noise)

jbr7t

In neutral if I push the bike I can hear the brakes rubbing or some sort of light grinding noise. It sounds like the brake dragging so I assume that is the culprit. Is this a normal function? Can it be adjusted without causing braking problems?

Jim VonBaden

That isn't necessarily a problem. Disc brakes always touch the rotors lightly, and often make a slight noise.

Of course you should check your pads, and make sure your not binding, but I wouldn't worry if all you have is a little scuffing sound when pushing it.

Jim cool.gif

PS Where in VA are you? You could come over and I'll take a look if you like?

That isn't necessarily a problem. Disc brakes always touch the rotors lightly, and often make a slight noise.

Of course you should check your pads, and make sure your not binding, but I wouldn't worry if all you have is a little scuffing sound when pushing it.

Jim cool.gif

PS Where in VA are you? You could come over and I'll take a look if you like?

Thanks Jim. I guess what I'm hearing is normal.

I am in Hanover County..Just north of Richmond.

I clicked on your link for the video you have made. It looks like you are a valuable resource on repairs. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain from time to time...or maybe show up and say "HELP!!!" I am researching the 12k service and annual service now on my '04 1150RT. I am hoping to do it myself (or with a little help from a NOVA neighbor??) I have never done much mechanic work so am trying to learn, and gather tools. So it is just a slow process at this point. Anyway, thanks for the advise and hope to talk to you soon.

By the way, your private message box is full.

If you can easily rotate the wheel when on the center stand and in neutral, but still hear a bit of a dragging sound, that's normal.

Jim VonBaden

Anytime James. I am in Woodbridge, along 95 towards Richmond.

You might consider coming to one of our local tech days. go to www.bmwbmw.org and find the forum from there.

Jim cool.gif

Archived