IGNORED

Do I have a Brake Problem ? - R1150RT

Sidmariner

Sidmariner

Bike: 2002 R1150RT. Brake fluid clean and topped up.

Conditions: Any: wet, dry, doesn't matter.

Speed: Moderate, usually in town, below 30mph

Symptom: I'd be in a moderate lean, usually in a right hand turn, applying some brake. Suddenly, for only a second or two, the brakes would release completely, resulting in a feeling of lunging forward.

Result: Momentary surprise and thankfulness that I wasn't too close to someone's bumper.

Questions: Any suggestions on the cause of this effect and, is this something to be concerned about?

I am certainly no expert, but it sounds to me like the ABS kicking in. Possibly a momentary traction slip due to being in the turn??

Symptom: I'd be in a moderate lean, usually in a right hand turn, applying some brake. Suddenly, for only a second or two, the brakes would release completely, resulting in a feeling of lunging forward.

Result: Momentary surprise and thankfulness that I wasn't too close to someone's bumper.

Questions: Any suggestions on the cause of this effect and, is this something to be concerned about?

I agree with the other posts as well probably ABS working. You should try to do all or most of your braking before the turn . Try to avoid brakes in turns unless compleatly necessary like to avoid something, even then would be a better choice to alter your path instead . Dave

Sidmariner

Sometimes it coincides with a bump, but usually it's on a smooth road.

Typically, I'd be rolling around the right turn lane at an intersection, slowing down while I do a shoulder check before rolling on throttle and merging with crossing traffic.

I figured it was ABS kicking in, but I am nowhere near breaking traction or skidding when it happens. I'm more curious than worried about the phenomenon.

Sidmariner, as mentioned that is more than likely the ABS initiating.. That lunge forward is the response time for the ABS to take control..

It sounds like you might be seeing an early apply.. If you are on a DRY, smooth road with NO pebbles or sand on it & you are applying very light braking it sounds like maybe a problem..

On the other hand IF there is anything on the road surface like sand, small pebbles, even sticks & your braking is moderately firm you are probably normal..

It doesn’t take much braking force to cause a problem if the bike is laid over in a corner or turn.. Not a good policy to use much brake while laid over..

I guess the thing to do is check your wheel sensor air gap (procedure is in the owners manual)..If that is OK then see your dealer & have them test ride it as their tecs know what a proper ABS initiation point is on your bike..

I have an 02 RT myself & the rear brake foot pedal is a bit touchy so if you are getting the problem only when using the rear brake pedal that might be your problem.. Be very gentle with that rear brake pedal.. Basically the front lever applies both front & rear brakes so you don’t even need the rear pedal..

If there are any tar snakes on the curve those can easily cause ABS initiation as you will get a wheel skip as you brake over those (especially leaned over)..

If still in doubt have it checked out by the dealer..

Twisty

There is a very real problem that is well documented with the early 02's before VIN # 87455 (last 5 digits). These were the first integrated ABS systems. The symptoms were that the rear brake would activate the abs when unloaded, like on a bumpy surface, and the front brake would activate too! Result - No brakes until the rear loaded again! "Sphincter puckering time" they called it !

Later 02's got a different rear master cyl and modulator, if I remember right.

ShovelStrokeEd

In short, no, you don't have a brake problem. The brakes appear to be functioning normally. (Stated without actually riding the bike).

I would say you do have a brake application problem, though.

This action is normal for an ABS system, we don't usually notice it on a car, where it happens as well, because the 3 other wheels continue to provide some braking force.

On to you application problem. If you are braking in a turn and you provide sufficient braking force to lose traction on either wheel, the brakes will momentarily release till the wheel speed sensors return to something like sync. I would suggest you just stop that practice. ABS will keep the wheels rolling (that's its job) but won't do a thing for you if you loose lateral traction and that could easily find you on your head.

Hi,

I pretty much agree with all that has been said here, but particuly the info re driving habits.

I remember when I took my advanced motorcycling test, all the instructors seemed to be going on about was being ON THE POWER when you lay a bike over. They made all of us pupils feel that their advice was mis-placed. UNTIL we started doing it.

WOW!! What a difference to my riding, you can leave most riders just be being in the right gear at the right time with power on. My BMW is a million miles quicker now than it was before. Not the bike you understand the rider has been 'fine tuned'

I'll give you a rough example.

We used to ride a set course and see how we felt and how it looked. Our instructors would tell us what we were doing wrong. The advice always SEEMED wrong. But we were told 'just do it'

After we got the routine of it right. We rode the same piece of road again.

Man, was that quicker. Now I like nothing more than a guy on a much quicker bike to follow me into a bend. 9 times out of 10 I will leave him, and because I am on the power on the way out I just continue to screw the power right up the straight, usually in third. My BMW has touched the ton in third, when I had a guy on a Fireblade following me. Irresponsible I know. But such good fun.

So I'm not trying to teach you how to ride. When I did my advanced riding I had been on bikes for 30 years. I thought I was a good rider. But I was not as good as I am now, and to feel the difference was excellent.

Hope this helps

Archived