My Torrey

ericfoerster

ericfoerster

Greg and I start out for Flagstaff, AZ on Wednesday morning at about 7:00am. The meeting point for us was in Roscoe, TX. I was a few minutes early as I watch Greg come rolling in as the sun had just started to pop over the horizon. Several gas stops later we found ourselves at the VLA’s.

ar1.jpg

We finally make Flagstaff and get a good sleep. The next morning we were off to meet Howard down in Wickenburg. We took 89 into Sedona and had an awesome ride in. We stopped for some coffee and pictures like all good tourists do while they are there.

ar2.jpg

I also had to stop outside Jerome at the overlook for a break. Greg was nice enough to take my picture since I rarely get to have any of myself.

ar3.jpg

Hwy 89a is one sweet road for those who have not ever had the pleasure of riding it. It is real tight and technical at the beginning and the end near Wickenburg. I tried to stay on Greg’s bumper through the tight stuff. I’ll swear it must have looked like Rossi and Biaggi out for a weekend ride. Greg had his RT cranked over so far I thought he was going to drag a bag. We had a blast!

We stopped at the overlook at the South end of the road for a quick photo.

ar4.jpg

We then hooked up with Howard for the run into Boulder City. As Greg said, “Howard hauls the mail”. We made real good time to BC with Howard up front.

The only hard part was crossing the dam as we got close to G’s home. The crushing emotions kind of came back and a few tears seemed to flow. As we passed the Boulder City sign I patted the memorial sticker on my helmet and tried to clear my head.

ar5.jpg

We arrive on time to Brother G’s house and the BBQ was in full swing. I scan the crowd and I spot a familiar face from the past. Phil and Carol are some of my favorite people on the board that I rarely get to see. Phil was there in person and Carol was there in spirit. It will be good to see them back on the road again soon.

Phil was there on a rented GT and he had a HUGE smile on his face. I am thinking that Phil has the bug again. Just look at this smile and tell me he is not thinking of blasting down some canyons.

ar6.jpg

It is also a good weekend when I get to see Wurty and Jerry. Both are great riders and their entertainment value is beyond reproach. I always seem to laugh when I am near these two guys. Jerry did a fine job leading us from Mesquite, NV into Torrey. I am unsure where that first set of canyons was after Mesquite, but it was a gas. Jerry, Sammy, and the crew, just blasted through them. It was another awesome photo op that was missed. About 8 or 9 bikes cranked over at a rapid speed was an awesome sight to see.

Jerry was a little upset with his friend Wurty. It seems Wurty won some kind of an award while we were in Mesquite. He sure seemed proud of his award. Way to go Wurty!

ar7.jpg

We pull into Torrey and this awesome sign is tied up to the steps out front.

ar8.jpg

This Torrey was also kind of special because my lovely wife decided that we actually should spend our anniversary together. This was the first one we have spent together in 7 years due to conflicting work schedules and motorcycle trips. It was awesome having her around for part of the event. While she is a city girl, she did enjoy seeing what makes me happy and meeting my friends.

ar9.jpg

On Saturday I took the wife and her friend for a ride in the car down 12. Near Boulder we observed an antelope cross under a fence and try to attack a cow. It was a strange sight to see the antelope trying to attack that poor cow.

arr1.jpg

We had a nice meal and an evening out at the Rim Rock. Good food and nice folks can be found there.

arr2.jpg

The Sunday departure date came much too soon. We loaded up and followed Howard out 95 to the Mokee Dugway. Greg and I were supposed to ride conservatively to save our tires since they both were looking a little rough. Somewhere near the Hite overlook the plans were thrown out the window and Rossi & Biaggi tendencies showed up again. Man, what a blast!

arr3.jpg

arr4.jpg

When I arrived home I was spent. The scooter was trashed and needed a bath. While washing the scooter I observed what appeared to be a thrashed rear tire on the FJR. I am most sure that G was smiling on us this past weekend as we tore up some pavement in his honor.

G, this one was for you buddy.

arr5.jpg

bakerzdosen

Great tale man. I sort of figured that you two wouldn't be able to rip up the tires even more on the way back. Glad you didn't have to use the backup plan Harley or whatever dealership for a tire stop.

Great pix too.

Thank you my son.

A great read and I thank Beaver for the Prep H.

I was just holding it until Vladtheimpaler need it.

Seems he stuck to the seat better when following us at high speeds when he had his trusty H cream.

Great story and pics as usual, Eric, and it was a treat to meet your wife - I'm just sorry it was so late in the day that I forgot all the stories I meant to tell her..... smirk.gif

PhillyFlash

Great tale, Eric. It was fun leading you down US 95, until, of course, you chose to show me that the RT is no match for the FJR. One minute you were behind me, the next minute I could see you two miles ahead curving through the canyon. What a great time. Can't wait to do it again. thumbsup.gif

Great tale, Eric. It was fun leading you down US 95, until, of course, you chose to show me that the RT is no match for the FJR. One minute you were behind me, the next minute I could see you two miles ahead curving through the canyon. What a great time. Can't wait to do it again. thumbsup.gif

I was wondering if you could really stay behind those RT's all weekend.

Great Tale...Nice Pix.

Next time let Dad ride his own bike.

Whip

It was good to see you again Eric. Looking forward to actually spending some time with you at the next Torrey. wave.gif

Eric, great as always to spend time with you. I still recall one late evening at the Chuckwagon, some years back, when several people were standing on the grassy area and you were telling cop stories. I hadn't laughed that hard in a long time.

I saw your wife, but didn't get much of a chance to speak with her very much. My loss, no doubt. How wonderful of her to share this Torrey with you.

It's good to know you've got a new FJR on order. It's a nice bike. I do miss my BMW for a variety of reasons, but the Yamaha has some strong points of its own.

As for your Dad's bike, I expected at any moment to see you wheelie past the CW yelling at the top of your voice, "It's a Rental!!!" lmao.gif

Tell your Dad not to worry. Truth be told, you were a good son and treated his bike with respect, rear tire and throttle cable notwithstanding. thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash
Tell your Dad not to worry. Truth be told, you were a good son and treated his bike with respect, rear tire and throttle cable notwithstanding. thumbsup.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Archived