IGNORED

The Honda and the School Bus

MrHondamatic

MrHondamatic

Last Friday I took a ride with a couple of friends. Near the end of the ride we were coming through Terre Haute IN about the time school was letting out. We were heading north on a somewhat divided 4 lane street, that would soon be a two lane non-divided road when the right lane ended just ahead. Knowing this, I pulled in to the left lane at the stop light previous to the lane narrowing. I didn't want to have to try and squeeze in at the last moment, so I planned ahead.

Obviously my thinking was not shared by the school bus driver who was a ways back in the right hand lane! After we go through the intersection the dividing lines quit and the road starts to narrow down. About then is when I see something large and yellow on my right, through the opening on my helmet. Yes, I should have been watching the mirrors a little closer, but I was watching the traffic ahead of me at the time.

Anyway, as I notice the bus, I turn my head toward it to see what is going on and lay on the horn. The driver and I made eye contact and I questioned her ability in a split second. Since the road was narrowing quickly, I nailed the throttle and shot ahead. It was that or get scrubbed by the bus and possibly be knocked into oncoming traffic or go under the wheels. There was a very low median to my left and a bus on the right that was close to the ditch, so options were limited. Since I always try to have an escape route, I had room between myself and the vehicle I was following to jump into.

As soon as I was in front I checked my mirror to see my buddy brake hard and let the bus squeeze in. I continued down the road at the posted limit of 30mph and was able to read the bus number in my mirror. Yes, the driver was reported to the school system, for whatever good it will do.

In talking with my buddy, I found out the bus had came past him at a good clip with diesel smoke pouring out the exhaust as she was hauling a$$. It's no wonder I didn't notice her sooner. He had wondered what the driver was up to at that point and was soon to find out.

I'm just glad I had a spot to head for. Had I been close to the vehicle ahead, things would not have been pretty.

wrestleantares

I'm not sure whether to applaud your quick reactions, or laugh because you almost got beaten to a merge by a school bus.

J/K - glad your okay and glad you reported them. I called about a Coca-Cola truck driver a few weeks ago. He tried to pass me on a long downhill straight - I know tey don't like to use their brakes going downhill like that, but he had no room to do it. I had to brake hard - I felt that was the best decision at that time to protect me, and the oncoming cars, as he needed to get back over quickly.

I don't trust a School Bus driver farther than I can throw one.

Around here they run stop signs on a regular basis, among other things.

Since I always try to have an escape route
And that's the key thing right there. Nicely handled.
Since I always try to have an escape route
And that's the key thing right there. Nicely handled.

+1

Ken nailed it. More proof that you have to drive like they are trying to kill you.

After reading the story and picturing myself in your shoes I looked at the video Tim linked. lmao.gif That video was what I needed tonight! Thanks Tim. thumbsup.gif

Archived