IGNORED

Wow! Loss of Concentration

Patallaire

Patallaire

Had 2 appointments 100 miles from my office, it was beautiful, low 80's and I thought I would ride. 60 miles into it, I woke up to the fact that a motorcycle was right on my rear and a car passed me on the right. I had no clue that either one of them was there, I was so focused on what I was going to accomplish with my soon to be clients, that I never got on the bike when I got on it. That woke me up a little, but not enough, when I came to my exit, it was a surprise as I thought I had one more to go, mind you, I make this trip 3 times a month, so it was not new territory for me.

Clearly I was not one with the bike or in the moment. The return trip was much better, jubilant in fact, I accomplished the client objectives, concentrated all the way home, anticipated cars moves, and yet I felt uneasy over the trip down there. My excuse to myself, which is just that, an excuse, is that I only rode 2000 miles last year and 160 before the trip this year, so I didn't have my mind in the game yet. A scary excuse! dopeslap.gif

wrestleantares

I'm a pastor and I ride solo to church every Sunday. It's a quiet ride with mostly empty roads at that time. I have to concentrate on concentrating.

If I don't I'll start thinking about my service, or who I need to visit, etc. This is partly because going to Church is slab.

Coming home I always take back roads so it makes me pay attention.

Pat,

We see a lot of that down here around bike week.

People who haven't been riding much, if at all, get on the road and display both a lack of concentration/one with the bikeness, and/or a huge dose of the Idon'tgiveadamnness.

Both of which test the skill and patience of those around them.

I try not to be around them. grin.gif

Your post said that the ride back was better because you accomplished your goals. What if you hadn't?

Do you think you still would've been in the right mental frame of mind?

I agree with you that what happens/ed off the bike should be left off the bike. I don't always do that as well as I should either.

Hope the rest of the season you're riding more and enjoying every mile of it. wave.gif

... and a car passed me on the right. I had no clue that either one of them was there, ...

overtaking from the right side? frown.gif I thought this is allowed only in ...UK! Dangerous thing, that´s my personal opinion and has nothing to do with your own concentration. Right side overtaking in Germany (where I live)is a serious road offense and it´s punished with driving license removal of one month minimum. I guess I make you laugh now...

wrestleantares

overtaking from the right side? frown.gif I thought this is allowed only in ...UK! Dangerous thing, that´s my personal opinion and has nothing to do with your own concentration. Right side overtaking in Germany (where I live)is a serious road offense and it´s punished with driving license removal of one month minimum. I guess I make you laugh now...

In the US it is an all too common occurrence. Especially if two lanes are merging into one. It can be like a drag race.

Quote:

... and a car passed me on the right. I had no clue that either one of them was there, ...

overtaking from the right side? I thought this is allowed only in ...UK! .

In Utah it is legal to pass on the right in a general purpose lane on the freeway. I just read the statute last week.

GoGo Gadget

In the US it is an all too common occurrence. Especially if two lanes are merging into one. It can be like a drag race.

That is because staying right except when passing is an all too rare occurence in the US. Not something that is stressed in what little driver training exist.

That is because staying right except when passing is an all too rare occurence in the US. Not something that is stressed in what little driver training exist.
Like he says, many drivers in the US do not "keep to the right" except when passing. So if you want to pass someone that is hogging the left lane, you have to pass on the right. I am always careful when I do it because people are less cautious when changing into the right lane and don't look for someone coming up from behind.

Car Talk had a song once that expressed it very well...

"Are you an idiot

or are you inconsiderate

or are you just insane

I really don't want to cause any pain

So get the hell out of the left lane."

It happens. The good thing is that you are aware that it happened and felt uneasy about it. Some people actually seek that state of Zen when riding thier bikes.

Archived