IGNORED

Deal or No Deal

iBMUR

So a guy walks into a BMW dealership and sees a used 2007 R1200RT that has a flashy little sign that says $2,000 off. Said guy asks client adviser, or something to that effect, what's the deal with this little gem? Son, that bike was used by the owner and it only has 600 miles on it. Not only that, but the Sales department has generously ponied up for the 600 mile service. What's not to like? Oh, if you want to finance this little gem, it can be yours as a "new" bike, since it has never been titled. How much will it cost to finance it, says guy? Well, it's only 9.55% through BMW.

Guy says this appears to be a fair deal and goes home and talks it over with his dog, Beemer. As guy is bending dog's ear over why he "needs" this exact bike, Beemer starts to wag his tail and then points to the BMW homepage on the internet, which is offering $500 of apparel / accessories for purchasing a "new" bike. Well, shoot. The client adviser forgot to mention that BMW was running a promotion. Maybe I should tell him, because he may not be aware of said promotion. Guy sends note to client adviser letting him know that BMW is offering $500. Client adviser is nice enough to reply and tell guy that the $500 was already factored into the $2,000 off. Guy sure was happy that client adviser chose not to disclose this little fact, however, it does leave guy scratching his head.dopeslap.gif

So the question I pose to you is.... Deal or No Deal??

Not proactively telling the customer that the factory incentives have already been factored in is (unfortunately) pretty much SOP with bike and auto dealers.

But that said, it still sounds like a pretty good deal - especially since they've already done the 600 mile service.

Firefight911

And he also failed to tell you about 4.9% financing!!!

Just bought a BMW and BMWNA is offering 4.9% across the line according to my sales guy.

Explore some more with questions!

And he also failed to tell you about 4.9% financing!!!

Just bought a BMW and BMWNA is offering 4.9% across the line according to my sales guy.

Explore some more with questions!

If I'm interpreting BMW's website correctly, the 4.9% offer is only valid selected models - and the RT isn't on the list.

Firefight911

Yep. That's what the website says alright. Thought it odd myself but he said that BMWNA were doing it.

One I bought was on the list so the accuracy of this information is subject to question. Just passing it on.

Not that it matters, but I suspect that's their way of saying it was a demo bike. Probably a good deal though. $2,000.00 off a bike with 600 miles and factory warranty can't be too bad, especially if it's what you want!!

So you're acctually only getting $1500 off since BMW is throwing in the $500 as an incentive. Still not a bad deal, but you might want to find out why the previous "Owner" had it for 600 miles and it was never titled/registered. Otherwise I would consider it a demo as well.

wave.gif

Doesn't 9.55% seem to be a bit high? I'd investigate financing elsewhere. I'd be curious as to why it wasn't titled.

Hypothetically speaking, the "owner" used the bike. For all the guy knows, the owner took it down to the gas station and back. The rest of the miles are probably a mystery, until the guy asks more probing questions.

Beemer, the dog, had a good observation. Now that we are rolling into the dog days of summer, there will be more promotions forthcoming. Additonally, it may be possible to get a "new" bike for $1k off. Now if you throw in the $500 BMW incentive, it becomes $1,500 off vs. the $2,000 off for the owner's "used" bike, alledgely.

Yes, the financing sounds high to guy, as well. Not to worry, Beemer has a stash burried in the backyard, so guy will just pay cash.

Again, I ask Deal or No Deal crazy.gif

Where do you live?

Regional prices differences can happen.

$2,000 is $2,000, no matter how you got there.

If it's the bike you want, buy it.

There may be other incentives down the road, but so what?

You're getting a bike to ride, not put it on a trailer and try to win bragging rights for lowest price.

I'd pay extra if I wanted the bike, to have it for riding now, as opposed to saving $500 somewhere down the road, and not riding in the meantime.

YMMV.

Lets_Play_Two
So you're acctually only getting $1500 off since BMW is throwing in the $500 as an incentive.

Doesn't that mean he is actually getting $2000 off?

Where do you live?

Regional prices differences can happen.

$2,000 is $2,000, no matter how you got there.

If it's the bike you want, buy it.

There may be other incentives down the road, but so what?

You're getting a bike to ride, not put it on a trailer and try to win bragging rights for lowest price.

I'd pay extra if I wanted the bike, to have it for riding now, as opposed to saving $500 somewhere down the road, and not riding in the meantime.

YMMV.

Guy was never trying to win any bragging rights (he only brags when he pays MORE than everyone else). Rather, he simply expected the client adviser to be more forthright. Remember, sign says $2k off and since it is technically "new", the incentive should have been on top of, not included in the $2k. When guy asked for clarification two days later, slick Nick refused to own up to his misrepresentation, but was quick to point out that he "allowed" guy to test ride the bike. What does one say to that... "I'm not worthy"!

There are several dealers within 100 miles of where I live, so I am ok paying more just to get a dealer that is going to treat their customers not as one and done, but rather as a lifetime customer.

Getting a bike is not a necessity for guy, it is more of a release and the fact that guy can be be part of an on-line community, like this one. It will all work out in the end.thumbsup.gif

I'd ask for the name of the previous untitled owner and hear what he has to say. Personally, I would negotiate a price on an untouched bike, but that's me. Others would buy it with the knowledge that they have a 3-yr warranty to sort out things.

wrestleantares

Guy was never trying to win any bragging rights (he only brags when he pays MORE than everyone else). Rather, he simply expected the client adviser to be more forthright. Remember, sign says $2k off and since it is technically "new", the incentive should have been on top of, not included in the $2k. When guy asked for clarification two days later, slick Nick refused to own up to his misrepresentation,

That's harsh. Putting a sign on it saying $2000 off isn't any different from putting a sign saying $1500 off plus $500 from BMW.

wbrissette
Buy it!!

I've seen pictures of your bike collection... Methinks you simply want to entice people into trying to buy more BMW bikes than you. grin.gif

However, that said. It's still a good deal if you want a BMW. Although I would check with your bank/credit union, anything over 7% seems a bit high to me.

Wayne

NO DEAL!!! Never buy a demo-racer, lmao.gif or a rental car or bike. The last bike I demoed the rev limiter was the shift indicator with no clutch (new KGT, btw).

Cheers

Steve

Firefight911
Buy it!!

I've seen pictures of your bike collection... Methinks you simply want to entice people into trying to buy more BMW bikes than you. grin.gif

However, that said. It's still a good deal if you want a BMW. Although I would check with your bank/credit union, anything over 7% seems a bit high to me.

Wayne

My last name is not Jones!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif And I ain't trying to keep up with anybody!! crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Guy was never trying to win any bragging rights (he only brags when he pays MORE than everyone else). Rather, he simply expected the client adviser to be more forthright. Remember, sign says $2k off and since it is technically "new", the incentive should have been on top of, not included in the $2k. When guy asked for clarification two days later, slick Nick refused to own up to his misrepresentation,

That's harsh. Putting a sign on it saying $2000 off isn't any different from putting a sign saying $1500 off plus $500 from BMW.

My math shows that it should have been $2,000 PLUS $500 for the free apparel / accessories (BMW's promotion- I didn't dream it up), which comes to $2,500, not $2,000. If you'll recall, they never presented it as $1,500 plus the $500, until I sent him an e-mail two days later asking about the $500 free apparel / accessories promotion. If he would have disclosed that little detail while looking at the bike, then it would have put it in a whole different light.

That's like you walking in and the salesman says that he will give you $1000 off the bike and you say deal. You come back in two days to pick up the bike along with BMW's $500 Apparel / Accessories certificate and they tell you that they baked the $500 into the price that they quoted to you. How happy would you be knowing that you were just hood-winked??

To take it step further, I asked him what happens when the promotion ends at the end of May. Would the price go to $1,500 off, since the BMW promotion would end. Answer: the plan is to sell it by the end of May. Translation: $2,000 off June 1, even without any BMW incentives. My point exactly. thumbsup.gif

I say go with your gut. It is apparent that you don't consider the salesman and/or dealer to be trustworthy. You mentioned other dealers within a reasonable riding distance.

Why do business with someone who you can not trust?

I say go with your gut. It is apparent that you don't consider the salesman and/or dealer to be trustworthy. You mentioned other dealers within a reasonable riding distance.

Why do business with someone who you can not trust?

Agree!

The reality is that I gave the salesman every chance to remedy the situation, but he must have assumed that I would pounce on the deal. I certainly don't begrudge him or anyone else from maximizing their operating margins, however, it makes it much easier when there is implicit trust.

Again, it's all goodsmirk.gif

This has me confused....salesman said bike is 2K off, bike is in fact 2K off and you don't like that.......plus the 600 miles service has been done (another $500 or more)....

Yeah, go buy one somewhere else for $1500 more (plus the 600 miles service)....that will teach em...... lmao.giflmao.gif

This has me confused....salesman said bike is 2K off, bike is in fact 2K off and you don't like that.......plus the 600 miles service has been done (another $500 or more)....

Yeah, go buy one somewhere else for $1500 more (plus the 600 miles service)....that will teach em...... lmao.giflmao.gif

So why hasn't it sold then, if it is such a great deal? confused.gif The fact of the matter is that you can potentially get $1k off on a bike with zero miles plus the $500 from BMW. That is $1,500 off versus $2,000 for a bike that is anyone's guess as to who demo'd it.

I don't know about you, but when your half way into a model year, I typically do not pay full retail. When does the new model year come out... Oct - Nov??

So it's not as simplistic as you make it out to be. That said, you clearly believe that this is a very good deal, which I is why I wanted to get input from the group... thanks. thumbsup.gif

I would like to suggest a slightly different track. (so what else is new?) but I digress.

In my way of thinking, none of it really matters. The question is, after all the negotiation, do you think, you are getting a fair/good/great deal? That is all that matters.

Having said that... no deal is done till the negotiation is over. If you want a tank bag ask for it. If you want another $500 say so. And do all that before you say "yes".

The idea is to decide what you think is your buying point. If you do not get it, walk away. It is just like bidding on eBay. Set a price- if you win, great, if you don't, well there will always be another deal.

Another point is that you need to be ready to win. If you set your buy point and get it... you must be ready to pull the trigger.

Couchrocket

Another think to ask about is when the bike "was put into service." If I remember correctly, that's when the warranty period starts w/ BMW, and not when it is registered. So, if "the Boss" has putted back and forth to work for 6 months on this bike.... well you get the picture. I remember one of our members here posting something exactly like this a couple of years ago, and how surprised he was that his warranty had expired 4 months earlier than he calculated. Worth asking about, anyway.

Lets_Play_Two
So why hasn't it sold then, if it is such a great deal? confused.gif The fact of the matter is that you can potentially get $1k off on a bike with zero miles plus the $500 from BMW. That is $1,500 off versus $2,000 for a bike that is anyone's guess as to who demo'd it!

The key to this is you say you can potentially get $1000 off on a new bike. I think you have more work to do then before you will be satisfied with a decision. Go get a deal on a new one and see what happens. If you can get $1500 off on a zero miles bike it seems you would pick that over the demo.

You are clearly looking to complain at this point, the salesman offered you a deal, you don't want it (you want a different deal) and now you want others to agree with you....it is a good deal and soon enough the bike will be sold, just not too you....I just don't see the point of publicly crying about it.....buy another one and go ride...

You are clearly looking to complain at this point, the salesman offered you a deal, you don't want it (you want a different deal) and now you want others to agree with you....it is a good deal and soon enough the bike will be sold, just not too you....I just don't see the point of publicly crying about it.....buy another one and go ride...

Actually, my priority was to see if you and others thought it was a good deal, even in light of the way it was communicated to me. You clearly believe it is a good deal, which is good to know. I look to this forum as a collective source of information and wisdom regarding BMW's. Just for the record, a different dealer thought the R1200R would be good alternative to the RT. It gives me another option, although I am somewhat partial to the RT.thumbsup.gif

If you WANT IT and can afford it, then buy it. It appears fair albeit a little deceiving on the discount. You are the one to determine if it is a good (to you) deal or not ... in fact, the dealer is allowing you the $500 for essentially cash rather than having to buy clothing / accessories!

Archived