IGNORED

Props to San Jose BMW!!!

Rocket_Cowboy

Rocket_Cowboy

First off, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum. Admins/mods, please move to a more appropriate forum if needed.

For those who don't know, I've been on an extended road trip for the past week ... still with four days to go. I had business in San Jose that I needed to attend to, which I normally ride out for, and with Torrey last weekend it just made sense to include that into my ride out to San Jose from Dallas. Two days to get to Torrey UT from Dallas (Thur/Fri - roughly 1300 miles), spend a day out there taking in the gorgeous mountain roads, then the fourth day going from Torrey to San Jose CA (Sun - roughly another 860 miles). Just before leaving Torrey, Limecreek noticed that my tires were spent ... into the wear bars spent (maybe 1mm to the bars on the front, there on the rear), but I still had 850 miles to go to get to San Jose, and then another 2200 miles to get back home.

Rode into SJC Sunday night, getting in around 9pm. SJC BMW is closed Sunday/Monday, so I had to wait until Tuesday to give them a buzz. Called Tuesday morning at 9am, immediately when they opened, and talked to Dan in service. Explained my problem, and Dan says "no problem, we're booked up but since you're traveling we'll work you in ... come on down, see you in a few." Sweet. I jump on the bike and make the run down there. The lifts are packed when I get there, Dan's busy with a customer, but Pete (service writer) steps in to take care of me. Explain the problem again ... "no problem, we'll hook you up". In the time it took for him to come get my VIN and mileage, they've already got a lift cleared making room for my bike. A quick search of the BMW service bulletin database brings up a problem ... there was a recall on select RTs, GSs, and one other model .. for faulty clutch components. Build dates were something like March 2006, and my bike fits right in the VIN range. My quick tire change just turned into a labor intensive recall action. A quick call back home to my normal shop, and everyone agrees that the recall is severe enough that it's better off not to risk it, and SJC will fit it in. Since it's going to take a good day to knock it out, SJC BMW hooks me up with a service loaner free of charge so I could make it to my appointments while I'm here in SJC.

As they worked on the bike, they were the most communicative service shop I've dealt with. Calling every few hours to let me know progress, and issues they encountered (they didn't expect the amount of wiring I had done in the tail for my autocom and powered accessories, that slowed them down some), and estimated completion time.

The bike finally got wrapped up Wednesday afternoon, and after two more calls to update me on status Pete calls to let me know the bike's done. Because of the time of day, I couldn't get out there before they closed, but picking it up Thursday morning was no problem.

Got out there this morning at 10am, the bike was exactly as expected ... new shoes mounted up, clutch, transmission, and tail section put back together ... all very professional. Because I was traveling from out of state and stuck in the area with dead tires, they worked me in and had my bike take up one of their lifts for two days straight, and they gave me one of their bikes to ride so that I wouldn't be inconvenienced. That kind of service is top notch in my book.

Now ... if anyone knows how to get the 12-16K miles out of a set of tires like I was accustomed to getting on my ST1300 ... please let me know. These tires were spent at about 8K miles ... half the service life I was expecting. Bridgestone BT020s if that's a useful data point.

Thank you SJC BMW!

Good to hear that there is a great dealer in my home town (even though I did not ride motorcycles while living there). Every time I've encountered problems on the road the BMW network has come through. The loaner is escpecially nice.

The Bridestone's are very soft tires. I only got about 5K on my Triumph Sprint ST. Hope the rest of your trip is uneventful.

bakerzdosen

Glad to hear there are dealers like that out there.

As to the tires...

For the r12rt, I'm not sure about what tires would give you that kind of range. Pilot Roads tend to get somewhere in the 10-12k range (obviously depending on how hard you ride them). I know people have reported ME880's getting pretty high mileage, but I remember reading that they don't make them in correct sizes for the r12's rear wheel.

I'm just not aware of a high mileage tire that fits. Sorry.

GoGo Gadget

Cool, I will be getting to San Jose right about due for my 6K service. I was wondering how hard it woul dbe to get squeezed in while traveling.

Gogo, give them a call and give them a rough ETA, they will take care of you, you can firm up your ETA as you get closer.

(408) 295 0205

thumbsup.gif

Now that's classic BMW service! I've heard from many folks that has gone away. Perhaps not!

Back in the day I was headed to a BMWMOA national rally. I forget where it was but I was just south of Ocala headed north and lost my clutch. At that time BMW of Daytona was owned by the Katz family. Not knowing what to do I called them and Jim Katz answered the phone. I told him what happened. He asked me where I was and an hour or so later showed up with his truck. We loaded the RS up and headed back to Daytona where Jim and Joe his dad went to work. Replaced my clutch and had me back on the road in no time. Plus, did not ask me for any money. They told me to get back on the road, have fun at the rally, and send us a check when you get home. That too is old time BMW service.

Nice to hear my purchase of Nubb hopefully, will be a total BMW experience.

Keep it up SJC!! Good job!!! clap.gif

ISYHTRAH

Well done to San Jose. Your story, though, does make me wonder why your home dealer delivered the bike to you in the first place without having noted the clutch issue and taken care of it. The affected bikes were not supposed to have been delivered to customers, as I understand it. Checking the VIN seems pretty basic to me.

Rocket_Cowboy
For the r12rt, I'm not sure about what tires would give you that kind of range. Pilot Roads tend to get somewhere in the 10-12k range (obviously depending on how hard you ride them). I know people have reported ME880's getting pretty high mileage, but I remember reading that they don't make them in correct sizes for the r12's rear wheel.

That's my understanding as well ... Metzler either doesn't make or doesn't import the proper sized ME880 for the R12RT's rear wheel. I'll probably try to the Pilot Roads after I burn through these Z6's. So far I'm really liking the Z6s for handling and feel, but I've only got roughly 1000 miles on them so far.

Thanks for the feedback on high mileage tires!

Rocket_Cowboy
Gogo, give them a call and give them a rough ETA, they will take care of you, you can firm up your ETA as you get closer.

(408) 295 0205

thumbsup.gif

Agreed. They fit me in for tires because I was stranded while traveling ... I couldn't get home with the rubber I had on the bike. For something like a scheduled 6K service, it would probably be best to call them ahead of time to schedule the visit.

I'm going to need to schedule an 18K service in July somewhere on the East coast myself (12K service is next week). Anyone know any good BMW dealerships around North Carolina/Pennsylvania?

Rocket_Cowboy
Well done to San Jose. Your story, though, does make me wonder why your home dealer delivered the bike to you in the first place without having noted the clutch issue and taken care of it. The affected bikes were not supposed to have been delivered to customers, as I understand it. Checking the VIN seems pretty basic to me.

Agreed. The bike was a trade from another dealership, so there was some initial confusion as to whether the original dealer or my selling dealer did the service. I have reason to believe the work was done before delivery, but that the warranty paperwork was never filed with BMW. Now I know for sure that the work has been done.

GoGo Gadget

(408) 295 0205

thumbsup.gif

That is my plan. I will be calling them this coming week and heading out Jun 2nd from the east coast. I was hoping they would allow me a flexible arrival date. If not, my other plan was to call several dealers and schedule a different date at each dealer, then ride to the one that fits my eventual ETA. grin.gif

GoGo Gadget
I'm going to need to schedule an 18K service in July somewhere on the East coast myself (12K service is next week). Anyone know any good BMW dealerships around North Carolina/Pennsylvania?

Mortons BMW in Fredricksburg, VA http://www.mortonsbmw.com/

That is where I get my service. The owner is a great guy.

Bob's BMW between DC and Baltimore. http://bobsbmw.com/

I think folks have been pleased with them.

Trans-Am Cycles near Lancaster PA is where I bought my current RT. http://www.trans-amcycles.com/ I have not had service there, but I have friends who have had their UJM's serviced there and have been pleased. It is a BMW/Kawi/Suzuki dealer.

If you are coming up the BRP, there is a Hammersley BMW in Lynchburg VA. I think it is a car and bike place. I have never dealt with them before tho. If you need anything while in VA, give me a shout.

I will be in Granbury for a few days visiting Mom, which DFW area BMW dealer would you recommend if I need something?

Go Go, I just fowarded this thread to San Jose's service dept., also talked to them on the phone and they will take care of you when you arrive, call for a rough arrival date, but they will take care of you ASAP. thumbsup.gif

Rocket_Cowboy
I will be in Granbury for a few days visiting Mom, which DFW area BMW dealer would you recommend if I need something?

I'm a fan of BMW of North Dallas, but that's an incredible drive from Granbury. I have heard good things about the Fort Worth dealership, which will be closer to you.

I have heard good things about the Fort Worth dealership, which will be closer to you.

thumbsup.gif on the BMW of Fort Worth recommendation.

817-595-0000

Archived