IGNORED

R1200RT, Issues

Axe

After a 400 mile ride last Tuesday I had not even looked at the RT until this afternoon when I decided to take an after dinner spin. Walk out in the garage and, What the heck is that mess on the floor under my RT? Emmm Transmission fluid. Yep she is leaking from somewhere a nice gooey puddle about 4 inches in diamiter. 06 with 2300 miles I have had since early March. Not real happy and I will be on the phone to my favorite BMW Dealer at 9:00 in the AM. Ain't this just a great thing to have happen on Memorial Day Weekend Eve?

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Please post what you find out about the leak.

I keep thinking about getting a new RT. Then I read stories like yours and decide otherwise. I guess any bike, regardless of the manufacturer, can have problems. However, you pay really big bucks for a BMW on the assumption it will be dependable.

Good luck....

p_interceptor

2005 R1200RT, 29100 miles no problems, just regular service and go, could not be happier with mine.

AdventurePoser
Then I read stories like yours and decide otherwise. I guess any bike, regardless of the manufacturer, can have problems. However, you pay really big bucks for a BMW on the assumption it will be dependable.

Good luck....

02 R1150RT, 96,000 miles on it and not one problem. Now own a trouble free R1200RT. Couldn't be happier... thumbsup.gif

Same went for my 96 R1100GS and my 98 K1200RS....

Cheers,

Steve

ps-Sorry for the hijack. Hope the leak gets fixed asap.

Sometimes BMWs disappoint. That is inevitable. A small minority of owners seem to have nothing but trouble, and some well publicized defects on some models have generated a lot of impatience and anger. I don't minimize those things. However, I have been buying BMWs since the sixties and the amount of money I have spent on repairs, as opposed to routine maintenance and accessories, is negligible. I rode an R69S for ten years and over 100K miles, and in that interval I fixed one broken oil ring. On a '77 airhead, I got 55,000 miles before I traded, and never put a wrench on it except for maintenance. An'84 R100 RT followed; my brother is still riding that one. Next came a series of K-bikes that cost a bloody fortune for tuneups and spline lubes, etc, but only one starter in the way of repairs. So far on my '05 R12RT, not so much as a hiccup. I now have my brother's old R69S parked alongside my R12RT. It is entering its fifth decade and almost everything on it is original. I would ride it almost anywhere.

All things considered, I would say they are damn good.

That really sucks! Hope it's nothing major. Let us know what you find out & how the dealer takes care of it. On the lighter side of things, if you don't have a back-up ride at least you can watch the Indy 500...

wave.gif

Archived