IGNORED

100 miles of curvey roads with a new F800ST

Shelley

Here are a few pictures of last weekends trip to Alpine via the southern route from Morenci, Az. on Hwy-191.

Angie & I wanted to go to Torrey but she purchased a new BMW F800ST and needed to do the 600 mile break right! So what rode in Az has the most curves? Well, that's the Devils Hwy-191 (use to be hwy-666) with a 100 miles of mountian curves! clap.gif

We planned to stay the night in Alpine at the Sportsman Lodge then Saturday head to the Heber Rally and say hi to the rest of our RimRider club members.

Here is Tony, Walo, Angie, Carol, KC at the open pit mine in Morenci, Az.

5_Morenci_Crew.jpg

Open pit mine in Morencie, Az.

1_OpenPit-Morenci_1.jpg

Angie B and her new BMW F800ST bike. She can’t wait to ride the 100 miles of curves ahead on hwy-191, aka “The Devils Hwy” it’s use to be Hwy-666!

7_Angie-Walo-Morenci.jpg

Walo and I pose for a snapshot at the mine…

3_Walo-Shelley-Morenci.jpg

Carol and KC stand still long enough to pose for the camera… Also notice all the huge rain clouds in the background…

4_Carol-KC-Morenci.jpg

This is the second stop to put on warmer gear, (read electric jackets!) as the first stop it was pouring rain. We had to ride several miles on the slow mountain road in pouring rain with only our mesh jackets proctecting us, (yeah right) until we found a place to pull over to get the rain gear on. Needless to say we were already soaked. We didn’t want to remove any gear and get soaked even more, so we just pulled our rain suits on and rode on. Now as we climb even higher in elevation the temps are dropping. Angie’s temp readout is now at 46 degrees. Brrrrr! So now we needed to find another place to pull off and get the electric jackets on and get warmed up!!!

10RainStop1-Hwy191.jpg

The rain was much lighter here at this stop in the forest. However, the thunder & lighting were very heavy and really made us hurry up and get back on the road…

11RainStop3-Hwy191.jpg

We finally get to Hannagan Meadows where we stop to go in and get warm! They had the fireplace stoked and welcome us… We had coffee & hot choc to help with the warming process. Tony had to buy a tourist sweat shirt as his BMW Air Jacket was just working all to well…

11A_Hannagan_Meadows.jpg

It sure felt good to arrive at the Sportsmans Lodge in Alpine so we could get out of are wet gear and get warm! Now are thoughts are what’s for dinner?

12aAlpine_Gang.jpg

Of course Taos & Custer have to get in on the action…I think they want fresh Trout for dinner.

13aTaos-Custer_Alpine.jpg

It’s time to head for dinner…

12Alpine-Warm-Dry.jpg

It was a very nice view from our motel as everything was green and the air was so fresh!

13Alpine-Warm-Dry1.jpg

The next day (Saturday) was warm at first until we ran into more rain on are way to the Heber Rally…however, this time Angie stopped the group just before we hit the heavy hail & rain down pour. It only lasted for about a mile but we would’ve be cold and wet once again for the remained of the trip!

We stopped first to have lunch in Heber at the Red Onion.

13B_Heber_RedOnion.jpg

As we rode into the Heber Rally everyone was under cover as it had just finished raining. Once we were parked and off the bikes everyone came out from every direction to say hello and check out Angie B’s new bike. I think she answered questions for a good hour or so…

14Heber_rally.jpg

I wish we could’ve gotten a few more pictures of the rest of the gang as in the last photo were just few of the many RimRiders that were there! Hey notice the guy in the back on left side in the red jacket? Only the ol'timers on this site will remember him. That's LUCKY from Ca. He use to post here all the time. But, after his m/c accident I guess his just stopped. Maybe now that he's back on the bike he'll start posting again. Welcome back LUCKY! thumbsup.gif

15RimRiderGang-HeberRally.jpg

We headed for home a few hours later and hit rain once more around Mt Ord. We didn’t have any rain gear on but we knew just a few miles up ahead, the temps would be hitting around 100 degrees then these wet clothes would OH SO GOOD!

We’re going to have to do Hwy 191 again in the near future and stay at the Sportsmans Lodge. Tom is the owner and also has two BMW’s. He welcomes us to com’on up and enjoy all the area has to offer!

Les is more

Hey! Nice bike Angie!! Even nicer report! Thanks, Shelley. You guys have some beautiful country out there. It's nice to see Lucky's face show up again too!

Hey! Nice bike Angie!! Even nicer report! Thanks, Shelley. You guys have some beautiful country out there. It's nice to see Lucky's face show up again too!

So you remember Lucky? Yup, he's a blast from the past... I didn't get to talk to him for very long as folks were just flocking to Angie'sbike. The lil' F800ST was a STAR! Anyway I told him he needed to start posting again so maybe he will.

Sorry we miss Torrey frown.gif but this was a good run of 600 miles and I felt pretty good! Dr. says all is good, come back in 6 months. He gave me two pages of exercises to do. Hell, I might as well join a gym if I'm going to do all those listed. The dr. says it will re-program the brain (see I do have one... dopeslap.gif) and make my dizziness go away! So onward with the exercise...then start planning for the big Colo. Vacation ride in July with a stop in Paonia! Hope to see you and the ST.com gang there! thumbsup.gif Shelley

So you remember Lucky? Yup, he's a blast from the past... I didn't get to talk to him for very long as folks were just flocking to Angie'sbike. The lil' F800ST was a STAR! Anyway I told him he needed to start posting again so maybe he will.

Sorry we miss Torrey frown.gif but this was a good run of 600 miles and I felt pretty good! Dr. says all is good, come back in 6 months. He gave me two pages of exercises to do. Hell, I might as well join a gym if I'm going to do all those listed. The dr. says it will re-program the brain (see I do have one... dopeslap.gif) and make my dizziness go away! So onward with the exercise...then start planning for the big Colo. Vacation ride in July with a stop in Paonia! Hope to see you and the ST.com gang there! thumbsup.gif Shelley

Hi Shelley,

Nice photos, beautiful report.

Matt and I had a blast too at the Road Runner Rally. I attach a pic of our bikes there. Briefly, a guy showed up on an F800ST in the same blue as Angie's, but other than that, I was the ONLY F800 at the rally, and while you say "folks were just flocking to Angie's bike. The lil' F800ST was a STAR!" mine got the same reception by over 50 and won the Goofy Getup award as Most Unique Bike there! The plaque is on the wall in my garage!

Tweety1, aka Jordan

864936-IMG_0246-copy-copy-small-sm.thumb.jpg.7606f9b9df4a157bbf9a66c21482301b.jpg

Nice report and pics Shelly. Congrats on your sweet lookin new hot rod Angie. Looking forward to seeing you next fall. wave.gif

Archived