IGNORED

Bmweerman's Wednesday

bmweerman

Wednesday AM

Well, it's been raining and/or cloudy most of today. I love this kind of weather so it was nice to walk out to this morning.

Cameron is being terribly ornery today. They are gradually reducing his sedation and thus, he is "voicing" his disgust for being where he is, what he's going through, etc. He gets more frustrated by the inability to really communicate with anyone. As far as his physical situation, it's pretty much the same as last night. Still battling the infection with antibiotics and suctioning, still a lot of discomfort on his right side and generally has problems being comfortable.

The speech therapist came in today to evaluate his swallowing abilities to see if they could start feeding him "real" food. Unfortunately, the muscles in his throat are so messed up from all the tubes and lack of use, he couldn't swallow properly and it went down his airway. When that happens it comes out from around the trach fixture. It was an odd thing to see. The stuff was colored blue to make it visible when it does that . So, that means she'll be back in a few days to try again. It was an interesting process.

I'm almost through with lunch so will be going back up to see how he's doing and hang with him. I have a feeling things are going to get more difficult from here on, at least that's how he'll be.

Wednesday PM

It's been a busy day. Cameron remained fairly lusive most of the day, dozing off briefly and then groggily awake for a few minutes. As I mentioned this morning, he got a little ornery at times, complaining about his dicomforts and being impatient at his situation. The rest of the time, he was in good spirits, all things considered.

The speech pathologist noted his inability to lift or turn his head, in addition to his swallowing difficulty and told me it may take a little longer to get him eating regularly. She's going to check him again on Saturday.

That information appears to have jarred Cameron into action. The past few hours he has given himself quite a workout, testing his strength in different ways and stretching and shifting his weight. I mentioned this to his nurse and she has ordered physical therapy to come in and start working with him. He wants to work on it so they're ready to oblige him. They should be starting tomorrow.

Unfortunately, some of his activity stressed his chest and he started having more pain. I apparently misunderstood the details of his rib injuries. I think they call it flail chest and so there were ribs broken on both sides, not just the right. After the meds kicked in he settled down and went to sleep. We'll see how he does tomorrow with the therapist.

I took the opportunity to leave early as my knee was acting up from standing by his bed so much today. I'm glad I brought the heating pad. Time for some moist heat and a late dinner.

I can't even imagine what this is like for you, he is truly blessed to have such a supportive partner by his side.

Rib injuries suck, no two ways about it....mine took months to heal and were not nearly as bad. Tell him to take it one day at a time and not get to ahead of himself, time takes time.....

I will be thinking of you both.

What Nick said.

Cameron is a lucky man despite his misfortune on the bike, in having you to care for him.

This is a very difficult time for both of you. I wish you both the best.

Stan Walker

I'll be on the road for the next 12 days, and my laptop is staying home.

I'll be thinking about you two as I ride, lots.

I'm expecting good news from you when I returm!!!

Stan

So, he's fighting back. That's a GOOD thing. thumbsup.gif

I don't know Cameron, but I know me, & I'd be reacting the same way.

If he has the strength to complain, he has the strength to get better.

I know this whole ordeal his very hard on you but, hang tough.

Every day behind you means a better day in front of you.

Thanks for the update.

FYI...flail chest. That's when a rib (or several) get broken in two places. It forms a section of chest that's no longer moving with the rest of the chest, in fact it moves opposite. (Take a deep breath, that section moves INwards, breathe out, and it moves OUTwards). Quite painful. Note: Since he's on a breathing machine, you shouldn't see this type of "backwards" motion.

Still rooting for you. Sounds like he's getting his "attitude" back. Excellent sign!

Yes! Bitching and complaining are an important part of the healing process -- let's us know he's not pleased with how he's feeling and is ready to start getting better!

Hang in there -- it's going to be a long haul!

And always, best wishes.

mY pRAYERS go out to both of you as you pile thru all this...it won't be easy - but with positive attitude and a gentle healing time - he'll be back riding and you will get your real husband back.

You - my dear - are polishing your halo..!

Good on'ya

Blessings all over you today - thumbsup.gif:

Firefight911
So, he's fighting back. That's a GOOD thing. thumbsup.gif

I don't know Cameron, but I know me, & I'd be reacting the same way.

If he has the strength to complain, he has the strength to get better.

I know this whole ordeal his very hard on you but, hang tough.

Every day behind you means a better day in front of you.

+1

skinny_tom (aka boney)

You - my dear - are polishing your halo..!

Dude, by now it's gotta look like the Audi symbol, or the Olympic Rings above her head!

The Whip's are sending all the healing energy we can spare your way.

Please continue to update us.

Thanks for being so strong.

Whip

Just wanted you to know, Patti, I am still following your plight. I did get your PM and I appreciated your reply. These ordeals have got to be nightmarish to get through. My son, who is 22, has a friend who had a horrible motorcycle accident last weekend and is still in ICU and will be for some time. Two broken clavicals, broken ribs both sides, collapsed lungs, on and on and on. He has minimal movement from the neck down, as he also had several broken vertebra, but they are hopeful that he will regain some of that. Sadly, this morning, he had to have a portion of his right leg removed. Just too much damage. He was on an exit ramp and somehow got into the guard rail. He is a committed christian so I know that drinking was not the issued, not sure how fast he was driving, how experienced he was, or if he, too, just lulled himself to sleep while riding. His family was in Colorado and my son has been in and out, as ICU allows. Now that his family has arrived, his spirits are up a bit. Like I said before, it is a dangerous thing we do, and it only takes a split-second; and life changes dramatically. I, too think it is a good sign that Cameron is "fighting back" in a new way now. It is that survival instinct and men are so much stronger, for the most part, they tend to have more of that born in them. Determination is a big part of it, as well, and it sounds like he has plenty of that. I hope the next attempt at eating/feeding goes better for him.

Good luck with your sore knee and don't forget to take care of yourself too. I will be keeping an eye on this thread daily. God bless you both.

Archived