IGNORED

Southern NH, especially Harrisville

bmw_keith

Last sunday I realized I hadn't been on a decent ride since the NE techday. Even though it was raining, I was going out. Since getting caught in the rain from Springfield, MA to Worcester, MA riding back from techday, the rain hasn't bothered me too much.

Started around 10:30am with it raining steadily:

CIMG5803.jpg

I did my original map in Streets&Maps since I'm still getting used to MapSource.

sm_route.jpg

The goal was to start in Dunstable, MA and ride up to Keene, NH down to Montague, MA and back. Since I had the new Zumo to help me navigate, my route didn't exactly follow that route. Garmin needs to OEM streets&maps - such a better interface.

route.jpg

Every stream looked like this:

CIMG5813.jpg

This is what I was waiting for:

CIMG5811.jpg

twisty and rainy..

CIMG5820.jpg

everything has gone green in the last few weeks:

CIMG5810.jpg

hmm, need to turn left on cherry hill rd.

CIMG5817.jpg

As someone else noted, Zumo doesn't exactly have an "RT" road filter:

CIMG5815.jpg

Plenty of lakes. Not overdeveloped:

CIMG5821.jpg

I pulled into Harrisville ( http://www.keenenh.com/harrisville/ ) " a prototype of a rural New England factory village, is now a historic district." Great old brick buildings:

CIMG5827.jpg

CIMG5829.jpg

CIMG5827.jpg

CIMG5838.jpg

CIMG5837.jpg

CIMG5834.jpg

While I was in the General Store eating lunch a gentleman came up to me - "Can I ask you a question?" Sure, I said. He wanted to know if I could see the Zumo over the BMW Tankbag. We chatted about that. He has an older RT, has ridden cross country a few times and just bought a new 2007 RT. His name was Tom and he's the secretary of the Granite State BMW Riders ( http://www.gsbmwr.org/ ). Nice guy.

On the way to Keene I saw A sign for Otter Brook Dam, so that sounded like fun.

CIMG5861.jpg

CIMG5858.jpg

I really wanted to take the RT out there but I didn't know if I could make the u-turn. I also noticed that this dam is exactly like the Barre Falls Dam I visited last year. ( http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post743755)Both built by the Army Corp of Engineers.

CIMG5860.jpg

CIMG5866.jpg

CIMG5856.jpg

CIMG5867.jpg

Read the sign. Notice the ladder over to the left.

CIMG5865.jpg

Train station in the middle of nowhere. As I turned the corner the Zumo showed "abandoned railroad grade" or something similar. Nice.

CIMG5845.jpg

A good ride through the woods. The Zumo worked great. I need to remember to go easy on the throttle when on mud or you will fishtail.

I should have taken a picture of the "Moose Crossing" sign (yes, I was in NH) or maybe the gun shop where you can shoot machine guns. Plenty of things to find in the woods of NH. Live free or Die...

CIMG5815.jpg

25 my butt! That's the best road you didn't go down all day.

Glad the weather cleared for you. Beautiful country, thanks for showing us.

Archived