IGNORED

oooch, how about this crash.

motorman587

In regard to the "truck page", is that common? Between all the go-fast bikes, cars and oversize trucks I'll think I'll never visit that area.

In regard to the "truck page", is that common? Between all the go-fast bikes, cars and oversize trucks I'll think I'll never visit that area.
It's a bit common, but the old adage applies, never ride faster than you can stop in the distance you can see.

But IMHO your overall point is valid. I think beyond riding TOD once in your life as sort of a right of passage, it's highly over rated. There are lots of as good or even better roads elsewhere, even in that general area, without a lot of the pitfalls of the Dragon.

wrestleantares

TOD is a great road. It is not however, a great ride most of the time (inseason).

Joe Frickin' Friday

Been through the gap maybe a couple dozen times now; only twice have I ever seen a semi going through there.

It would not surprise me if some of the semi drivers have no idea what they're getting into. The sign at either end says, among other things, "ALTERNATE ROUTE ADVISED," but that doesn't really describe it properly. For the life of me, I can't understand why semis aren't explicitly forbidden from running the gap; this is something they're finally considering, and IMHO it's long overdue.

You can do everything right, ride at your level, wear all the safety gear but when Joe Rocket comes around a bend at mach II racing his buddy and he doesn't make it causing him to head-on you at 75-100 mph you are S*** Out of Luck!

I think I'll ride somewhere with less testosterone in the air.

Bill_Walker
It would not surprise me if some of the semi drivers have no idea what they're getting into. The sign at either end says, among other things, "ALTERNATE ROUTE ADVISED," but that doesn't really describe it properly. For the life of me, I can't understand why semis aren't explicitly forbidden from running the gap; this is something they're finally considering, and IMHO it's long overdue.

At least the signs in CA get a little bit more explicit, saying something like "Semis over X feet kingpin-to-rear-axle not advised". It's still "not advised" rather than "prohibited", but at least it gives 'em a clue what ain't gonna fit. Of course, the signs are usually posted where there's no place to turn a semi around...

TOD is a great road. It is not however, a great ride most of the time (inseason).
\

I had the opportunity to ride it on the way to the MOA rally in Morganford NC. The Tennessee DOT was doing lots of work on the interstate, and somehow my detour took me to Deals Gap. wink.gif

We (my daughter riding pillion) arrived after the sun had slipped behind the hills and trees on the western horizon, but well before dark. Clear shadowless flat light, and the only traffic was a Dodge Neon who pulled into the first turnout -- I hope he enjoyed the ride at his own pace. Ours was just a bit more rapid. It was so absolutely magical that I'm afraid to go back in the crisp daylight with all the crowds!

Still, we'll be going to the RA rally at the Biltmore and my wife hasn't done the Dragon yet.

Been through the gap maybe a couple dozen times now; only twice have I ever seen a semi going through there.

051807.jpg

Archived