IGNORED

Centech or Blue Sea Fuse Block

Michael_T

O-Gods of all Electric,

What are the pros and cons to either of these products or is it just a question of location? I have a 02 1150RT so I would be interested in my options.

thx

michael

Firefight911

Both are excellent products but the Centech is WAY smaller and, therefore, easier to place in small places.

Jimtrvl917

I was thinking about a fuse block as well. Do you wire the fuse block directly to the battery, or do you pull the power off the main fuse block? I have a 1997 R1100RT...

Firefight911

Wire directly off the battery and run it through an automotive power relay off of a switched source.

I have a 04 1150RT and have also been wanting to install a fuse block somewhere. I'm not very savvy on this wiring business, but if I understand this correctly, the main power feed comes from the battery directly to a relay (larger size wire) and continues from there to the fuseblock. A small wire comes into the relay from another source on the bike that provides power only when the key in on. Apparently when the key is on, this "turns on the switch" in the relay and makes the connection from battery to fuseblock complete. Is that about right?

If so, then where would you recommend I go for a switched source connection for the relay? Where would I tie into it?

Ron

Firefight911

You are correct in how the relay works.

Many people hook into the parking lamp or running lamp. Another option would be to install a manual switch.

Call Centec and ask them about their relays. I have a Centec with their heavy duty 60A relay and an inline 40A fuse prior to their fuse block. Works fine.

Using plans off of this site, I mounted the fuse block on a piece of sheet metal placed on the frame member under the left side plastic triangle. Search this site for this plan as I don't recall the specific file for it.

Francis

I have a 04 1150RT and have also been wanting to install a fuse block somewhere. I'm not very savvy on this wiring business, but if I understand this correctly, the main power feed comes from the battery directly to a relay (larger size wire) and continues from there to the fuseblock. A small wire comes into the relay from another source on the bike that provides power only when the key in on. Apparently when the key is on, this "turns on the switch" in the relay and makes the connection from battery to fuseblock complete. Is that about right?

If so, then where would you recommend I go for a switched source connection for the relay? Where would I tie into it?

Ron

just the questions I wanted to ask for my 06 RT.

Being even more ignorant abut wiring are you saying that I have to buy the centech and something else?

For wiring I'm thinking that the GPS harness that I hooked to the zumo goes on/off with the key. Would that work?

Anyone who has done this want to put out a parts list (if there is something else) and maybe some pics please?

I knew I should have paid more attention during techday wiring class.

Using plans off of this site, I mounted the fuse block on a piece of sheet metal placed on the frame member under the left side plastic triangle. Search this site for this plan as I don't recall the specific file for it.

Francis

+1 I've attached a photo of mine. It's unswitched (no relay to Centech), but I tied my aux lighting relay switches to the rear tail light. wave.gif

864314-fuse0005s.jpg.5a445fbf8e749e4042880d0a0a6f8b11.jpg

Another happy Eastern Beaver customer here. I purchased the Centech AP-1 with the relay-equipped harness. Connect the harness to your battery terminals, connect the relay trigger wire to a switched circuit (EB supplied the Posi-Tap for that connection) and you're good to go.

As mentioned the Centech is smaller, but the Blue Sea has more individual circuits. Some of the fuse positions on the Centech are shared. The Blue Sea is a bit more weather resistant as it comes from the marine world. But it's size definitely is a disadvantage.

I'd go with Blue Sea just because it sounds cooler. grin.gif

They will both get it done for you, however the Blue Sea is a little bit more robust than the Centech. I use the Centech in my tank bag and the Blue Sea is under my rear seat.

bakerzdosen

Well, here's my take:

I liked the Blue Sea better for all the obvious reasons (the ones Greg listed anyway), so I bought it. However, it does indeed take up too much space for me (or rather for my ST). So, if someone wants a new Blue Sea (5025), let me know. I'll be getting a Centech next week or so.

I put a Blue Seas block on my '02 RT, mounted with velcro on the cross-plate in the tail section.

But, due to the size of it, & space limitations on the GS, I now have a Centech.

Get an Add-A-Circuit from NAPA for your switched power connection.

Here's the diagram I used for both. I'd like to give credit for it, but I don't remember whose it is. My apologies.

113752231-L.jpg

Take a look at the Painless 7-circuit fuse block from Summit Racing. It has comes with a relay that controls 3 of the circuits.Also comes with a 30amp. circuit breaker for your main power protection. Available with a weatherproof cover.

markgoodrich

I've mentioned this before, but take a look at this link. It gives step by step instructions on how to make your own fused, relayed power strip, for just a few bucks worth of Radio Shack parts, even includes the part numbers. A minor advantage to this design is that you can tuck the relay in one place, the strip in another.

You can, while you're at the Shack, buy a plastic box to fit the metal strip into, drill a couple holes at each end for the wires, and have it weather-protected...mount the strip on the inside of the TOP, not down inside, the box, and you'll be able to work with it more easily.

You can also buy a second metal strip to make a common ground block, so that you have a good, clean ground for all your electrics without adding everything to the battery ground post...just one wire to the post, and again, you can tuck the little strip somewhere very easily.

Hey, even I made one of these and not a bit of the smoke came out of the FJR's wiring system. On the other hand, I was lazy with the RT, and bought a pre-made unit at the local dealership...had I thought it through, I would've made one of these...more connections, and again, the tucking away is more flexible.

http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=25

Jim VonBaden
I put a Blue Seas block on my '02 RT, mounted with velcro on the cross-plate in the tail section.

But, due to the size of it, & space limitations on the GS, I now have a Centech.

Get an Add-A-Circuit from NAPA for your switched power connection.

Here's the diagram I used for both. I'd like to give credit for it, but I don't remember whose it is. My apologies.

113752231-L.jpg

Thanks, that was mine, and I used it for my Blue Seas, then changed over to a Centech to save room!

01-Fuse-block-whole-strappe.jpg

Jims-wiring2.jpg

Jim cool.gif

PS Ken H has a nicer one though!

Archived