IGNORED

Stiff neck

gasser

Uh, okay. I'll admit this is a dumb post, but gotta ask it. For the past three decades, I have been riding bikes with a different riding position than my R12RT--Hondas, Harleys, et al--mostly HD. Now that I have been on my BMW for the past nine months I still get a stiff neck after about an hour from the more upright riding position. A dealer told me it just took getting used to. Any thoughts or suggestions? lurker.gif

I would think about maybe some bar backs or a different windshield would help.

The bar backs would allow you to sit more upright, which would keep you from "bulling" your neck up.

The windshield would help keep the air off the front of your helmet, and should keep the wind from pushing your head back.

Unfortunaly, trial end error for comfort is expensive.

Bheckel169

I think the barbacks comment is spot on. You didn't mention your height or arm length, but at 5'11 and normal arm length, I had the same problem with stiff neck and shoulder pain on my 06 1200 RT. Bought the Touratech risers which bring the grips up and toward me a little, it made all the difference and my stiffness disappeared.

Bruce

"Bought the Touratech risers which bring the grips up and toward me a little, it made all the difference and my stiffness disappeared.

Bruce"

Do you find the Touratech risers cause the handlebars to vibrate more then the stock setup?

I have the same problem with a kink in my right shoulder after an hour or so. I'm 5'8" and I find I have to lean forward a little. Short arms I guess.

I'm just wondering if I should buy the risers or the bar back type.

Bheckel169

The risers were great and there is no discernible vibration with them. Lots of bolts that connect to the plate makes them extremely secure.

Bruce

Bheckel169

I better be clear about the product I purchased. Risers and setbacks are synonomous, but I don't want to confuse you by having you think I bought standard risers. I purchased setbacks from A&S BMW parts online store at, http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1596

They do as I described, lift the handlebar up and toward you. They're designed to reduce neck stiffness and soreness. Sorry for the confusion. Relatively inexpensive.

Bruce

Try dropping your elbows and not stiff arming the grips. That was my problem. My reaction to concentrating was to tighten my grip and hunch up my shoulders. Next thing I knew, my arms were locked and my neck stiff. Now I catch it early and relax my back and shoulders.

Archived