IGNORED

Narrower Handlbars for the R1200GS?

Ken H.

I know Wonderlich makes a set, but according to their catalog they are the same dimensions as OEM. I'd like to loose about 3/4" from each end. Anybody know of any aftermarket ones that fit?

Ken, could you just trim those down?
Well I thought about that. The challenge it seems might be the captive threaded insert that's inside the end of the bar that the bolt goes into. It would then be too close to the bar end point.

Thanks for the link, I'll dig around there.

gettysburg

What about the handle bars off a R1200R?

I was given a R1200R as a loaner bike today, while my RT being serviced. The handlebars on "R" seem to be smaller and more angled than the GS bars. Position sure felt more comfortable then the GS; at least for me.

What about the handle bars off a R1200R?
Now there's a thought!

Anybody have a R1200R that they could take some measurements for me? Is the R handlebar tapered (fatter at the clamps than at the ends) like the GS one is?

gettysburg

Anybody have a R1200R that they could take some measurements for me? Is the R handlebar tapered (fatter at the clamps than at the ends) like the GS one is?

I returned the bike this evening so I can't be sure, but I think the handlebar was a uniform thickness end-to-end.

Don_Eilenberger

Mine are.. (uniform thickness) - and I know the clamp bolt spacing on the GS is different from the R - since I had to modify a GS GPS mount to use on my R (the bolt-to-bolt spacing for each clamp is closer on the R - which might mean the diameter of the bar at the clamp is also smaller.)

I returned the bike this evening so I can't be sure, but I think the handlebar was a uniform thickness end-to-end.

Mine are.. (uniform thickness) - and I know the clamp bolt spacing on the GS is different from the R -
Bummer. Thanks for the info!

Guess I'll keep digging. I have fairly narrow shoulders and I'm getting tired of feeling like my arms are out like a bird all the time.

gettysburg

Guess I'll keep digging. I have fairly narrow shoulders and I'm getting tired of feeling like my arms are out like a bird all the time.

Just get an RT thumbsup.gif

Archived