IGNORED

Gear Oil Renewal

erkmania

I haven't seen much said about renewing the trans oil early in the life of a new RT (2007). Is there a consensus about whether it should be changed before the recommended service interval? I'm of a mind to change mine at the 6K service on the off chance that being OCD is a good thing. I was planning to use some good quality synthetic, but I'm of the understanding that BayEmmVay already uses high quality oil in the new bikes.

Sorry in advance if this topic has cropped up elsewhere.

The interval of 24,000 miles as specified by BMW is fine by me. I just recently changed mine and it came out in pristine condition. It looked brand new aftr being in there for 24k. As for the oil to use. I use Amsoil Long Life Synthetic Gear Lube SAE 75W-90. Why? Because my RT shifts better with it than it does with the BMW 75W-140 synthetic. The Amsoil is API GL-5 so it's approved for use in the hexhead transmission. Also, Amsoil recommends doubling the change interval which I will do this time round given the condition of the oil that was in there for 24k. BTW, my RT has 37,200 miles on the clock now.

I have a 06 RT. I'll consider the Amsoil for the tranny fluid change @ 24K miles...BUT...Is this also reccomended for the final drive fluid?

TIA

I am running the BMW 75w-140 synthetic in my rear drive. The maintenance manual specifies Castrol SAF-XO which is 75W-90 GL-5 synthetic. My owners manual makes no mention of the rear drive oil. Both the BMW and Castrol are API GL-5 as is the Amsoil. The main reason my rear drive has the BMW oil in is that's the oil I had on hand when I did the change. Since my rear drive does not get hot and because the oil that came out was in excellent condition I'm leaving the BMW oil in the rear drive.

So, I would assure that either 75w90 or 75w140 is acceptable?

I would use 75W90 in the FD. The final drive doesn't run hot enough for the thick lube.

Hey,. I just back to checking this thread and noticed my original thank-you post didn't make it to the forum. Hmm. Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

I think I may do a preemptive renewal at the 6000 mile mark anyway. Just kinda figure I should get rid of manufacturing swarf and other debris. I know I'm being a little OCD, but the box is starting to rattle a bit at idle (not unusual since this is a twin that doesn't idle as smoothly as a 4) and shifting isn't quite as smooth as when new. I don't think there's anything mechanically wrong with the gearbox and I'm not particularly worried about it. I just figure if a renewal was good for the FD, then the more complicated gearbox may appreciate fresh goo. smirk.gif

Archived