IGNORED

Bike just won't quit...

another David

another David

As in, I'm at a light, bike is in neutral (I know, I know; but I'm posting in 'Renching, not Ride Well), and it just keeps creeping forward. Not quite fast enough to get my feet up on the pegs, but it wants to move. Stops when I pull the clutch lever in.

Bike is an '04 R1150RS with 31k.

Ok, give it to me straight, doc. How bad is it?

Thanks!

motoguy128

It does sound like the bearings are creating enough drag to transfer some power to the drive shaft. Quite a bit of power if it's enough to start moving. Try changing to a synthetic gearbox fluid and see if that helps. Can't hurt.

Got oil in the tranny??? Can you push the bike with the tranny in neutral? Any noise?? I wouldn't ride it like that until I found the cause. Sounds expen$ive.

Cheers

Steve

It does sound like the bearings are creating enough drag to transfer some power to the drive shaft.

A bad shaft support bearing could cause a load on the engine, but can not transfer power from the gearbox's input shaft to its output shaft.

The only beasings that could possibly casue this would be the bearings in the center of the gears that allow the gears to normally free-wheel on the shafts when in neutral. If one of these bearings were somehow offering resistance to free motion, shaft rotation in neutral could cause the affected gear to try to rotate, thus driving the output shaft.

I have never heard of this happening, but it is possible, I suppose.

Archived