IGNORED

Riden too hard?

ndechant

I'm about to make my first purchase of a touring bike. After years of Honda CBR's I'm ready to actually enjoy the ride. My eyes are really suited to the R1150RT series. I've found some 2004-2002's priced from all over...and then a 2001 snuck up with 111K miles for $3500.

Any opinions on whether or not the 2001 1150RT with 111K miles will be a headache for me or should I buy something with fewer miles.

I'm hoping the high-milers will tell me where they are.

Regards,

If you have the coin, I would try to find a deal on the newest one with the least miles.

I found mine on cycletrader.com

Good deals come up here quite often as well.

And if money is tight, I would look for an 1100RT instead. I don't see much reason to spring for a higher milage 1150.

russell_bynum
And if money is tight, I would look for an 1100RT instead. I don't see much reason to spring for a higher milage 1150.

+1

I know plenty of folks that have put many more miles on their BMW motos... and my previous life was buying and selling bikes at a BMW dealer... so I've seen plenty of RTs with all kinds of numbers on the odometer.

ALL THAT SAID... I'd pass on one with that many miles. There's too many questions that the owner might not want to answer. A good comfort zone on mileage is anything below 60K - that will leave you with plenty of life and you could take that new bike to 200K with much more knowledge of how the bike has been treated.

Next thing to consider. If you find a older bike with just too few miles -- that's a big issue also. If the bike hasn't been ridden consistently, or if it was laid up for a year or so... it's going to need work on those rotting seals. Things are now drying out and I'd be prepared for laying out some cash up front for work to be done. It might make a great negotiating tool - but don't get fooled by the "barely ridden" markup that most sellers will pull over your eyes.

that's my 2.75 cents.

kris

+1 on the R1100RT.

R1100RTs with less than 60K can be had for around $5,000. Most are in very good to excellent condition.

On the other hand, you might be able to work a pretty good deal on a bike with that kind of mileage. There will likely not be a lot of potential buyers.

Gentlemen..I really appreciate the information. It all makes sense. I will eventually settle on one and hope the transition to a touring bike is a smart one. A guy should just get off his wallet and spend some money.....

The 1100RT's are a bit easier to work on without the brake servo and the linked brake stuff. That's a good buy though, especially if you have service records and receipts you can look at.

Well...there is a really nice 2002 1150RT for $9500 that I could swing without having to eat catfood for the rest of the year. 35K miles...so riden in nicely.

Well...there is a really nice 2002 1150RT for $9500 that I could swing without having to eat catfood for the rest of the year. 35K miles...so riden in nicely.

That is not a great deal in my opinion. And make sure you dont eat that tainted Iams catfood.

That is not a great deal in my opinion. And make sure you dont eat that tainted Iams catfood.

+1 on that.

BTW: I'm not a high mileage/experienced rider but when I was shopping just last fall, I found that the right deal will be a matter of time or money.

Meaning, if you can't afford to spend more on any newer low mileage bike, then you should consider affording the time and wait for a better deal - rather than buying an older bike with less miles.

The deals are out there, but just not every day. After 40 days straight of scouring numerous online sources daily, I found a 2004 R2250RT with matching cases on Ebay last October for about $11K. What's more is it only had 2950 miles on it! I was so glad I waited.

Now I don't know though how often that sort of deal comes up, but the more you are willing to drive to a deal farther away also increases your chances of finding the very best deal possible. I was willing to rent a trailer and drive 500 miles to go pick it up.

Good Luck! thumbsup.gif

What ever you decide, I'm sure you will love it. I rode a Suzuki GSXR1100 up until I bought my RT. Just for a frame of reference.........I bought my '00 R1100RT off a board member here 2 years ago with 60K miles on it for $7000. What sealed the deal was that it already had all of the extras and upgrades I would have done myself. It saved me a ton of cash in the long run.

Personaly, at a bare minimum I would look for one that already has an aftermarket seat and suspension. Mine already had a Sargent seat and Ohlins suspension on it when I bought it. Those are both high dollar upgrades that you would most likely end up doing yourself if they weren't already done.

Obviously maintenance history is always the most important thing.......but it never hurts to hold out for a bike with some extras.

My only suggestion would be to hold back a thousand or two to cover problems and "insidentals." If you have the money already in reserve, it won't be such a mood killer when a brake line or tire goes out. If nothing happens after six months, then you've got extra for adding goodies. Either way, just don't max yourself out trying to get more bike than you can keep up.

I've pretty well spent my budget allowence on the bike,insurance, clothing, new front tire, etc. Now I'm down to strapping electrical tape on the rear tire for tread until my funds build back up.

I would consider selling you my 04 with 40K on it for not much more....seriously that is an ok price but nothing to get excited about....

Archived