IGNORED

R1100S buying advice?

iMike

I'm looking to get back into biking and after looking around at various BMW and other bikes, I have settled on the R1100S as the bike of choice. I don't see myself touring so this will mostly be ridden on country roads in a fairly athletic manner, and I'll probably ride it to/from work from time to time also.

Looking to spend $5000-7000 on the bike, as posted elsewhere.

I'm seeing bikes with 20,000 miles and about five or six model years old in that price range.

Can anyone provide some tips on specific things to look for/avoid on the R1100S in this mileage/age range?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm seeing insurance rates of $1000-1200 per year for liability only for this bike ($250/500 coverage). That seems really high to me. I have no violations or claims on my record, and my credit score is excellent.

Any tips on getting a better insurance rate?

W. Mazelin

Check for a good overall service history. Make sure tires/brakes/suspension units are in good shape. Other obvious things like straight wheels & frame. Has anything been "recently replaced" to cover up any damage? As far as insurance - that sounds really high. Maybe you could get a better rate with a company that can can insure all your goods. All our stuff is insured with State Farm, home, autos, & motorcycles; that can make a huge difference. Good luck, enjoy the bike when you get it. Oh, and one more thing, don't be surprised if the "I don't see myself touring" bit flies right out the window! grin.gif

Tool has a R-1100-S for sale too.

specific things to look for/avoid on the R1100S?

Yeah, buy Jim's bike.

Re: insurance, I don't know if Dairyland writes insurance in Arkansas, but they're usually pretty reasonable. Ask the locals who they prefer.

Yeah, buy Jim's bike.

I think I'll ping Jim on this bike. Though 27,000 miles seems a little high? At least I know it would be for a ricer.

chrisolson
Though 27,000 miles seems a little high? At least I know it would be for a ricer.
27K is nothing ... really ...!! '99 is a good year too.
PS. I'm seeing insurance rates of $1000-1200 per year for liability only for this bike ($250/500 coverage). That seems really high to me. I have no violations or claims on my record, and my credit score is excellent.

Any tips on getting a better insurance rate?

A couple of things. Definitely shop around, but also shop benefits too. There's a lot of insurance companies that cover motorcycles as a courtesy... and they don't really provide the coverage that most motorcyclists would expect. A perfect example... if you're in an accident, wouldn't you want your riding gear covered with the bike?

Next. Think about your deductibles. Compare the pricing with a $500 deductible vs. a $1000 deductible. Many times you'll find a $200-$300 annual change between them - which means that after 2-years being claim free... you're keeping more money in your wallet than the extra deductible will cost.

$1200/year - liability only... sounds a tad too high for my taste. Make sure they're rating your experience appropriately also - if you're getting back into riding, make sure the agent understands you're not a new rider - that you've got "X" number of years riding experience before this motorcycle.

Don't forget discounts. BMW MOA, Rider Courses, etc.

Check out Foremost and Markel.

Hope this helps - kris

ps - This is general advice. As a licensed agent in Ca, I am affiliated with Foremost, but please don't see this as a sales pitch... just trying to help keep a little green in your wallet and make sure you're getting the best bang for your buck.

russell_bynum

Yeah, buy Jim's bike.

I think I'll ping Jim on this bike. Though 27,000 miles seems a little high? At least I know it would be for a ricer.

27K is just barely broken in.

Yeah, buy Jim's bike.

27K is just barely broken in.

Actually that is fairly low mileage for an eight year old bike, less than 4K per year. I have 43K on my 2004 R1100S! I would also shop around for insurance as I am paying less than $400 per year thru Drive (Progressive) insurance.

Archived